DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cold and Painting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6516-cold-painting.html)

Stuart February 28th 04 09:34 AM

Cold and Painting

Is there a cold temperature limit to painting (oil Based). It is
resantly -4C here and perfectly dry and I am about to start painting
outside, will the paint cure properly?

Michael McNeil February 28th 04 10:22 AM

Cold and Painting

"Stuart" wrote in message

Is there a cold temperature limit to painting (oil Based). It was
recently -4C here and perfectly dry and I am about to start painting
outside, will the paint cure properly?

There shouldn't be a problem if there is no moisture on the work. If
there is the slightest amount frozen in, your paint will come off in a
few months if not sooner. Why on earth are you in such an hurry?

Harry Bloomfield February 28th 04 10:35 AM

Cold and Painting

On 28/02/2004 Stuart opined:-
Is there a cold temperature limit to painting (oil Based). It is
resantly -4C here and perfectly dry and I am about to start painting
outside, will the paint cure properly?

Certainly not a good idea....

I assume the items you intend painting are wood, which will likely be
at their highest moisture level at this time of year as well as. I
usually leave outdoor painting to the cooler but dry days of the late
summer.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Stuart February 28th 04 05:10 PM

Cold and Painting

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:fde2f50550f226ca38ed77531a788caa.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Stuart" wrote in message

Is there a cold temperature limit to painting (oil Based). It was
recently -4C here and perfectly dry and I am about to start painting
outside, will the paint cure properly?

There shouldn't be a problem if there is no moisture on the work. If
there is the slightest amount frozen in, your paint will come off in a
few months if not sooner.

I was painting guttering!.......ran a blow tourch over just before painting
to eliminate any dampness, especially arond joints!

Why on earth are you in such an hurry?

It has to be finnished by Tuesday!