Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to make a hearth for a woodburner in the shed?

A small stone outbuilding I am fixing up to be reasonably warm and dry as a workshop / office / store. The floor is concrete poured onto a polythene sheet onto the earth floor. I am going to fix 2x1 battens to the concrete with some polystyrene or something between them and lay softwood t&G floorboards onto the battens. about 40-45mm in total height. I want to have a hearth in the corner for a possible woodburner if the space is used as an office..

I can do wood but I am not so good with sand and cement, so how do I make an attractive 4' x 4' hearth? Stone paving slabs? tiles? old bricks? they would all do, but how do I do it? Do I start with a timber frame around the area? Can I put any insulation in? vermiculite? Thermawrap? What do I put under the slabs or quarry tiles to make up the height? What do I bed them down on? and how do I make the joins? The heat from a stove - will it crack stone? or cause other distortions?

Advice appreciated

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

My suggestion to do it cheaply would be 3x2 2" thick high density
concrete paving slabs as the base with the same or slightly nicer
ornamental stone flags on top. They don't object to heat once dry.

My own wood burner sits on a slate hearth. About 1cm thick on concrete.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/20 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

The woodburner in our lounge - already fitted when we bought the place -
sits on imitation York stone paving 50 mm thick, with mortar between the
stones. It is about 1500 x 800 mm overall. One of the joins has a narrow
crack along just about all its 1500 mm length. I must say that although
it serves a purpose, I've never thought the stones were particularly
attractive.

I wondered if for your purposes, to avoid mortar, you could build a
wooden frame to hold block paving (as used for drives and patios), and
if you needed to use fine, kiln-dried sand to hold them in place.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

Probably the cheapest way is to set-up a form (which can be any shape
you like) and pour a concrete hearth: use extra fines in the mix and
float the top to give the finish you want, or add a self-levelling
screed layer, or investigate concrete polishing. Alternatively just bed
paving slabs, bricks, a piece of slate - anything that won't burn or
crack - on mortar.
To state the obvious: whatever you do needs to be built off the slab,
not over any insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman Wrote in message:
On 17/06/20 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

Spider farm! :-)

Might be a pain to sweep clean too?

Smooth surfaces best imho...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

That last is a requirement?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 08:53, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/20 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

No worse than anything else in a shed, and I doubt they like all that
heat for too long. Well, they don't hang around in the BBQ when I fire
that up! :-)

Might be a pain to sweep clean too?

Smooth surfaces best imho...

I can tell you that mock York stone with all its uneven surfaces is a
pain to keep clean! Block paving isn't too bad to sweep; I was just
trying to follow the OP's wish to keep away from cement.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 08:53, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

I don't believe my hearths beneath my stoves ever get above 100deg
-does yours?

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 08:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/06/20 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

http://www.larksrise.com/Project%20P...m/DSC_0003.JPG

Quarry tiles lain in fact on a mixture of blockwork and wood with a nice
oak surround.

Tile cement and sand and cement grout.

Lay the tiles first, then build a frame with a gap so you can infill
everything with grout or sand and cement.

Tiling is a matter of tapping the tiles down onto a cement bed nice and
level using a level, with a regular gap, and keeping cement off the
face, then when set and the surround is built, using sand and cement or
grout to fill between everything with lots of wet rinsed sponge to
remove excess grout/cement.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 09:21, Jeff Layman wrote:

I can tell you that mock York stone with all its uneven surfaces is a
pain to keep clean! Block paving isn't too bad to sweep; I was just
trying to follow the OP's wish to keep away from cement.

I don't have any objection to cement. I just don't have much experience
of it. Don't know what you mix it with, how you calculate the quantity,
anything like that.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 09:09, wrote:

To state the obvious: whatever you do needs to be built off the slab,
not over any insulation.

That last is a requirement?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Thanks. That was far from obvious to me.

