Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?Fan=20convector=20=E2=80=9Cwet=E2=80=9D=20radi ators?=

Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to replace
a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller. We could possibly
fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but Im looking at ways of not
losing too much output.

To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?Re=3A_Fan_convector_=E2=80=9Cwet=E2=80=9D_radi ators?=

On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 13:27:20 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Do you really mean 2.6 kW?

Two of these would give you about 1.7 kW at delta-T 50°C

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/s...ctor-radiator/
https://www.radiators.co.uk/product/...-fan-convector

The largest version is 1.5m wide, 3500W.

Could you put the log burner on a concrete hearth incorporating a plinth heater?

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?=20Fan=20convector=20=E2=80=9Cwet=E2=80=9D? =?Q?=20radiators?=

wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 13:27:20 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Do you really mean 2.6 kW?

Yep.
https://www.stelrad.com/radiators/st...00mm-x-1600mm/

Look at the K2 version. 2771W.

Two of these would give you about 1.7 kW at delta-T 50°C

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/s...ctor-radiator/
https://www.radiators.co.uk/product/...-fan-convector

Id much prefer a single unit that was man enough.

The largest version is 1.5m wide, 3500W.

Could you put the log burner on a concrete hearth incorporating a plinth heater?

Hmm, maybe. How powerful are plinth heaters? We have a wet plinth heater in
our kitchen but I dont think its anywhere near 3KW.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to replace
a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller. We could possibly
fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but Im looking at ways of not
losing too much output.

We have one in the kitchen - it came with the house. Fairly compact it
has three blower settings and a thermostatic control. They are noisy,
very noisy and deafening. It gets very little use because of this.

To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

That is quite an output power requirement. Even the quietest fans can be
a little annoying in a quiet environment and they get noisier with age.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 15:13, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to
replace
a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller.Â* We could possibly
fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but Im looking at ways of not
losing too much output.

We have one in the kitchen - it came with the house. Fairly compact it
has three blower settings and a thermostatic control. They are noisy,
very noisy and deafening. It gets very little use because of this.

To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu.Â* Not
costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

That is quite an output power requirement. Even the quietest fans can be
a little annoying in a quiet environment and they get noisier with age.

+1. I had one in the kitchen once, but the output was disappointing and
the noise irritating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 14:15:03 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Could you put the log burner on a concrete hearth incorporating a plinth heater?

Hmm, maybe. How powerful are plinth heaters? We have a wet plinth heater in
our kitchen but I dont think its anywhere near 3KW.

2.6 kW

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/m...plinth-heater/

or is a fan assisted trench heater an option?

https://veranoconvector.co.uk/trench-heater-vkn1.html

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to replace
a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller. We could possibly
fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but Im looking at ways of not
losing too much output.

To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

You've very probably ruled them out (on noise if not looks) but as
appearance is a matter of personal taste I'll mention the Myson iVector.
600 x 800mm and 600 x 1000mm can both do 9000 BTU with 50 degrees
Delta-T, and the larger with 30 degrees.

https://www.myson.co.uk/products/iVector_MKII.htm#tab-2

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to replace
a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller. We could possibly
fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but Im looking at ways of not
losing too much output.

To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

You've very probably ruled them out (on noise if not looks) but as
appearance is a matter of personal taste I'll mention the Myson iVector.
600 x 800mm and 600 x 1000mm can both do 9000 BTU with 50 degrees
Delta-T, and the larger with 30 degrees.

https://www.myson.co.uk/products/iVector_MKII.htm#tab-2

Thanks. It would certainly have the output but the only prices I can find
are in US dollars and theyre pretty eye watering!

Looking at all the options I suspect well just downsize the radiator and
rely more on our old Baxi Brazillia to top up if necessary when the log
burner isnt alight. Undoubtably less efficient than heating with a
condensing boiler but I suspect the payback period for a convector heater
would be very long.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 14:15:03 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Could you put the log burner on a concrete hearth incorporating a plinth heater?

Hmm, maybe. How powerful are plinth heaters? We have a wet plinth heater in
our kitchen but I dont think its anywhere near 3KW.

2.6 kW

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/m...plinth-heater/

or is a fan assisted trench heater an option?

https://veranoconvector.co.uk/trench-heater-vkn1.html

Owain

The latter could be done. Need to check out the cost though! ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
Due to possible installation of another log burner, we may have to replace
a 600 x 1600 K2 type radiator with something smaller. We could possibly
fit a 600x1000mm radiator in its place but Im looking at ways of not
losing too much output.

