David King

Default Damp in walls

Can someone please help,

I've recently found some damp in an upstairs bedroom. The damp is well into
the paster, but how can I tell if its bieng caused by interal codensations
or if its penitrating from the outside.

Dave King
Liverpool

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"David King" writes:
Can someone please help,

I've recently found some damp in an upstairs bedroom. The damp is well into
the paster, but how can I tell if its bieng caused by interal codensations
or if its penitrating from the outside.

Look at the outside for signs of pointing worse than areas which
aren't damp, leaking gutters or downpipes, etc.

One way I heard is to stick aluminium foil over the area.
If condensation forms on the room side, then the damp is condensation.
If condensation forms on the wall side, then the damp is coming from
the wall. I did try this once, but I couldn't get the aluminium foil
to stay on the wall, which confirmed a damp problem, but was otherwise
rather inconclusive! (I since learned it was a condensation problem;
it was the coldest corner in a cold room, and the problem was solved
when central heating installed.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Rouse

In article , David King
writes
Can someone please help,

I've recently found some damp in an upstairs bedroom. The damp is well into
the paster, but how can I tell if its bieng caused by interal codensations
or if its penitrating from the outside.

Get some putty and make a 'sausage' with it. Form it into a ring a
couple of inches in diameter. Stick it on the wall. Stick a 3 inch
square of glass onto the putty. Leave overnight. If condensation forms
on the wall side of the glass, the moisture is coming from the wall. If
it forms on the outside of the glass it is coming from the room. If it
forms on both sides - move.

J.
--
John Rouse

jerrybuilt

David King wrote:
"John Rouse" wrote...
David King writes
Can someone please help,

I've recently found some damp in an upstairs bedroom. The
damp is well into the paster, but how can I tell if its
bieng caused by interal codensations or if its penitrating
from the outside.

Get some putty and make a 'sausage' with it. Form it into a
ring a couple of inches in diameter. Stick it on the wall.
Stick a 3 inch square of glass onto the putty. Leave overnight.
If condensation forms on the wall side of the glass, the
moisture is coming from the wall. If it forms on the outside of
the glass it is coming from the room. If it forms on both sides
- move.

The plaster is wet, so this won't give any meaningful answer.

Is this a cavity wall?