Markie

Default Siting and selection of combi boilers

Hi All,

I am about to embark on the DIY equivalent of my first bungee jump!

I have a normal 3-bed terraced house in the london area and have the
normal
"back boiler", hot water cylinder, loft sited water tank, and loft
sited c/h tank. I want to replace all this with a combi boiler.

My question has three parts:
1. I have 7 radiators but may want to add more in the future (in case
we extend so possibly 4 more). I have one bathroom and 1 kitchen. What
size boiler would be recommended?

2. I would like to site the boiler either in the loft or the bathroom.
The old airing cupboard which currently houses the hot water cylinder,
i will be making part of the bathroom. So I guess putting the boiler
into the bathroom would make sense. Is this legal? I know combis use a
sealed flue system (i have a basic understanding) but i would really
appreciate some advice on this

3. If I was to run the gas piping (22mm copper?) from downstairs to
upstairs can it be sunk into the wall? Where is the places to avoid
running gas piping?

I have a mech/elec background and know a little about water and gas
pipework (i.e. to test for leaks with soapy water) but thats about it.
I would really like to do as much of the work myself as its cheaper
and I will be taking my time to do a good job: I have to live here

Thanks in advance for you help

Markie
Paper2002AD

There are plenty of internet resources which will help you to size your rads.
I installed an entire system, including combi boiler, in a two bed terraced
house - BUT - I had a Corgi gas fitter to make the final gas connections and to
test the system. Can't be too careful, and anyway, I think it's the law!
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:10:27 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

On 12 Aug 2004 06:51:37 GMT, (Paper2002AD) wrote:

There are plenty of internet resources which will help you to size your rads.
I installed an entire system, including combi boiler, in a two bed terraced
house - BUT - I had a Corgi gas fitter to make the final gas connections and to
test the system. Can't be too careful, and anyway, I think it's the law!

Without wishing to kick off a whole lengthy debate because it has been
done to death here in the past, the law requires that anybody doing
gas fitting is "competent" but doesn't define it. It does require
anybody doing so professionally to be a CORGI member.

There is a good FAQ on this referenced by Ed Sirett's signature.

The challenges are not quite on the level faced by Werner von Braun
but there are specific design and test rules and the work must of
course be to high standard. e.g. this is not something for somebody
who has not done plumbing with soldered fittings and without leaks.

The issues around placement of the boiler in the bathroom are essentially
the same as 'may I install a washing machine in the bathroom'? I.e a fixed
metal cased electrical appliance. In a cupboard should be OK.

Take account fo the flueing requirements and there costs this can be
siginificant.

Download the instructions and read them carefully before finalizing the
design and buying the kit.

Unless you are confident to make soldered copper joints leave the gas to
a pro.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk