Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any keen gardeners around?

Our rather large lawn is partially under large trees (over the fence
unfortunately) and therefore tends to have a lot of moss growing over
the winter. Also the soil there is not of very good quality.

We tend to use one of these a couple of times a year (spring and late
summer)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EverGreen...g/303557930808
which, by the end of the summer, seems to get rid of most of the moss
and makes the grass look much healthier.

A friend suggested going for the more commercial product instead which
costs only a fraction of the price. Something like this one:
https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/p...pplied-in-tub/

Are they effectively the same thing? There are plenty of other similar
looking products on their website and I am not sure which one to choose
(I prefer something sprayable)

I want something that will both kill the moss and fertilise the grass.

Many thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe Wrote in message:
[...]

Prune the overhanging branches?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 20:48, JoeJoe wrote:
Our rather large lawn is partially under large trees (over the fence
unfortunately) and therefore tends to have a lot of moss growing over
the winter. Also the soil there is not of very good quality.

We tend to use one of these a couple of times a year (spring and late
summer)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EverGreen...g/303557930808
which, by the end of the summer, seems to get rid of most of the moss
and makes the grass look much healthier.

A friend suggested going for the more commercial product instead which
costs only a fraction of the price. Something like this one:
https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/p...pplied-in-tub/

Are they effectively the same thing?

No. 4 in one also has weedkillers in it

There are plenty of other similar
looking products on their website and I am not sure which one to choose
(I prefer something sprayable)

I want something that will both kill the moss and fertilise the grass.

if weeds are not an issue this one should be fine

Many thanks.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 20:48, JoeJoe wrote:
Our rather large lawn is partially under large trees (over the fence
unfortunately) and therefore tends to have a lot of moss growing over
the winter. Also the soil there is not of very good quality.

We tend to use one of these a couple of times a year (spring and late
summer)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EverGreen...g/303557930808
which, by the end of the summer, seems to get rid of most of the moss
and makes the grass look much healthier.

A friend suggested going for the more commercial product instead which
costs only a fraction of the price. Something like this one:
https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/p...pplied-in-tub/

Are they effectively the same thing?

No. 4 in one also hasÂ* weedkillers in it

I try to buy my spring weed and feed when they are giving everything
away in September to make room for Dracula's cave/Santa's Grotto.

This year promises to be very good for unsold spring use products...

If there are only a few weeds or you like your wild flower collection in
the lawn then spot weeding with Verdone is more cost effective anyway.

Â*There are plenty of other similar
looking products on their website and I am not sure which one to
choose (I prefer something sprayable)

I want something that will both kill the moss and fertilise the grass.

if weeds are not an issue this one should be fine

+1

But you do have to dilute it and use it right. Cutting it 50:50 with
ammonium sulphate makes it go further and adds the fertiliser component.

Be aware that any spills will stain paths with orange rusty marks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the lawn is watered by a sprinkler some bits do tend to get moss where
the water puddles here. By far the worst though is the concrete. Moss as
soon as you go away for a couple of weeks.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
JoeJoe Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 21:21, Jimk wrote:
JoeJoe Wrote in message:
[...]

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 23:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 20:48:37 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

The Evergreen 4-in-1 will kill the moss and weeds and also fertilise
the lawn. Sulphate of iron will just kill the moss. The 4-in-1 is
probably granular and may come in a box fitted with a spout for
scattering it over the lawn by hand. The sulphate of iron will need to
be watered on, preferably from a plastic watering can. It will stain
your hands so wear gloves when handling it.

You get moss where the soil tends to stay moist because of poor
drainage and shade. You can't do much about the latter, but if you
spike the lawn all over with a garden fork and then brush in some sand
or coarse compost to fill the holes, that will help improve the
drainage and the soil won't be so damp. https://tinyurl.com/ycnejs6q
or
https://www.amateurgardening.com/vid...erlogged-lawns

Great tip - thanks!

Will give it a go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:49:39 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do
something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their
trees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson Wrote in message:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:49:39 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do
something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their
trees.

TPO ?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2020 08:36, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Late June/July is ther best time to get seed and garden stuff going
cheap in the supermarkets,

This year promises to be very good for unsold spring use products...

If there are only a few weeds or you like your wild flower collection in
the lawn then spot weeding with Verdone is more cost effective anyway.

Â*Â*There are plenty of other similar
looking products on their website and I am not sure which one to
choose (I prefer something sprayable)

I want something that will both kill the moss and fertilise the grass.

if weeds are not an issue this one should be fine

+1

But you do have to dilute it and use it right. Cutting it 50:50 with
ammonium sulphate makes it go further and adds the fertiliser component.

Be aware that any spills will stain paths with orange rusty marks.

Add some garden lime to the affected area too. Moss hates it and
grass thrives on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2020 17:12, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:49:39 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do
something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their
trees.

Council land. Have tried for the last 10+ years. They are not interested...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
On 19/06/2020 17:12, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:49:39 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do
something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their
trees.

Council land. Have tried for the last 10+ years. They are not
interested...

you are quite entitled to cut off branches that overhang your property.
But, you must offer them the branches.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2020 15:25, charles wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
On 19/06/2020 17:12, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:49:39 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do
something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their
trees.

Council land. Have tried for the last 10+ years. They are not
interested...

you are quite entitled to cut off branches that overhang your property.
But, you must offer them the branch

Around 10m above ground. The main problem is that the trees block the sun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/20 15:25, charles wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
On 19/06/2020 17:12, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:49:39 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Not an option. Should have made it clearer - very large trees on public
land to the south of our garden, blocking a lot of the sun. Some
overhang, 10m above ground...

Complain to the owner (council/highway authority?) and get them to do
something about it. No reason for you to be inconvenienced by their
trees.

Council land. Have tried for the last 10+ years. They are not
interested...

you are quite entitled to cut off branches that overhang your property.
But, you must offer them the branches.

Not if there is a TPO on it. There are exceptions
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tree-preservation-orders-and-trees-in-conservation-areas#limitations
but even then you have to be careful. Thee aren't too many pieces of
legislation with unlimited fines!

--

Jeff