Grunff

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:
SO I'm doing the bathroom...

Round the bath edge - I've got 2 tiles that just don't want to stay on
the wall. Every other one is there sound and solid. Thelse last twop
- oh no.

Anyone got any suggestions. It's onto clean plaster that has been
sealed with a light PVA solution (as my first try) and they still
won't stick to the wall. Bloody troublesome little buggers.

They are 1/2 tiles - so not tiny little things.

Using howtex waterproof adhesive.

Everything else has gone well - just these 2.

Anyone got any peals of wisdom?

So what exactly happens? Does the adhesive stick to the tiles? Does it
stick to the wall? Do they fall off when the adhesive sets?

--
Grunff

Grunff

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

They start of sat nicely on the wall - but when the adhesive goes off
it appears to lift away from the wall - leaving the tile sounding if
not fully - at least in part hollow when you tap it - meaning that it
isnt' stuck.

Any chance they are being squeezed by bath-wall movement?

--
Grunff

Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-08-23, Grunff wrote:
Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:
Round the bath edge - I've got 2 tiles that just don't want to stay on
the wall. Every other one is there sound and solid. Thelse last twop
- oh no.

Anyone got any suggestions. It's onto clean plaster that has been
sealed with a light PVA solution (as my first try) and they still
won't stick to the wall. Bloody troublesome little buggers.

They are 1/2 tiles - so not tiny little things.

Using howtex waterproof adhesive.

Everything else has gone well - just these 2.

Anyone got any peals of wisdom?

So what exactly happens? Does the adhesive stick to the tiles? Does it
stick to the wall? Do they fall off when the adhesive sets?

I knew I'd forgotten something

They start of sat nicely on the wall - but when the adhesive goes off
it appears to lift away from the wall - leaving the tile sounding if
not fully - at least in part hollow when you tap it - meaning that it
isnt' stuck.

I remove them at that point - clean off adhesive and try again - but
it only seems to be in the very final stage of the adhesive going off
that this happens - as the moisture from the adhesive has definately
contacted the wall as the plaster on the wall is left damp.

It's very odd - and a right sod.

Might have to be some no more nails on the adhesive when the tile
falls off so that the bed of it is set right.

Cheers
Dan.
The Natural Philosopher

On 2004-08-23, Grunff wrote:

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

[...]

I tried some evostick waterproof tile adhesive, and as far as I could
tell it WAS 'no more nails' in a pot. Grabbed like buggery, and
impossible to wash off afterwards - so clean up after laying.

I'll use it next time. Best I have come across, tho I haven't used that
many.

Car body filler is my weapon of last resort. But make sure everything is
dry before using it.

Cheers
Dan.

stuart noble

They start of sat nicely on the wall - but when the adhesive goes off
it appears to lift away from the wall - leaving the tile sounding if
not fully - at least in part hollow when you tap it - meaning that it
isnt' stuck.

I remove them at that point - clean off adhesive and try again - but
it only seems to be in the very final stage of the adhesive going off
that this happens - as the moisture from the adhesive has definately
contacted the wall as the plaster on the wall is left damp.

If you're mixing the adhesive from a powder, I'd say it needs to be
sloppier. All these things hang on initially by suction, replaced by
adhesion as they dry. Try slapping a load of ready mix tile adhesive on the
back of the tile and pushing it flush with the rest. Gives you a lot of
excess to clear off but that has to stick.
Bathroom floor I did last week just won't dry in this weather. Solid floor,
shady location, unhappy customer.......

Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-08-24, Grunff wrote:
Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

They start of sat nicely on the wall - but when the adhesive goes off
it appears to lift away from the wall - leaving the tile sounding if
not fully - at least in part hollow when you tap it - meaning that it
isnt' stuck.

Any chance they are being squeezed by bath-wall movement?

Nope - they are not touching on the top of the bath - a couple of mm
clear - and we aren't using the bath for the 48 hours that the
adhesive shoudl take worst case to go off.

It's all rather puzzling...

Cheers
Dan.
Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-08-24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I tried some evostick waterproof tile adhesive, and as far as I could
tell it WAS 'no more nails' in a pot. Grabbed like buggery, and
impossible to wash off afterwards - so clean up after laying.

Hmmm - hadn't thought of that - I did try using Unibond Waterproof
tile adhesive as it claims to be able to be used for putting tiles
over tiles. That's a load of arse if ever I heard it. All it did was
eat the sheets that my small band of mosaic tiles were on - and then
48 hours later let all the mosaics fall in the bath. *******s - won't
use that crap again.

On the whole this howtex stuff has been unbelievable - it's just been
so good - except on these two tiles.

Cheers
Dan.

Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-08-24, stuart noble wrote:

If you're mixing the adhesive from a powder, I'd say it needs to be
sloppier. All these things hang on initially by suction, replaced by
adhesion as they dry. Try slapping a load of ready mix tile adhesive on the
back of the tile and pushing it flush with the rest. Gives you a lot of
excess to clear off but that has to stick.
Bathroom floor I did last week just won't dry in this weather. Solid floor,
shady location, unhappy customer.......

Premixed I'm afraid

I'll try the "plenty" approach tonight. If that doesn't work - in 2
days time - I'll no more nails the adhesive on the back of the tile
from when it falls off to the damn wall

Cheers
Dan.