Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NHS Wales warns against DIY at home

Calls for not taking 'unnecessary risks' with house work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/51966001

There is concern that injuries will increase as the public spend long periods in their homes

There are calls on people not to take "unnecessary risks" with work around the home over the coming months.

Doctors are concerned that the number of injuries will increase as the public spends long periods in their homes because of a coronavirus crisis.

"The temptation over the next few weeks will be to do the things around the house that you've long avoided, like putting up shelves or pictures.

"Don't take unnecessary risks, because we won't have the capacity to handle you."

Twitter post:

"As a trauma surgeon, don't take unnecessary risks right now - no DIY when self-isolating, no curtain washing. Because there will be no way to treat you."

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 11:23, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like there will be a baby boom in time for Christmas, then :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 11:23, wrote:
[...]

Stop eating food you might choke
Don't climb stairs you might fall.
Dont't walk, you might trip and break a bone.
Stop breathing. In 100% cases breathing causes eventual death. (So does
not breathing, but hey)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 11:50, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/03/2020 11:23, wrote:
[...]

They need to a bigger and stiffer message against social contact. And
to spell out what "social contact" includes - in pictures.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 March 2020 11:23:35 UTC, wrote:
Calls for not taking 'unnecessary risks' with house work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/51966001

There is concern that injuries will increase as the public spend long periods in their homes

There are calls on people not to take "unnecessary risks" with work around the home over the coming months.

Doctors are concerned that the number of injuries will increase as the public spends long periods in their homes because of a coronavirus crisis.

"The temptation over the next few weeks will be to do the things around the house that you've long avoided, like putting up shelves or pictures.

"Don't take unnecessary risks, because we won't have the capacity to handle you."

Twitter post:

"As a trauma surgeon, don't take unnecessary risks right now - no DIY when self-isolating, no curtain washing. Because there will be no way to treat you."

That's exactly what I'm doing.

I have a big pile of logs to cut up and stack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, are they particularly incompetent in Wales?
The lower numbers of industrial injuries and vehicle related injuries will
more than compensate for any people nailing their hand to the skirting or
breaking their led stepping back off a ladder.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 11:23, wrote:
Calls for not taking 'unnecessary risks' with house work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/51966001

There is concern that injuries will increase as the public spend long periods in their homes

There are calls on people not to take "unnecessary risks" with work around the home over the coming months.

Doctors are concerned that the number of injuries will increase as the public spends long periods in their homes because of a coronavirus crisis.

"The temptation over the next few weeks will be to do the things around the house that you've long avoided, like putting up shelves or pictures.

How lacking in ambition!

Just one of my tasks is to get the wall cupboards down in the kitchen,
pull down the rest of the ceiling, re-wire the lights, re-board the
ceiling, paper the walls, get the cupboards back up, replace the
flooring, replace the worktop, connect the new oven and hob (changing
over from gas to electric).

In case of emergency, I will however have a trained nurse on hand -
trained both as a general nurse and a psychiatric one ... just in case
the going gets too difficult! She can no longer work due to health
problems, so will be permanently available.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 March 2020 15:34:18 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 20/03/2020 11:23, wrote:
[...]

HAH. Close supervision eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 March 2020 15:34:18 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
"The temptation over the next few weeks will be to do the things around the house that you've long avoided, like putting up shelves or pictures.

How lacking in ambition!

It is rather. I don't know if washing curtains has any cultural significance in Wales.

I do, actually, need to wash the blinds in the next few weeks to get the winter mould off them.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Well, are they particularly incompetent in Wales?

Corse they are, they cant even manage to come up
with a viable language that can be written down.

The lower numbers of industrial injuries and vehicle related injuries will
more than compensate for any people nailing their hand to the skirting or
breaking their led stepping back off a ladder.

That’s very arguable given that few normally do much diy

A bigger problem is more likely to be how you get
what you need to do the diy when quarantined at
home even with stuff as basic as picture hooks let
along the new picture. And where you get the
detergent to wash the curtains with,

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 15:34, Steve Walker wrote:
On 20/03/2020 11:23, wrote:
[...]

But if you develop 'man flu' she will call you a lying wimp :-)

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 03:48:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Well, are they particularly incompetent in Wales?

Corse they are

Of course NOBODY asked YOU anything, senile attention whore from Australia!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coronavirus: Eye injuries increase 'due to more DIY' [was: NHSWales warns against DIY at home]

On Friday, 20 March 2020 11:23:35 UTC, I wrote:
Calls for not taking 'unnecessary risks' with house work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/51966001
There is concern that injuries will increase as the public spend long periods in their homes

And it's happened.

Coronavirus: Eye injuries increase 'due to more DIY'

Oxford Eye Hospital said it had seen an increase in injuries and people who needed operations.

The hospital saw six "traumatised eyes" in a week, but would usually see one no more than every two to three weeks.

Consultant Stella Hornby said she thought the rise was due to people doing DIY jobs without eye protection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52260970

Good luck to anyone who wants to try buying eye protection at the moment, especially visors.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are private building control firms more efficient ?.

They can be cheaper than local BC. I do not know if this counts as efficient but when we had the garage base excavated the private BC we hired was happy to have the builder simply email photos of the excavations with approval back the following day.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2020 12:54, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Are private building control firms more efficient ?.

They can be cheaper than local BC. I do not know if this counts as efficient but when we had the garage base excavated the private BC we hired was happy to have the builder simply email photos of the excavations with approval back the following day.

Richard

so did we....

except in Scotland where they don't have the privatised system ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

my trench was signed-off by building inspector this morning.

amazed they have time to do that ....

Private building control, they only need 1 day notice to attend, but I
gave them longer. Concrete was poured on lockdown day.

Tricky Dicky wrote:

They can be cheaper than local BC

Not cheaper in this case, but I found them more approachable/flexible
plus the council's planning dept had already showed what a mixture of
helpful vs stubborn behaviour they were capable of (depending who I saw).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not cheaper in this case, but I found them more approachable/flexible
plus the council's planning dept had already showed what a mixture of
helpful vs stubborn behaviour they were capable of (depending who I saw).

That was the case for us, their fees were dearer than the LBC but the saving of several hundred pounds came with the actual garage. The garage we ordered was a standard design which was 2m longer and with some difference in window positions and beyond the BC free allowance of 30sq mts. The local BC wanted the engineering drawings for garage with all stress calculations which the garage manufacturers were willing to supply at a price. The private inspector was happy to work from the standard design drawings which were supplied free and extrapolate them to take into account the differences. If I recall correctly this saved me £200+.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 April 2020 18:43:50 UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 20 March 2020 11:23:35 UTC, I wrote:
Calls for not taking 'unnecessary risks' with house work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/51966001
There is concern that injuries will increase as the public spend long periods in their homes

And it's happened.

Coronavirus: Eye injuries increase 'due to more DIY'

Oxford Eye Hospital said it had seen an increase in injuries and people who needed operations.

The hospital saw six "traumatised eyes" in a week, but would usually see one no more than every two to three weeks.

Consultant Stella Hornby said she thought the rise was due to people doing DIY jobs without eye protection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52260970

Good luck to anyone who wants to try buying eye protection at the moment, especially visors.

Owain

plastic from a water/fizz bottle beats nothing. Any half serious diyer will already have eye PPE.

NT