DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Waterproofing a parachute (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/65287-waterproofing-parachute.html)

D.M. Procida August 15th 04 11:09 PM

Waterproofing a parachute

What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

The Natural Philosopher August 16th 04 11:37 AM

D.M. Procida wrote:

What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele

Very hard to achieve without losing some flexibility.

Linseed oil thinned down may work.

Or whatever it is that they use on barbour jackets...

Cicero August 16th 04 11:48 AM

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele
--

snipped

=================
Look in a camping / tent shop for 'Nev' water proofing liquid. Or try
'googling' for 'Nev' which should give you some more information about other
similar products before you buy.

Cic.

Gordon Henderson August 16th 04 12:00 PM

In article ,
Cicero wrote:

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Look in a camping / tent shop for 'Nev' water proofing liquid. Or try
'googling' for 'Nev' which should give you some more information about other
similar products before you buy.

Seconded. If you can't find that look for some of the Nikwax products
(they are not waxy!) Look for the stuff for Paramo jackets...

Gordon

adder August 16th 04 12:52 PM

(D.M. Procida) wrote in message ...
What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele

Waterproofing liquid from an outdoors type shop?

Peter Parry August 16th 04 05:51 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:09:52 +0100,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

Silicone oil. Sold as waterproofing agent in camping shops - looks
like water and won't affect the material properties.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Unfortunately the billowing will make the waterproofing less
effective over time.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

FrancisJK August 17th 04 01:11 PM

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140

Is it so you won't get wet on the way down?!

Francis

D.M. Procida August 17th 04 01:19 PM

FrancisJK wrote:

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Is it so you won't get wet on the way down?!

I've not tried going down in the hammock, but in fact you can manage all
kinds of things if you want to.

Daniele

adder August 18th 04 11:55 AM

(D.M. Procida) wrote in message ...
What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Cantrerbury in the
mid-90's are you???!

D.M. Procida August 18th 04 12:16 PM

adder wrote:

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Cantrerbury in the
mid-90's are you???!

Probably. It would be too much of a coincidence otherwise I suspect.

Daniele

FrancisJK August 18th 04 03:48 PM

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
FrancisJK wrote:

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and

it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Is it so you won't get wet on the way down?!

I've not tried going down in the hammock, but in fact you can manage all
kinds of things if you want to.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140

How do you get down off a hammock?

Francis

Bob Eager August 18th 04 05:29 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:55:15 UTC, (adder) wrote:

(D.M. Procida) wrote in message ...
What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain?
I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it
doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Cantrerbury in the
mid-90's are you???!

Probably. I know Daniele was there in the mid 90s...only too well!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Badger August 19th 04 12:19 AM

FrancisJK wrote:

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and

it

doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Grangers Fabsil, not cheap, but good stuff!

Pete C August 19th 04 09:53 PM

On 18 Aug 2004 03:55:15 -0700, (adder) wrote:

Daniele

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Cantrerbury in the
mid-90's are you???!

Hi,

Did it blow up shortly after purchase? :)))

cheers,
Pete.

adder August 23rd 04 11:33 AM

Pete C wrote in message . ..
On 18 Aug 2004 03:55:15 -0700, (adder) wrote:

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Canterbury in the
mid-90's are you???!

Hi,

Did it blow up shortly after purchase? :)))

cheers,
Pete.

The only thing that blew up was the bonnet - the car hit a bump and
the bonnet catch released itself at about 80mph on the motorway =:o

Yes, it's coming back to me now. Daniele was moving down to wales,
taking his newly aquired Fiat with him, which probably has blown up by
now :-)

Terry August 24th 04 08:01 PM

"adder" wrote in message
m...
Pete C wrote in message

. ..
On 18 Aug 2004 03:55:15 -0700, (adder) wrote:

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Canterbury in the
mid-90's are you???!

Hi,

Did it blow up shortly after purchase? :)))

cheers,
Pete.

The only thing that blew up was the bonnet - the car hit a bump and
the bonnet catch released itself at about 80mph on the motorway =:o

Yes, it's coming back to me now. Daniele was moving down to wales,
taking his newly aquired Fiat with him, which probably has blown up by
now :-)

Interesting people!
What attracted me to this thread was "Waterproof parachute"!
I figured anyone crazy enough to jump out of a plane wouldn't notice, let
alone mind, a bit of rain?
And now we have cars that 'blow up'; well not terrorist style blow ups!
Huh?

Zikki Malambo August 25th 04 01:33 PM

"FrancisJK" wrote in message ...

How do you get down off a hammock?