DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water filter cartridges (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/66588-water-filter-cartridges.html)

JK August 25th 04 12:04 PM

Water filter cartridges

New house has an under-sink water filter system. The tap is a rather
nice one made by Franke and the filtration system is called Triflow. I
feel I should replace the cartridge as I have no idea how old the old
one is. Anyone know a good/cheap supplier online?

Also, does one have to fit a particular brand of filter unit, or are
they a generic size?

Many thanks,

John

Neil Jones August 25th 04 12:10 PM

JK wrote:
New house has an under-sink water filter system. The tap is a rather
nice one made by Franke and the filtration system is called Triflow. I
feel I should replace the cartridge as I have no idea how old the old
one is. Anyone know a good/cheap supplier online?

I have bought replacement Triflow cartridges from

http://www.water-systems.co.uk/

They certainly seem to filter out the iron particles in my water supply
as effectively as the original one.

I replace ours when the flow slows down noticably which is precumably
when the filter is clogged up.

Neil

Stuart August 25th 04 12:16 PM

JK wrote:

New house has an under-sink water filter system. The tap is a rather
nice one made by Franke and the filtration system is called Triflow. I
feel I should replace the cartridge as I have no idea how old the old
one is. Anyone know a good/cheap supplier online?

Also, does one have to fit a particular brand of filter unit, or are
they a generic size?

They are not all the same. http://www.pureflo.co.uk/ are ok. You could
always replace the cartridge type to a different one.

S.

JK August 25th 04 12:23 PM

Neil Jones wrote:

JK wrote:

New house has an under-sink water filter system. The tap is a rather
nice one made by Franke and the filtration system is called Triflow. I
feel I should replace the cartridge as I have no idea how old the old
one is. Anyone know a good/cheap supplier online?

I have bought replacement Triflow cartridges from

http://www.water-systems.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll givethem a try

They certainly seem to filter out the iron particles in my water supply
as effectively as the original one.

Surely a tea strainer would do that!

I replace ours when the flow slows down noticably which is precumably
when the filter is clogged up.

They say 6 months. I wonder how bad the consequences would be if you
never bothered.

JK August 25th 04 12:24 PM

Stuart wrote:

JK wrote:

New house has an under-sink water filter system. The tap is a rather
nice one made by Franke and the filtration system is called Triflow. I
feel I should replace the cartridge as I have no idea how old the old
one is. Anyone know a good/cheap supplier online?

Also, does one have to fit a particular brand of filter unit, or are
they a generic size?

They are not all the same. http://www.pureflo.co.uk/ are ok. You could
always replace the cartridge type to a different one.

S.

Looks a bit too complicated, I just want to drop in a compatible, it's
one of a million jobs I have in the new place.

Neil Jones August 25th 04 12:40 PM

JK wrote:
Neil Jones wrote:

JK wrote:

New house has an under-sink water filter system. The tap is a
rather nice one made by Franke and the filtration system is called
Triflow. I feel I should replace the cartridge as I have no idea
how old the old one is. Anyone know a good/cheap supplier online?

I have bought replacement Triflow cartridges from

http://www.water-systems.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll givethem a try

They certainly seem to filter out the iron particles in my water
supply as effectively as the original one.

Surely a tea strainer would do that!

Well, not really. The iron is in suspension in my supply - I think part
of the main is the old iron pipe some I imagine this is where it picks
it up from.

I replace ours when the flow slows down noticably which is precumably
when the filter is clogged up.

They say 6 months. I wonder how bad the consequences would be if you
never bothered.

In our case, you wouldn't get any water eventually.

The part number I have bought from Greene's (from the previous link) is
064723. They are about £25 each - I don't know how much a real Triflow
cartridge costs from Triflow Avilion.

Neil

Neil

JK August 25th 04 02:07 PM

Neil Jones wrote:

The part number I have bought from Greene's (from the previous link) is
064723. They are about £25 each - I don't know how much a real Triflow
cartridge costs from Triflow Avilion.

Just ordered one. Avilion don't seem to sell direct from their site.
Given this one is made under the Doulton brand I guess it will be fine.

Graham Wilson August 25th 04 08:28 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:23:23 +0100, JK wrote:

They say 6 months. I wonder how bad the consequences would be if you
never bothered.

My parents own a narrow boat.

It has a very advanced water filtration system.

As you can imagine, many of the water supply taps located on the
canal/river system are situated miles from the main supply pipes. This
means that the water can sit in the pipes for long periods of time.

In particular, there is a serious problem from the use of lead piping.
Running the tap for several minutes does not always solve the problem.

I know that the boat's water system will eventually shut down if the
cartridges can no longer properly filter the water.

I presume you don't have that luxury with a simple water filter
cartridge.

The big risk must be that bacteria starts to breed in a simple water
filter cartridge.

Graham

Neil Jones August 26th 04 09:19 AM

Graham Wilson wrote:
The big risk must be that bacteria starts to breed in a simple water
filter cartridge.

I don't know about that - the incoming water is chlorinated to eliminate
bacteria, isn't it? You would only have this risk for water which had
sat in the filter for a long time before you used it. All the filters I
have seen advise you to run the water to waste for a minute or two if it
hasn't been used for a few days.

Neil

Graham Wilson August 26th 04 06:06 PM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:19:55 +0100, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

I don't know about that - the incoming water is chlorinated to eliminate
bacteria, isn't it? You would only have this risk for water which had
sat in the filter for a long time before you used it. All the filters I
have seen advise you to run the water to waste for a minute or two if it
hasn't been used for a few days.

Apparently, live bacteria growing inside the cartridge can pass from
the filter and into the drinking water.

Graham