Antony

Default when to sand floor

We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and
windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

tia

Antony
Ian Stirling

Antony wrote:
We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and
windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though.
Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak
in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've
then got less chance to damage the surface.
Ian Stirling

Antony wrote:
We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and
windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though.
Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak
in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've
then got less chance to damage the surface.

Do make very sure that all varnishes and stuff are totally set, otherwise
the dust may get to them.
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:
Antony wrote:

We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and
windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though.
Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak
in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've
then got less chance to damage the surface.

Do make very sure that all varnishes and stuff are totally set, otherwise
the dust may get to them.

Conversely, sand em first to get the crap out of the way, and cover with
tough membrane and tape it all up.

Varnish last, backing out the door..

Ian Stirling

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Antony wrote:

We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and
windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though.
Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak
in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've
then got less chance to damage the surface.

Do make very sure that all varnishes and stuff are totally set, otherwise
the dust may get to them.

Conversely, sand em first to get the crap out of the way, and cover with
tough membrane and tape it all up.

I tend to always find that the tough membrane has a pinkhole in exactly
the wrong place, and the most staining substance finds that unerringly.

Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote:
Antony wrote:

We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and
windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though.
Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak
in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've
then got less chance to damage the surface.

Do make very sure that all varnishes and stuff are totally set, otherwise
the dust may get to them.

Conversely, sand em first to get the crap out of the way, and cover with
tough membrane and tape it all up.

I tend to always find that the tough membrane has a pinkhole in exactly
the wrong place, and the most staining substance finds that unerringly.

Err, that should of course be pinhole.
The other rather changes the meaning from the one I intended.