DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fridge/freezer replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6466-fridge-freezer-replacement.html)

P and H Macguire February 26th 04 10:59 AM

Fridge/freezer replacement

Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're replacing
it.

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
machines?

Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the up-market
makes are worth the difference?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

---

Christian McArdle February 26th 04 11:05 AM

Fridge/freezer replacement

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against
frost-free machines?

Buy one with 2 compressors, or at least a single compressor twin thermostat
model. Frost free is a real convenience, but ask to hear the machine in
operation. Some (but not all) designs are horrendously noisy.

Christian.

Philip Wagstaff February 26th 04 11:11 AM

Fridge/freezer replacement

We've gone for frost-free this time, defrosting was just too much hassle.
We'd had an AEG before and frankly it was not as good as we had expected. My
wife had a clear idea on what she did and did not want from her new f/f and
we looked at em all, over and over! Our initial pref was to go for a Bosch
or Siemens (not exactly top of the market but all we could afford) and they
did not impress. The plastic drawers etc are no better quality, far too thin
and brittle, we do not want wire, the B and S bottle rack was plastic, short
and only held two bottles.
So power consumption etc all being equal do not bother with them.
By the way, trawl the web, we saved nearly £100 buying at the Co-op online
of all places!

Andy Hall February 26th 04 11:42 AM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:59:04 -0000, "P and H Macguire"
wrote:

Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're replacing
it.

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
machines?

Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the up-market
makes are worth the difference?

I have a Liebherr frost free one. Better than Bosch and Siemens and
definitely worth the extra.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

VivienB February 26th 04 11:48 AM

wrote:

Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're replacing
it.

I have recently replaced an under-worktop fridge. Because it had to
fit a fixed space, it had to be similar outside dimensions to the old
one. However, because energy efficiency was improved by increasing the
insulation, I can get less in it. It may be useful to be aware of
this.

Regards, VivienB

sPoNiX February 26th 04 12:50 PM

wrote:

Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're replacing
it.

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
machines?

Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the up-market
makes are worth the difference?

They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some money.

sPoNiX

Neil Jones February 26th 04 12:54 PM

wrote:

Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and

also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're

replacing
it.

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against

frost-free
machines?

Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the

up-market
makes are worth the difference?

They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some money.

sPoNiX

The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Neil

JhnWil875 February 26th 04 01:10 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

Subject: Fridge/freezer replacement
From: "P and H Macguire"
Date: 26/02/04 10:59 GMT Standard Time

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
machines?

Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the up-market
makes are worth the difference?

The only that I know who have Frost free Fridge Freezers are full of praises
for them.

I bought a Beko Frost Free Fridge Freezer last year, I cant remember the model
number but it is about 11.3 Cu Ft total capacity, 96 litre frozen capacity, the
same one they have in my local currys for about £299 and is larger than most
Fridge Freezers are with grade B energy consumption, I checked this against a
friends Frost free Fridge Freezer and the Beko uses about half the electricity
of what his ten year old Frost Free Zanussi does.

My choice was inevitably a compromise between cost, size and frost free
function.

All I can say is that I am very happy with it, no problems, no frost, not any
noisier than any other Fridge Freezer that I have heard, you might want to go
to your local currys and have a look at it, if you like what you see you can
make a note of the model number and do a search for it.

My only slight criticisim of it is that when I set the thermostat so that the
hottest temp in the Freezer is -18C the hottest temp in the Fridge compartment
is 7C rather than 5C, but as yet I have not suffered or died from food
poisoning so all in all I think that I got a good deal.

From my research at the time it seemed that I would have to spend over £500, I
think it was nearer £1000 to get exactly what I wanted which was a larger one
with grade A energy, twin compressors and twin thermostats.

John.

Neil Jones February 26th 04 02:50 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

"Rob S" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:54:09 -0000, "Neil Jones"

wrote:

- They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some

money.
-
- sPoNiX
-
-The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Should have got a Mandela one.

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

Que?

Christian McArdle February 26th 04 03:04 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Should have got a Mandela one.

Que?

Beko and Mandela were in the resistance against apartheid. Beko's doors fell
off at an early stage whilst being subject to rather unhinged behaviour
whilst in police custody.

Christian.

DawnK February 26th 04 03:10 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against
frost-free machines?

Buy one with 2 compressors, or at least a single compressor twin

thermostat
model. Frost free is a real convenience, but ask to hear the machine in
operation. Some (but not all) designs are horrendously noisy.

Christian.

My fridge is a frost-free Amana (freezer on top) and I hardly ever notice it
running. The only noise I hear is occasionally from the ice-maker.
Although, my freezer is too crammed with stuff for the icemaker to function
properly at the moment. The 12 yo Whirlpool it replaced, made enough noise
that you could hear it ALL over the house! LOL! So, I think anything is
quieter than the fridge that was wearing out!

Dawn

Neil Jones February 26th 04 03:52 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Should have got a Mandela one.

Que?

