Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Brakes seizing on electric cars?

In article ,
Xeno wrote:
It has become quite clear to me that all this is going right over *your*
head. Your idea that gears are approximately equal ratios is wrong. The
gear ratios are selected at the design stage to suit the torque and
power curves of the engine countered by the mass of the vehicle. Get
this, the torque converter does not endow an auto with a magical low
gear. It simply multiplies torque through a regenerative process. It
does this at any time the engine is under power acceleration and in any
and every gear.

Think, with epicyclic autos, you don't have the same choice of ratios as
you can have with a manual box. Unless you increase the number of
epicyclic gear sets. The Rolls 4 speed - used in the 50s and 60s - had
rather odd ratios. Not evenly spaced at all. Later four speed units are
simply a 3 speed with effectively an overdrive added. Once 5 speed autos
arrived, they seemed to provide 5 reasonably well chosen ratios.

The 1, 2 & 3 indications on the shift indicator are Lock Ratios
indicating the trans won‘t upshift beyond that ratio.

Wrong, it will to avoid overrevving. Again, what you select with the
lever is simply a suggestion to the car's computer.

Like I've said, that is but an attempt to make the trans foolproof. I
have noted, however, fools are very ingenious and can wreck anything
they turn their hands to.

Remember seeing a Met police spec Rover P6 3500 auto. The selector
mechanism had been modified to prevent it being locked in 1st gear. Now on
that BW 35 version, you couldn't select 1st above a fairly modest speed
anyway. But move off from rest with it locked in 1st, and it would stay in
1st regardless.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 04:55:53 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 12/8/20 9:14 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:17:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 10/08/2020 21:20, charles wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article op.0o5a0m0rwdg98l@glass,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 15:58:47 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 10/08/2020 15:34, charles wrote:
there was 'production line' of D Types, They had lights rather than
indicator arms which was very unusual for the time.
Not on 100mph+ cars..

Arm at 100mph+. Whoops!

That's why they had lights - we were told

D types were exclusively le Mans racers. Probably XKSS or XK120

We were told they were D Type.

wiki says the XSS wasn't built until 1957, afer Jaguar ceased racing. We
went to Brown's Lane in 1956.

The jaguar D type had no indicators at all. Front headlights tail lights
and stop lights

No hazard lights in case of a crash?

Way before that concept appeared on the scene.

We haven't always had hazard lights? Or are you only talking about racing?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0o8udvzkwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

On 10/08/2020 15:34, charles wrote:
there was 'production line' of D Types, They had lights rather
than
indicator arms which was very unusual for the time.
Not on 100mph+ cars..

Arm at 100mph+. Whoops!

That's why they had lights - we were told

D types were exclusively le Mans racers. Probably XKSS or XK120

We were told they were D Type.

wiki says the XSS wasn't built until 1957, afer Jaguar ceased racing.
We
went to Brown's Lane in 1956.

The jaguar D type had no indicators at all. Front headlights tail
lights
and stop lights

No hazard lights in case of a crash?

Way before that concept appeared on the scene.

We haven't always had hazard lights?

Correct, the VW beetle didn't have them.

Or are you only talking about racing?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default The Two Inseparable Trolling Resident Sociopaths together again!

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 03:57:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 13/8/20 12:52 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Xeno wrote:
It has become quite clear to me that all this is going right over *your*
head. Your idea that gears are approximately equal ratios is wrong. The
gear ratios are selected at the design stage to suit the torque and
power curves of the engine countered by the mass of the vehicle. Get
this, the torque converter does not endow an auto with a magical low
gear. It simply multiplies torque through a regenerative process. It
does this at any time the engine is under power acceleration and in any
and every gear.

Think, with epicyclic autos, you don't have the same choice of ratios as
you can have with a manual box. Unless you increase the number of
epicyclic gear sets. The Rolls 4 speed - used in the 50s and 60s - had

Each epicyclic gear train is capable of the following; low reduction,
fast overdrive, moderate reduction, moderate overdrive, reverse
reduction, reverse overdrive, direct drive and, finally, neutral. They
are then compounded to give extra. My wife's Suzuki, for instance, has
an Aisin 441 4 speed auto. It uses a Ravineax compound gearset where 4th
is overdrive. Very much like the old Borg Warner 35 with added overdrive.
The 9 speed 9G-Tronic from Benz only has 4 planetary gearsets to achieve
9 forward speeds plus reverse. That gives the transmission a very wide
9.15 ratio spread. That enables an engine with a relatively narrow power
band to always remain in the *sweet spot* for either optimum performance
or optimum economy.

An interesting point with the ZF 9 speed, as used in the Jeep, is that
5th gear is *direct* and 6 through 9 are *all overdrive ratios*, such is
the state of play with *mandated* fuel economy demands. Note, both these
transmissions will be used with lock up TCs giving a pseudo 10th ratio
as well. How much difference the TC lockup will make depends a lot on
the torque converter's capacity. It can equate to as little as 100 rpm
difference in engine speed to as much as 400+ when locked up.

rather odd ratios. Not evenly spaced at all. Later four speed units are
simply a 3 speed with effectively an overdrive added. Once 5 speed autos
arrived, they seemed to provide 5 reasonably well chosen ratios.

The ratios are chosen with regard to the engine performance and the
expected use of the vehicle. If the ratios aren't ideal, the slack can
be taken up by the torque converter capacity.

The 1, 2 & 3 indications on the shift indicator are Lock Ratios
indicating the trans won€˜t upshift beyond that ratio.

Wrong, it will to avoid overrevving. Again, what you select with the
lever is simply a suggestion to the car's computer.

Like I've said, that is but an attempt to make the trans foolproof. I
have noted, however, fools are very ingenious and can wreck anything
they turn their hands to.

Remember seeing a Met police spec Rover P6 3500 auto. The selector
mechanism had been modified to prevent it being locked in 1st gear. Now on

You have boy racer cops there too, huh?

that BW 35 version, you couldn't select 1st above a fairly modest speed
anyway. But move off from rest with it locked in 1st, and it would stay in
1st regardless.

Some autos don't even give the option of Lock 1.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)