My slab has timbers set into it to fix battens to, so I see we would be
breaking the rules to have a 50mm hearth on top, timbers having to be at
least 250mm below the hearth. Surprising!
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 08:36, wrote:
On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

The insulation (sh/c)ould have gone under the floor, sandwiched between
two layers of polythene. The one on the ground is the DPC, the one on
top of the insulation is necessary if you use open-cell insulation like
expanded poly. 'Celotex' or extruded poly wouldn't need this. Some
strengthening like weldmesh or heavy guage galvanised fencing like the
stuff used to keep sheep in probably a good idea.

Most woodburners don't heat the floor up that much, assuming they up on
legs, so no need to go mad with a full-on 5 inch concrete construction
hearth that you would need for an open coal fire (see Part J).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

Am thinking I will lay 32mm paving slabs onto the concrete, then finish
with natural stone floor tiles, or quarry tiles around 10mm thick. All
fixed with soft adhesives - PVA, rubbery or gripfill type things - to
avoid the heat breaking joins. That will bring the height comfortably
close to the wooden floor.

Thanks all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 09:09, wrote:

To state the obvious: whatever you do needs to be built off the slab,
not over any insulation.

That last is a requirement?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Thanks. That was far from obvious to me.

My slab has timbers set into it to fix battens to, so I see we would be
breaking the rules to have a 50mm hearth on top, timbers having to be at
least 250mm below the hearth. Surprising!
TW

Read on.......
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 08:36, wrote:
On 17/06/2020 23:19, TimW wrote:
[...]

+1
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09, wrote:

To state the obvious: whatever you do needs to be built off the slab,
not over any insulation.

That last is a requirement?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Thanks. That was far from obvious to me.

My slab has timbers set into it to fix battens to, so I see we would be
breaking the rules to have a 50mm hearth on top, timbers having to be at
least 250mm below the hearth. Surprising!
TW

I shouldn't worry too much. Look at the specs for some of the stoves
you're thinking of using, para 2.23a of the regs will probably apply.

As others have said, what about some insulation in the floor? I can
recommend "secondsandco" for "second quality" Kingspan at good prices
(no connection).

Another comment: had you thought about a floating floor, rather than
nailing boards to battens?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 13:10, wrote:
On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09,
wrote:

To state the obvious: whatever you do needs to be built off the slab,
not over any insulation.

That last is a requirement?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Thanks. That was far from obvious to me.

And is defintely NOT a requirement according to the cited document. As
long as you have a thick incomustible layer on top. what is underneath
is not an issue

My slab has timbers set into it to fix battens to, so I see we would
be breaking the rules to have a 50mm hearth on top, timbers having to
be at least 250mm below the hearth. Surprising!
TW

I shouldn't worry too much. Look at the specs for some of the stoves
you're thinking of using, para 2.23a of the regs will probably apply.

As others have said, what about some insulation in the floor? I can
recommend "secondsandco" for "second quality" Kingspan at good prices
(no connection).

Another comment: had you thought about a floating floor, rather than
nailing boards to battens?

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you have neighbours? Have you told them of your plans. Around here
somebody did a similar thing on an old extension and despite having a
chimney almost up to 2nd floor roof level of the house the smell and smoke
was complained about by the neighbours, it most certainly did not make
anyone with breathing difficulty's life good. In the end I think they
stopped using it and ran a central heating extension in there. However for
you in an out house that could be a little bit of an issue!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09,
wrote:

[...]

Talk about a U turn :-D:-D:-D
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 13:54, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09,
wrote:

[...]

There was no u-turn, just statements of fact. Build it off the slab, but
don't worry about battens if the stove allows 2.23a to apply. I don't
know what you've added to the discussion, but I suggest you re-read the
thread before further intervention.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 13:54, Jimk wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09,
wrote:

[...]

I pointed out you don't know the regulations you threw at me....?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 13:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Do you have neighbours? Have you told them of your plans. Around here
somebody did a similar thing on an old extension and despite having a
chimney almost up to 2nd floor roof level of the house the smell and smoke
was complained about by the neighbours, it most certainly did not make
anyone with breathing difficulty's life good. In the end I think they
stopped using it and ran a central heating extension in there. However for
you in an out house that could be a little bit of an issue!

