Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 18V tools: - Makita seems to be favourite

Dave Plowman wrote:

Does that mean some Makita products are actually made here?

Yes, several of mine are, others are variously Japan, China or Romania
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 07/07/2020 11:21, John Rumm wrote:
Makita acquired Dolmar in 1991.

https://www.chainsawsdirect.com/stor...Chainsaws.html

I had a recollection they had bought them - did not realise it was that
long ago though!

(never seen any Makita branded petrol saws in Dolmar colours though, as
suggested in the article)

It's a US site so may only apply there.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Milwaukee is American, that is enough to put me off these days.
Apparently Makita have factories in the UK, Germany, etc.

Does that mean some Makita products are actually made here? Or indeed
Germany?

You prompted me to go look at mine and take a photo of the plates...

Apparently I have 3 from China, 2 from England, 3 from Germany[1], 7
from Japan, and 1 from Romania.

[1] Includes the chainsaw which is missing part of its label - includes
a German address, but not a "made in" statement.

Lidl Power stools usually give Germany as their place of origin. But I'd
be most surprised if they are made there.

or made by Lidl for that matter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 08/07/2020 19:23, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* newshound wrote:
Milwaukee is American, that is enough to put me off these days.
Apparently Makita have factories in the UK, Germany, etc.

Does that mean some Makita products are actually made here? Or indeed
Germany?

You prompted me to go look at mine and take a photo of the plates...

Apparently I have 3 from China, 2 from England, 3 from Germany[1], 7
from Japan, and 1 from Romania.

[1] Includes the chainsaw which is missing part of its label - includes
a German address, but not a "made in" statement.

Lidl Power stools usually give Germany as their place of origin. But I'd
be most surprised if they are made there.

In these days of globalisation 'place of origin' is a rather flexible
concept.

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e...roi_info_e.htm

Rules of origin are the criteria needed to determine the national source
of a product. Their importance is derived from the fact that duties and
restrictions in several cases depend upon the source of imports.

There is wide variation in the practice of governments with regard to
the rules of origin. While the requirement of substantial transformation
is universally recognized, some governments apply the criterion of
change of tariff classification, others the ad valorem percentage
criterion and yet others the criterion of manufacturing or processing
operation.