Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No HW or CH after drained CH system to fix rad run by Potterton Performa 24

Hi Peeps,

Little stuck, my towel radiator plastic chrome brackets were damaged, so I
drained the CH system and removed the rad.

I drained the CH system from the drain in the garden. When i disconnected the
silver flexi filling loop on the boiler, there was a lot of gurgling from the
Potterton Performa 24 it self - like it was filling up with air or something!!

Then the hot water stopped working -which I wasnt expecting.

Now I have replaced the towel rad, refilled the CH system and bleed the rad.
The pressure gauge on boiler is showing 1.4

However I am still not able to get DHW or CH! The burner is not lighting
either, even if I request CH system to start or open hot water taps, any ideas
on whats going on?

I am suspecting that there is some sort of air lock in the boiler it self, not
sure how to release.

I was trying and ended up turning the PRV on the boiler, now the pressure
gague has dropped to zero and the garden is soaked from the overflow pipe!!

I have tried to refill the system but water just drops out from the overflow
value, I think I have caused another problem and might need to replace the PRV
as well.....

Any suggestions on how to get the burner/DHW/CH working again.....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1444963-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 00:14, Mo wrote:

Hi Peeps,

Little stuck, my towel radiator plastic chrome brackets were damaged, so I
drained the CH system and removed the rad.

I drained the CH system from the drain in the garden. When i
disconnected the
silver flexi filling loop on the boiler, there was a lot of gurgling
from the
Potterton Performa 24 it self - like it was filling up with air or
something!!

Then the hot water stopped working -which I wasnt expecting.

Most combi boilers run the primary hot water circuit through the rads
until you turn the hot tap on. Then a divertion valve short circuits the
primary circuit such that it flows though a plate heat exchanger that
heats the incoming mails water for the taps rather than the rads. Hence
it can't work unless you have a functional primary heating circuit.

Now I have replaced the towel rad, refilled the CH system and bleed the
rad.
The pressure gauge on boiler is showing 1.4

However I am still not able to get DHW or CH! The burner is not lighting
either, even if I request CH system to start or open hot water taps, any
ideas
on whats going on?

I am suspecting that there is some sort of air lock in the boiler it
self, not
sure how to release.

The boiler may have been full of air. Some have a bleed valve internally
that can be used to clear this. Others may have a test program that runs
the boiler pump without actually trying to fire the boiler, to help
purge the boiler.

I was trying and ended up turning the PRV on the boiler, now the pressure
gague has dropped to zero and the garden is soaked from the overflow pipe!!

I have tried to refill the system but water just drops out from the
overflow
value, I think I have caused another problem and might need to replace
the PRV
as well.....

It sounds like the PRV has got some crud caught in it such that it can't
reseat properly. You may need to remove and clean/descale it, or
possibly replace the PRV.

Any suggestions on how to get the burner/DHW/CH working again.....

Once the PRV is sealing correctly, repressurise and bleed any air from
the boiler itself. Then try again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 10/08/2020 00:14, Mo wrote:

I was trying and ended up turning the PRV on the boiler, now the pressure
gague has dropped to zero and the garden is soaked from the overflow pipe!!

I have tried to refill the system but water just drops out from the
overflow
value, I think I have caused another problem and might need to replace
the PRV
as well.....

It sounds like the PRV has got some crud caught in it such that it can't
reseat properly. You may need to remove and clean/descale it, or
possibly replace the PRV.

Any suggestions on how to get the burner/DHW/CH working again.....

Once the PRV is sealing correctly, repressurise and bleed any air from
the boiler itself. Then try again.

If the boiler has lit whilst there is insufficient water in the system it
may be that an overheat stat has €śpopped€ť. These usually need to be
manually reset by pressing a tiny button on the stat itself.

Youll need to look at the boiler service manual to identify the location
of the stat

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Potterton Performa 24 - no hot water bedazzled UK diy 4 October 22nd 19 11:14 PM
determine flow direction in drained-down system at boiler? David Robinson UK diy 5 April 27th 10 12:49 AM
header tank doesn't drain when system is drained Jon Telfer UK diy 3 December 22nd 05 09:02 AM
Potterton Performa 24 john UK diy 0 March 4th 04 08:58 PM
Potterton Performa 24 Combi Boiler john UK diy 1 March 3rd 04 07:35 PM