Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RTFM

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldnt see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:15:56 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

What is a pit ?

In this context the small very hard seed found inside some fruits,
like olives or cherries.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

I have less income now than the minimum wage by a huge margin. So I use my time to
save money. I cook, do DIY, sew, mend, repair and in general live the way my postwar
parents taught me, and their Depression era parents taught them. On a shoestring."

The Natural Philosopher

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 14:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its a spellchecked Pipp.

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to
olives?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , michael
adams writes

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries,
Pitted Olives etc.

bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message ...
In article , michael adams
writes

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries, Pitted Olives etc.

Turnip's olives were *unpitted*, obviously.

Otherwise he wouldn't have had to remove the pit that got stuck in
his dishwasher, would he ? Do try and keep up !

As it happens I just happened to be reading about Cyril Connolly.
And one of many of his less endearing habits, was of reading while
eating and leaving olive pits and sardine bones (sic) inside the
pages of the (often other people's) books he was reading.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 14:36, bert wrote:
In article , michael
adams writes

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own
dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries,
Pitted Olives etc.

I was thinking that there must be an awful lot of posh people around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 10/08/2020 14:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its a spellchecked Pipp.

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to
olives?

It is an Americanism that has crept in over the last few decades. We
(English people) used to call it a pip or a stone depending on how
big/hard it was.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:17, Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 10/08/2020 14:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its a spellchecked Pipp.

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to
olives?

It is an Americanism that has crept in over the last few decades. We
(English people) used to call it a pip or a stone depending on how
big/hard it was.

I even had to look up RTFM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 10/08/2020 14:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its a spellchecked Pipp.

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to
olives?

It is an Americanism that has crept in over the last few decades. We
(English people) used to call it a pip or a stone depending on how
big/hard it was.

my mother used the term and she died over 50 years ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:43, charles wrote:
In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 10/08/2020 14:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its a spellchecked Pipp.

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to
olives?

It is an Americanism that has crept in over the last few decades. We
(English people) used to call it a pip or a stone depending on how
big/hard it was.

my mother used the term and she died over 50 years ago.

a lot of people have a pit on each shoulder today...

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message ...
On 10/08/2020 14:36, bert wrote:
In article , michael adams
writes

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries, Pitted Olives etc.

I was thinking that there must be an awful lot of posh people around.

Before Elizabeth David came along, the only people who ate olives in the UK
were Italian and Spanish immigrants and people who'd travelled in Europe.
Olives have always grown well in poor well drained soils and were a part
of their staple diet; not because they tasted nice but because they were easy
to grow and thus cheap to produce. They used to come in big tins from Spain
by the lorryload maybe still do ending up stacked up in the back rooms of
delicatessens.
They've never tasted any better than they did before although people like
to pretend that they do and so that while incredibly cheap to produce they've
never made into Macdonalds or KFC . Although maybe on the odd pizza where
the taste can be disguised with artificial cheese and tomato puree.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 14:57, GB wrote:
On 10/08/2020 14:36, bert wrote:
In article ,
michael adams writes

"jon" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain
pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own
dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries,
Pitted Olives etc.

I was thinking that there must be an awful lot of posh people around.

As demonstrated by Waitroses astonishing sales of single 'carrots' at
the self service tills.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 10/08/2020 14:13, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Its a spellchecked Pipp.

Are you unfamiliar with the terms pitted or unpitted when referring to
olives?

It is an Americanism that has crept in over the last few decades.Â* We
(English people) used to call it a pip or a stone depending on how
big/hard it was.

my mother used the term and she died over 50 years ago.

a lot of people have a pit on each shoulder today...

I bet you really had to pit your brains to come up with that ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:02, Tim Streater wrote:
On 10 Aug 2020 at 14:36:44 BST, bert wrote:

In article , michael
adams writes

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:06:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dishwasher (cheap Miele) was making horrible noises from the drain pump
area. Removing the filter I thought I could feel an olive pit in the
pump inlet...but couldn't see how to get it out..

In desperation I RTFMed. Oh. The cover to the pump is removable by
squeezing a catch and yanking it off,.

Getting it back on took longer than removing the pit.

What is a pit ?

It's what posh people like Turnip who like to mention they own dishwashers and
eat olives, call the stone.

michael adams

Oh come on. Not just Waitrose sell Pitted Prunes, Pitted Cherries,
Pitted Olives etc.

Mr Adams is just a wannabee snob - he can't even get the business of being a
snob right.

He has. The "s" is silent in his case.