To this end Ive been trying to search for fan assisted radiators that
dont look awful and have an output in the order of 9000 btu. Not costing
and arm and a leg would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

You've very probably ruled them out (on noise if not looks) but as
appearance is a matter of personal taste I'll mention the Myson iVector.
600 x 800mm and 600 x 1000mm can both do 9000 BTU with 50 degrees
Delta-T, and the larger with 30 degrees.

https://www.myson.co.uk/products/iVector_MKII.htm#tab-2

Now that Ive found them, Im leaning towards a triple panel radiator.
Output wont match in the size I want but on cost/simplicity basis it seems
like the best way forward.

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/s...tor-radiators/

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

The Smith's space saver kickspace versions appear quieter on paper and
in practice.
I wouldnt want in a living room though
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 16:43, Tim+ wrote:
snip

https://www.myson.co.uk/products/iVector_MKII.htm#tab-2

Thanks. It would certainly have the output but the only prices I can find
are in US dollars and theyre pretty eye watering!

c.£700 (incl VAT) in London last year

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 16:48:01 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

.... and add a fan to boost output. It's finned which suits fans. In case that fool is still lurking round here, no it's not the optimised layout for fans but it does still increase output.

There's a simple formula for a quiet fan: use a large fan at low speed. It's not foolproof but it usually gets you quiet.

Completely silent fans require more care & less speed, but very quiet should be fine unless you're doing significant live AV recording.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Adding a fan boosts output?? Golly.

It's finned which suits fans. In case that fool is still lurking round
here, no it's not the optimised layout for fans but it does still increase output.

There's a simple formula for a quiet fan: use a large fan at low speed.
It's not foolproof but it usually gets you quiet.

Completely silent fans require more care & less speed, but very quiet
should be fine unless you're doing significant live AV recording.

If youre really trying to be helpful how about posting a link to fans that
can be retro-fitted to existing radiators. Is such a ready-made product
exists (and isnt ludicrously expensive) I would be interested.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fan convector ?B?4oCcd2V04oCdIHJhZGlhdG9ycw==?=

Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

https://www.turningtogreen.com/post/radiator-boosters

The article doesn't state the noise level. The one
that draws 18W when operating, you know you'll be able
to hear that one for sure.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I didnt know such products already existed. Knowing what theyre
called is half the battle when it comes to searching for such things.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2020 21:51, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:

snip

https://www.turningtogreen.com/post/radiator-boosters

The article doesn't state the noise level. The one
that draws 18W when operating, you know you'll be able
to hear that one for sure.

Thanks. I didnt know such products already existed. Knowing what theyre
called is half the battle when it comes to searching for such things.

FWLIW I looked at some of those (after looking at the Myson etc) but was
underwhelmed by their looks (and my aesthetic standards are very much
towards the pig sty end of the spectrum) and lack of inf. about noise,
and worried about the radiator acting as a sounding board. So my current
plan for when our combi finally arrives is a row of 12v, 100mm computer
case fans in a shallow box - a bit like https://speedcomfort.co.uk/shop
but attached to the wall under the radiator, not touching it, and the
same length as the radiator. The Stelrad triple is deep enough to take
the same or similar. I've not decided finally between under-running the
fans or using a fan controller to manage the noise.

I'm confident mine will look like **** if examined but hope when the box
is painted the same as the wall it'll escape attention.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 June 2020 07:53:32 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
plan for when our combi finally arrives is a row of 12v, 100mm computer
case fans in a shallow box

You could use smaller fans and mount them in a section of plastic electrical trunking.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 June 2020 09:42:26 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
You could use smaller fans and mount them in a section of plastic
electrical trunking.

That'd mean /buying/ fans rather than using the 100mm case fans from the
loft!

Yes, it was a silly suggestion :-)

And smaller means less air/more noise. I'd dithered about 120mm (it's a
type 22 radiator well off from the wall) even if it means buying them.

Radical thought - what about a car radiator and fan from a scrappy?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 17/06/2020 13:27, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Any PC fan that will run on 5v will do, as I thought I said upthread.
Almost any other fan that will run near silent will do.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 June 2020 10:30:07 UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 20 June 2020 09:42:26 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

You could use smaller fans and mount them in a section of plastic
electrical trunking.

That'd mean /buying/ fans rather than using the 100mm case fans from the
loft!

Yes, it was a silly suggestion :-)

And smaller means less air/more noise. I'd dithered about 120mm (it's a
type 22 radiator well off from the wall) even if it means buying them.

Radical thought - what about a car radiator and fan from a scrappy?

Owain

excessively low resistance - what would you run it on, 1v?

NT