Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are Powered Posthole borers any good?

On Tuesday, 22 August 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, wrote:
Are Powered Posthole borers any good?

I need to make three holes in very stoney ground.
(For 4inch poles, about 12 to 18inch depth.)
Not many holes, but not a lot of time to do the work either!
Is it worth the hire of a petrol powered posthole boring machine?

No. You're more likely to break your wrists if the thing jams.
Just go out and dig.
You need along steel bar to loosen stones etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2020 11:01, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 August 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, wrote:
Are Powered Posthole borers any good?

I need to make three holes in very stoney ground.
(For 4inch poles, about 12 to 18inch depth.)
Not many holes, but not a lot of time to do the work either!
Is it worth the hire of a petrol powered posthole boring machine?

No. You're more likely to break your wrists if the thing jams.
Just go out and dig.
You need along steel bar to loosen stones etc.

Safer with two men.

Best thing in my experience is a Series 3 JCB. You don't need the
hydraulic auger, just prop the post under the back-hoe and push.

Failing that, if you know anyone with horses then borrow their post
thumper (I guess you can hire them). If the ground is bad, you can make
a pilot hole with a suitably beefy steel "chisel". (I have a circus tent
post that some night visitors left behind when disturbed, about 60 cm
long, 40 mm diameter, pointed at one end).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A 20 year old thread resurrected, this must be a candidate for the oldest thread revival.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2020 11:01, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 August 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, wrote:
Are Powered Posthole borers any good?

I need to make three holes in very stoney ground.
(For 4inch poles, about 12 to 18inch depth.)
Not many holes, but not a lot of time to do the work either!
Is it worth the hire of a petrol powered posthole boring machine?

No. You're more likely to break your wrists if the thing jams.
Just go out and dig.
You need along steel bar to loosen stones etc.

The truck mounted ones are good as mass of truck keeps it straight ...
hand held one just throw all over the place when they hits stones.