Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Covid19 1 : Animal cruelty 0.

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 07:11:47 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Well, There is cruelty and cruelty.

Of course, however, it's still 'cruelty' eh.

I used to know somebody who looked after
retired greyhounds.

We meet a few on our regular dog walks.

The can make wonderful pets,

They do indeed, because they are not typically aggressive animals,
however, they were originally bred for coursing (deer / hare etc) and
so are liable to go for anything that looks or moves like that, unless
suitably trained as our first rescue lurcher did once soon after we
got him (no harm done etc).

but care has to be taken
due to their speed.
grin

Well, again, that's a funny thing. Whilst they do like to stretch
their legs now and again (especially when young, play chasing etc),
the more mature / retired dogs are generally happy just to be able
walk.

The point is they aren't endurance animals, they are very fast over a
short distance and then would prefer to sleep the rest of the day. ;-)

If we are out walking the ~15 month old rescue lurcher we are
currently looking after and (daughters) ~5 year old rescue terrier
cross and stop to talk to someone ... the terrier doesn't stop
exploring and sniffing and the lurcher will lay down ... as long as
he's already had a dash about. ;-)

After a 5 mile walk, the lurcher will generally go to sleep and the
terrier is still alert to anything that is going on and if I go to get
out of a chair, he's is on his feet before I've moved an inch.

The problem with us (humans) and other animals is from mostly the
percentage of the population who have the disconnect between the
trusting, loving, pain experiencing sentient creatures they are (in
most cases) and what we are willing to make them do for us, how we
treat and exploit them, for our own entertainment (racing, baiting,
bull fighting [1] ..) or our consumption.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I'm sure I'm not the only one who cheers when I hear of a matador
being gored or killed by the innocent creature they are tormenting and
torturing.