Beko and Mandela were in the resistance against apartheid. Beko's

doors fell
off at an early stage whilst being subject to rather unhinged

behaviour
whilst in police custody.

Christian.

Thanks - it's now obvious to all that I dropped history at the end of
the third form.

Regards

Neil

Andy Hall February 26th 04 04:24 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:50:16 -0000, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

- They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some

money.
-
- sPoNiX
-
-The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Should have got a Mandela one.

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

Que?

As in Steve Biko.

Neil Jones February 26th 04 04:29 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:50:16 -0000, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

- They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some

money.
-
- sPoNiX
-
-The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Should have got a Mandela one.

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

Que?

As in Steve Biko.

I'm sorry to say that I had never heard of him until today :-(

Neil

TheScullster February 26th 04 05:36 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

My approach to purchase of these goods is as follows:

Do the research (as you obviously are).
Select the model based on cost, size and whatever compromises are necessary.
Check the web prices.
Then contact all your local retailers offering them the business one after
the other to get the price right down!

They are all box shifters at the end of the day.
You can easily save £100+ (worth a few phone calls of anybody's time) on
marked price of major electrical goods but still keep the business in your
region - doing a "little" for your very local economy.

Phil

Peter Taylor February 26th 04 06:31 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

JhnWil875 wrote

you might want to go
to your local currys and have a look at it, if you like what you see you can
make a note of the model number and do a search for it.

How are we going to try-before-we-buy when everybody buys everything on line and
Curry's et al have disappeared?

Peter

Andy Wade February 26th 04 06:47 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I have a Liebherr frost free one.

How does "frost free" work then?

--
Andy

T i m February 26th 04 06:55 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:31:43 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

JhnWil875 wrote

you might want to go
to your local currys and have a look at it, if you like what you see you can
make a note of the model number and do a search for it.

How are we going to try-before-we-buy when everybody buys everything on line and
Curry's et al have disappeared?

[T] Take your perishables round to someone's house who has the model
you like?

Joking aside. Years ago my Dad bought a fridge from the Electric
Showroom and soon after it went wrong. After several attempts to fix
it they left Mum and Dad without a fridge for nearly a week. Dad took
all their perishables into the Electricity office and stuck them into
one of the fridges in the showroom! He got a new replacement fridge
the same day ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Mathew J. Newton February 26th 04 07:32 PM

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I have a Liebherr frost free one.

How does "frost free" work then?

--
Andy

I believe the freezer coils are outside of the food compartment, and thus a
fan is used to blow air over the cold coils and into the freezer. The
fan/pump is halted periodically at which point a heater is used to evaporate
any frozen water vapour from the coils.

Mathew

Adrian February 26th 04 07:42 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

P and H Macguire ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the
up-market makes are worth the difference?

I can't say about Siemens, but when we bought a Bosch fridge/freezer a few
years back, there was only a small difference in price between it and the
equivalent Hotpoint.

The difference in perceived quality was immense.

Neither our or my in-law's Bosch fridge-freezers have given a moment's
trouble, nor have either of the Bosch washing machines - all are between 5
and 10 years old now.

Adrian February 26th 04 07:43 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

Rob S ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

-The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.

Should have got a Mandela one.

nice....

Adrian February 26th 04 07:44 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

Neil Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Beko and Mandela were in the resistance against apartheid. Beko's
doors fell off at an early stage whilst being subject to rather unhinged
behaviour whilst in police custody.

Thanks - it's now obvious to all that I

have been living in a cave devoid of all access to current affairs for the
last three decades.

Adrian February 26th 04 07:44 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

Neil Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

As in Steve Biko.

I'm sorry to say that I had never heard of him until today :-(

You ever heard of Peter Gabriel?

Nick Finnigan February 26th 04 08:31 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Neil Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

As in Steve Biko.

I'm sorry to say that I had never heard of him until today :-(

You ever heard of Peter Gabriel?

as in 'I see the Mona Lisa, she gives me the wink then...'

Andy Hall February 26th 04 08:39 PM

wrote:

[...]

I like it. I have to confess that I once delivered a sack of
rubbish that had not been collected after three requests to the
reception of my local authority's office. I then asked to see the
person in charge of refuse collection. We had a friendly discussion
and agreed to put it in the skip in the car park at the back of the
office. I never had any more problems.

Andy Hall February 26th 04 08:51 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:47:42 -0000, "Andy Wade"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I have a Liebherr frost free one.

How does "frost free" work then?

On this one, there is a fan in the freezer section which circulates
air through the entire section (having the side benefit of evening the
temperature). The evaporator is in the air path at the top back.
It's smaller than a standard freezer one because of the air
circulation. Periodically ( a microprocessor controls it), the
refrigeration is stopped and a heater warms the evaporator to melt
deposited ice. It's very effective.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

February 26th 04 09:14 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

I too prefer frost-free. Unfortunately one of the side effects is that your
ice cubes disappear also.

Barbara

Andy Hall February 26th 04 09:31 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:14:08 -0000,
wrote:

I too prefer frost-free. Unfortunately one of the side effects is that your
ice cubes disappear also.

