Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air hose

I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure for
10mm^2 hose.

Any pointers? Google seems to have failed me!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure for
10mm^2 hose.

The Engineering Toolbox is good for that sort of thing

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2020 19:06:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure
for 10mm^2 hose.

The Engineering Toolbox is good for that sort of thing

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

Thanks.

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure
for 10mm^2 hose.

The Engineering Toolbox is good for that sort of thing

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

Thanks.

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Flowrate will be down to around 40%. How accurately do you need to know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure
for 10mm^2 hose.

The Engineering Toolbox is good for that sort of thing

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/p...ed-air-pipes-d
_852.html

Thanks.

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Flowrate will be down to around 40%. How accurately do you need to know?

Laminar flow is proportional to the fourth power of the radius. I
think turbulent flow falls even faster in smaller pipes, but I am not
sure. From above, flow in a 10mm tube is 20% of flow in a 15mm one.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Could you extend the middle scale on the nomogram? looks like it halves
per unit distance, does that make it ln(2)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

I'm struggling to find any data on pressure drop vs flow & pressure
for 10mm^2 hose.

The Engineering Toolbox is good for that sort of thing

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

Thanks.

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Flowrate will be down to around 40%. How accurately do you need to know?

?? I'm looking for pressure drop over a length.

Given the few sizes of air hose, 6, 8 and 10mm^2 (I have come across
14mm^2) I am surprised there aren't simple tables around showing drop
with air flow wrt to pressure and hose size.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2020 08:15:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Could you extend the middle scale on the nomogram? looks like it halves
per unit distance, does that make it ln(2)?

I could but surprised there aren't simple tables around for such a
common issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Could you extend the middle scale on the nomogram? looks like it
halves per unit distance, does that make it ln(2)?

I could but surprised there aren't simple tables around for such a
common issue.

The page starts of with a formula including diameter.

It then has 2 calculators.

The metric one will give you answers for 1m^3/min, 1m length, 10mm pipe,
7kg/cm^2.

Perhaps you should try shorter pipes or higher pressures.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

The page starts of with a formula including diameter.
It then has 2 calculators.

The metric one will give you answers for 1m^3/min, 1m length, 10mm pipe,
7kg/cm^2.

Once fred mentioned it, I tried a few values and it seems quite
determined not to like the inputs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Vir Campestris wrote:

The page starts of with a formula including diameter.
It then has 2 calculators.
The metric one will give you answers for 1m^3/min, 1m length, 10mm
pipe, 7kg/cm^2.

Once fred mentioned it, I tried a few values and it seems quite
determined not to like the inputs

I have about 50m of braided plastic 10mm? hose attached to my workshop
compressor. (means I can reach a flat tyre anywhere in the yard) Clearly
there are losses on full flow but it still serves to blow dust out of
radiator fins....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-drop-compressed-air-pipes-d_852.html

I found that, but doesn't go below 15mm internal diameter.

Could you extend the middle scale on the nomogram? looks like it
halves per unit distance, does that make it ln(2)?

I could but surprised there aren't simple tables around for such a
common issue.

The page starts of with a formula including diameter.

It then has 2 calculators.

The metric one will give you answers for 1m^3/min, 1m length, 10mm pipe,
7kg/cm^2.

Perhaps you should try shorter pipes or higher pressures.

Andy

I have now used it and the numbers seem low.

For instance, an impact wrench might take 8 CFM, (all measurements from
the web seem to be in imperial) 1CFM = 30ltr/min so such a wrench would
take 0.24m^3.

Over a 10mm hose over 10m @ 5bar that equates to a minimal pressure drop
of 0.2 bar, which seems low to me.

I have rounded numbers for convenience.