Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hedge Trimmer Power Polarity

thescullster wrote:

Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?

No, plugging it either way round is fine ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

Thanks

Phil

Assuming that your hedge trimmer is a double insulated device designed
to be used without an earth then it dioesn't matter which wire is
connected to neutral and which to live. All parts of the mains
circuitry are equally well protected from being touched. Except of
course by the blades.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.

Do make sure you fit the joint the right way around! Male pins on the
trimmer side, female on the supply side.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

you could simply fit a plug/socket thatb is polarised.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2020 22:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
thescullster wrote:

[...]

Talking of which . . . Make sure that it's fed from an RCD protected
source just in case you cut through the cable with it!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 July 2020 22:06:37 UTC+1, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

Thanks

Phil

Assuming it's modernish & legally compliant it doesn't matter.

If it turns out to be some crazy contraption created by Kreosan then either way round it'll probably kill you.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
thescullster wrote:

[...]

Don't forget that if you reverse the mains connection, instead of the
teeth of the blades going back and forth, they go forth and back.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2020 22:03, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
thescullster wrote:

Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
Â*live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
Â*joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
Â*orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
Â*neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
Â*rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

Thanks

Phil

Assuming that your hedge trimmer is a double insulated device designed
to be used without an earthÂ* then it dioesn't matter which wire is
connected to neutral and which to live.Â* All parts of the mains
circuitry are equally well protected from being touched.Â* Except of
course by the blades.

Don't forget that if you reverse the mains connection, instead of the
teeth of the blades going back and forth, they go forth and back.

tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2020 22:06, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

Thanks

Phil

Oh dear I hope you don't have DC mains then ......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:33:45 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 15/07/2020 22:06, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys
Bit of a basic question coming up.......

I am fitting a two pin cable joint in my trimmer cable.
There is no earth provision.
The problem I have is that, although the plug and socket joint has
live and neutral terminals in each "half", there is no key in the
joint to ensure the halves are connected in a certain
orientation.
In other words the live supply can easily be applied to the
neutral conductor attached to the trimmer.
Is the live-neutral connection important for this appliance?
If so I will have to junk the joint and dismantle the trimmer to
rewire it each time the cable is damaged.

Thanks

Phil

Oh dear I hope you don't have DC mains then ......

One hates to tinkle on the jolly old bonfire, but it makes no odds!

I believe most hedge trimmers use a universal motor, so to change
direction you have to alter the field coil polarity.

They will work on DC and go in the same direction with any polarity,
so if your local power company finds itself with a surplus of negative
half cycles....... :-)

AB
From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

shirley knott

https://www.avg.com

Three questions about two-stroke gas power tools (chain saw & hedge trimmer & vacuum/blower) Elmo[_6_] Home Repair 14 May 5th 10 02:24 PM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 12:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 06:04 PM
Troubleshooting help for Deere 172 Gas Hedge Trimmer? Joe S Home Repair 0 March 3rd 05 02:51 PM
broken switch on a bosch hedge-trimmer billy Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 10:37 PM