Barbara

Really?

Doesn't on mine....

Adrian February 26th 04 09:41 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

Nick Finnigan ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

As in Steve Biko.

I'm sorry to say that I had never heard of him until today :-(

You ever heard of Peter Gabriel?

as in 'I see the Mona Lisa, she gives me the wink then...'

Yup, that Peter Gabriel.

Isn't it amazing how these threads can go round in circles?

Peter Aitken February 26th 04 09:55 PM

"P and H Macguire" wrote in message
Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're

replacing
it.

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
machines?

Frost-free is more convenient but not as good for keeping food for more than
a couple of months. This is because the frost-removal cycle warms up the
freezer. The food does not thaw but the regular warming and cooling affects
quality.

--
Peter Aitken

Michael Chare February 26th 04 10:06 PM

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
JhnWil875 wrote

you might want to go
to your local currys and have a look at it, if you like what you see you can
make a note of the model number and do a search for it.

How are we going to try-before-we-buy when everybody buys everything on line

and
Curry's et al have disappeared?

I've bought a couple of products in the past year from Curry's because they were
the cheapest supplier I could find (including Internet sites). They also operate
quite a good refund policy (IMHO)

Michael Chare

Andy Hall February 26th 04 10:26 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:55:52 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

"P and H Macguire" wrote in message
Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I
suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're

replacing
it.

My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free
machines?

Frost-free is more convenient but not as good for keeping food for more than
a couple of months. This is because the frost-removal cycle warms up the
freezer. The food does not thaw but the regular warming and cooling affects
quality.

That depends on the design of the appliance and how the frost removal
is controlled.

I measured the temperature in mine, and it increases by less than a
degree. Since it is operated at about -20 this is not significant.

Notty Pine February 26th 04 11:10 PM

wrote:

[...]

Did you check it with a Max/Minimum thermometer over 24 hours? If you
did, you would get surprising results, but if you actually measure the
temperature of the food, instead of the air surrounding it, then it
would probably not be as bad as it seems.

Andy Hall February 26th 04 11:37 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:10:08 -0000, "Notty Pine"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

That depends on the design of the appliance and how the frost

removal
is controlled.

I measured the temperature in mine, and it increases by less than a
degree. Since it is operated at about -20 this is not

significant.

Did you check it with a Max/Minimum thermometer over 24 hours? If you
did, you would get surprising results, but if you actually measure the
temperature of the food, instead of the air surrounding it, then it
would probably not be as bad as it seems.

I did both. The 1 degree was in air temperature in the centre of the
cabinet with drawers reasonably full but not crammed

Notty Pine February 26th 04 11:49 PM

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I measured the temperature in mine, and it increases by less than

degree. Since it is operated at about -20 this is not

significant.

Did you check it with a Max/Minimum thermometer over 24 hours? If

you
did, you would get surprising results, but if you actually measure

the
temperature of the food, instead of the air surrounding it, then it
would probably not be as bad as it seems.

I did both. The 1 degree was in air temperature in the centre of

the
cabinet with drawers reasonably full but not crammed

Well something is seriously wrong with your testing, or your
equipment, because most thermostats have about a 5 degree C difference
between on and off, making a less than 1 degree difference impossible
to achieve.

T i m February 26th 04 11:58 PM

Fridge/freezer replacement

On 26 Feb 2004 21:41:34 GMT, Adrian
wrote:

Nick Finnigan ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

As in Steve Biko.

I'm sorry to say that I had never heard of him until today :-(

You ever heard of Peter Gabriel?

as in 'I see the Mona Lisa, she gives me the wink then...'

Yup, that Peter Gabriel.

Isn't it amazing how these threads can go round in circles?

Can be a good thing .. recycling .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Peter Aitken February 27th 04 12:04 AM

wrote:

[...]

Then you measured the temperature wrong. Please explain how going from -20
to -19 can remove frost. And, IIRC, freezers are designed to operate at
about 0 degrees, not -20 ( I assume you mean f).

--
Peter Aitken

Andrew Gabriel February 27th 04 12:25 AM

Fridge/freezer replacement

In article ,
writes:
I too prefer frost-free. Unfortunately one of the side effects is that your
ice cubes disappear also.

A freeze dried ice cube -- now there's a concept.
I'll keep it handy with the chocolate teapot and the rocking horse **** ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Maverick February 27th 04 02:52 AM

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I have a Liebherr frost free one.

How does "frost free" work then?

--
Andy

I believe the freezer coils are outside of the food compartment, and

thus
fan is used to blow air over the cold coils and into the freezer. The
fan/pump is halted periodically at which point a heater is used to

evaporate
any frozen water vapour from the coils.

Mathew

delurking a bit...

Is that why they sometimes seem to be somewhat small? Kind of like
partially melted? Well SOB! Now I can sleep tonight! I thought I was
losing my mind for a while.

I thought the kids weren't making sure it was closed properly.

Thanks for the tip. I'll stop yelling at the family now.

Bret