Brian

My shed is at the bottom of the garden 100ft from the houses, due West.
Smoke will definitely blow towards us.
A good point, thank you!
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 13:10, wrote:
On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09,
wrote:

To state the obvious: whatever you do needs to be built off the slab,
not over any insulation.

That last is a requirement?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

Thanks. That was far from obvious to me.

And is defintely NOT a requirement according to the cited document. As
long as you have a thick incomustible layer on top. what is underneath
is not an issue

It's a SHED. Building regs do not apply provided it is less than a
certain floor area and at least a metre from a boundary, in which case
it should be non-combustible.

My slab has timbers set into it to fix battens to, so I see we would
be breaking the rules to have a 50mm hearth on top, timbers having to
be at least 250mm below the hearth. Surprising!
TW

I shouldn't worry too much. Look at the specs for some of the stoves
you're thinking of using, para 2.23a of the regs will probably apply.

As others have said, what about some insulation in the floor? I can
recommend "secondsandco" for "second quality" Kingspan at good prices
(no connection).

Another comment: had you thought about a floating floor, rather than
nailing boards to battens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 18/06/2020 13:10, wrote:
On 18/06/2020 11:30, TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:09,
wrote:

[...]

It's a "small stone outbuilding"....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 14:46:44 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 18/06/2020 13:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Do you have neighbours? Have you told them of your plans. Around here
somebody did a similar thing on an old extension and despite having a
chimney almost up to 2nd floor roof level of the house the smell and smoke
was complained about by the neighbours, it most certainly did not make
anyone with breathing difficulty's life good. In the end I think they
stopped using it and ran a central heating extension in there. However for
you in an out house that could be a little bit of an issue!

Brian

My shed is at the bottom of the garden 100ft from the houses, due West.
Smoke will definitely blow towards us.
A good point, thank you!

I know at least two neighbours, 100+m away that have wood burners (for
fun / effect rather than heating and probably illegal installations
(by today's std's anyway and given we are in a smokeless zone etc) and
I can generally tell (smell) they are using them the instant I step
out the front door.

Daughter lives by the River Lee and it's even worse there on a still
night in the winter ... reminding me of the old London smogs!

Just because you have access to free combustible material doesn't mean
you have to use it?

A mate had an oil burner in his garage and also a steady supply of old
engine oil to burn. Then they tightened up the regs re pollution and
he went over to cleaner gas fired heaters.

I think he might have been able to 'clean up' the old heater (for a
while anyway) but given he appreciated the improvement in the air
quality when running modern cars with catalytic converters inside his
garage over the older stuff, he didn't need much persuading to go the
cleaner route. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
On 18/06/2020 13:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Do you have neighbours? Have you told them of your plans. Around here
somebody did a similar thing on an old extension and despite having a
chimney almost up to 2nd floor roof level of the house the smell and smoke
was complained about by the neighbours, it most certainly did not make
anyone with breathing difficulty's life good. In the end I think they
stopped using it and ran a central heating extension in there. However for
you in an out house that could be a little bit of an issue!

Brian

My shed is at the bottom of the garden 100ft from the houses, due West.
Smoke will definitely blow towards us.
A good point, thank you!
TW

Smoke? Dry your wood properly and you wont have smoke! Brian has a
€œthing€ about log burners.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/6/20 8:19 am, TimW wrote:
[...]

Try compressed cement sheeting,very smooth but will stain.

Woodburner with back boiler HandyMart UK diy 3 March 25th 06 09:27 PM
Fitting woodburner/multifuel in concrete chimney Housemartin UK diy 13 November 3rd 05 08:39 PM
Woodburner - long! puffernutter UK diy 5 October 27th 05 05:36 AM
Woodburner Installation Stu UK diy 5 July 9th 05 01:59 AM
Fitting WoodBurner into Inglenook Fireplace Rick Dipper UK diy 3 October 30th 03 12:01 PM