Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing shower mixer upside down

I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

It seems to work okay, but I just want to check that there's no awful
gotcha that I've missed?

I can cross the two pipes over, although it won't improve the looks too
much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

The pipework has the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the
left.

Both showers I have fitted allowed reversing the cartridge to swap the
hot/cold intakes, does yours allow that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2020 16:57, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

The pipework has the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on
the left.

Both showers I have fitted allowed reversing the cartridge to swap the
hot/cold intakes, does yours allow that?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a Triton Naro bar valve, and there's no
mention of that in the installation leaflet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

The pipework has the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on
the left.

Both showers I have fitted allowed reversing the cartridge to swap the
hot/cold intakes, does yours allow that?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a Triton Naro bar valve, and there's no
mention of that in the installation leaflet.

Which says, "The hot water pipe entry MUST be made to the left-hand side
inlet, marked HOT, €˜H or with a red/orange label."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Mine, not a Triton, has hot on the
left too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Both showers I have fitted allowed reversing the cartridge to swap the
hot/cold intakes, does yours allow that?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a Triton Naro bar valve, and there's no
mention of that in the installation leaflet.

With a bar design, difficult to allow for it ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

Seems sensible enough.

One here is a combination type with a bath filling tap & a shower
diverter. It has to be in one way up so the tap points down into
the bath, but, a bit daftly, the shower hose connection is on the
bottom of the casting, so the hose must do a 180 deg bend to go
up to the shower bracket....

The next one will be like yours with shower outlet on top, but
also with a tap!

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2020 18:09:05, Jimk wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

Seems sensible enough.

One here is a combination type with a bath filling tap & a shower
diverter. It has to be in one way up so the tap points down into
the bath, but, a bit daftly, the shower hose connection is on the
bottom of the casting, so the hose must do a 180 deg bend to go
up to the shower bracket....

The next one will be like yours with shower outlet on top, but
also with a tap!

And with the numbers facing away from you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

It seems to work okay, but I just want to check that there's no awful
gotcha that I've missed?

I can cross the two pipes over, although it won't improve the looks too
much.

I have a similar situation. Tested with a hose pipe connected and it
didn't seem to mind but I've never got round to fitting it. I'll be
interested to see the responses.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

Seems sensible enough.

One here is a combination type with a bath filling tap & a shower
diverter. It has to be in one way up so the tap points down into
the bath, but, a bit daftly, the shower hose connection is on the
bottom of the casting, so the hose must do a 180 deg bend to go
up to the shower bracket....

The next one will be like yours with shower outlet on top, but
also with a tap!

And with the numbers facing away from you.

Numbers?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

Seems sensible enough.

One here is a combination type with a bath filling tap & a shower
diverter. It has to be in one way up so the tap points down into
the bath, but, a bit daftly, the shower hose connection is on the
bottom of the casting, so the hose must do a 180 deg bend to go
up to the shower bracket....

The next one will be like yours with shower outlet on top, but
also with a tap!

And with the numbers facing away from you.

Numbers?

Presumably the temperature setting numbers. They'll still be facing you,
but will be upside down. Otherwise, I can't see why it wouldn't ok in
that orientation. Either way up, the valve will remain full of water
after use - so it's not as if it expects to drain when the outlet is
facing downwards.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the
outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

Seems sensible enough.

One here is a combination type with a bath filling tap & a shower
Â*Â* diverter. It has to be in one way up so the tap points down into
Â*Â* the bath, but, a bit daftly, the shower hose connection is on the
Â*Â* bottom of the casting, so the hose must do a 180 deg bend to go
Â*Â* up to the shower bracket....

The next one will be like yours with shower outlet on top, but
Â*Â* also with a tap!

And with the numbers facing away from you.

Numbers?

Presumably the temperature setting numbers. They'll still be facing you,
but will be upside down. Otherwise, I can't see why it wouldn't ok in
that orientation. Either way up, the valve will remain full of water
after use - so it's not as if it expects to drain when the outlet is
facing downwards.

Yes, but same difference. The numbers on mine match up with a marker on
the top of the main body.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2020 16:44, GB wrote:
I have an external shower mixer I have just replaced. The pipework has
the hot on the right, but the mixer requires it on the left. As a
temporary fix, I have installed the mixer upside down, so the outlet to
the flexible hose comes out of the top.

It seems to work okay, but I just want to check that there's no awful
gotcha that I've missed?

I can cross the two pipes over, although it won't improve the looks too
much.

I ran one like that for years with no problem. I just rant the flexi via
a clip so as not to kink it.

Shower was installed as a fixed overhead job but STWNFI didn't like it
hence changing to flexi.

Mike