Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos flue with black discolouration

Hi,

When I bought my house (built in 84) a few years ago the survey flagged up
that the flue was potentially made of asbestos. I didnt really worry about
this as I had no plans to disturb it. However I have just noticed quite abit
of black discoloration and im worried about it being a risk to health. Does
this look like water damage, heat damage, mould or something else? Does this
mean it is breaking down and potentially dangerous? Any advice greatly
appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/n7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 04:44, Ukhomeowner wrote:
Hi,

When I bought my house (built in 84) a few years ago the survey flagged up
that the flue was potentially made of asbestos. I didnt really worry about
this as I had no plans to disturb it. However I have just noticed quite
abit
of black discoloration and im worried about it being a risk to health. Does
this look like water damage, heat damage, mould or something else? Does
this
mean it is breaking down and potentially dangerous? Any advice greatly
appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/n7

Difficult to say from the picture. But built in '84 means it will be
asbestos cement with white asbestos only, therefore comparatively small
risk unless you pulverise it to dust, and then breath it in deliberately.

The council of perfection would be to replace it as it will save trouble
on sale. If you can DIY it that will save a significant amount of money,
but read up your local council web site for rules on asbestos waste
disposal.

How hot does it run in the exposed regions? You can reduce the risk of
fibre shedding by painting it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 June 2020 04:44:09 UTC+1, Ukhomeowner wrote:
Hi,

When I bought my house (built in 84) a few years ago the survey flagged up
that the flue was potentially made of asbestos. I didnt really worry about
this as I had no plans to disturb it. However I have just noticed quite abit
of black discoloration and im worried about it being a risk to health. Does
this look like water damage, heat damage, mould or something else? Does this
mean it is breaking down and potentially dangerous? Any advice greatly
appreciated.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/n7

Looks like water stains. You can tell if it's breaking up and thereby becoming a hazard by poking it. If it's still solid, no problem. If it powders, that's releasing fibres & something should be done.

NT