Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Difficulty finding *small* sheets (A4 size approx) of Formica orsimilar

On 15/07/2020 11:18, MM wrote:
I need thin (0.5mm), very hard plastic sheet (Formica, Melamine etc)
for covering a capentry wood cutting jig.

So far I've searched on Amazon and eBay, but have found very little
*small* sheets. Nearly all such sheet material comes in large sizes. I
only need a piece approximately 50mm square.

I even thought of buying a length of white Contiboard and sawing with
a hacksaw just under the surface so as to separate the plastic from
the chipboard. Another idea would be to immerse a piece in water for
24 hours, which should soften the chipboard considerably, perhaps only
needing a craft knife to separate the plastic from the chipboard.

MM

I had about a dozen pieces of such surface coverings, each with a
different pattern and about 2"x3" with a hole punched in the corner and
held together with a small chain.

Samples from a kitchen unit supplier, like this...

https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/ki...orktop-samples

Or type "Formica sample" into ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMPLE-Fo...AOSw09ZeOe1 r

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GALACTIC-...AOSwDRxbZZU E

Incidentally, 'Formica' was originally developed as a replacement for mica.

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2020 13:56:50 UTC+1, MM wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 09:34:58 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 July 2020 17:14:33 UTC+1, MM wrote:
On 15 Jul 2020 15:23:49 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:
MM wrote:

I need thin (0.5mm), very hard plastic sheet (Formica, Melamine etc)
for covering a capentry wood cutting jig.

I don't quite follow - what properties does it need? Is this about
flatness/rigidity, or about resistance to tools?

It has to be flat and it has to resist wear from a tenon saw or
Japanese pull saw. And my kitchen worktop has withstood 16 years of
wear and tear (albeit not with saws!) and is barely marked. So I
reckoned that that's the material to use. Just the thin hard plastic
coating.

Ah. Formica, worktops, plastics, FR3-ish, none will offer any significant resistance to sawblade wear. Spring steel does.

Maybe, but if I attach the "face protector" slip using e.g. spray
mount, I could replace it with a new piece when it gets scuffed.

MM

As you said. Why not be sensible and glue something on that'll last a while?

NT