Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap sloping bathroom floor ?

There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath!
I'm thinking of pulling up the floorboards,
putting down 18mm OSB3 sloped to a point
with some kind of drain.
Then covering it with Lino or similar.
Much cheaper and quicker than a wetroom kit like
https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms...kit/cat8780001
Advice please
george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The presence of mould may not be due to a leak although being under the bath makes that a favourite. I would expect to see water marks as well as mould, you did not mention any being present. Mould could be present simply through lack of ventilation and you have a cold spot allowing vapour to condense.

If it is a leak from the bath then the the most common cause is the seal between the bath and walls followed by loose piping either waste or to the taps. I would check out all of these before more drastic work. The bottom line is if a water leak is the reason for the mould you need to find it and sort before doing anything else, covering it up will not make the problem go away.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 5:30:43 PM UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
The presence of mould may not be due to a leak although being under the bath makes that a favourite. I would expect to see water marks as well as mould, you did not mention any being present. Mould could be present simply through lack of ventilation and you have a cold spot allowing vapour to condense.

If it is a leak from the bath then the the most common cause is the seal between the bath and walls followed by loose piping either waste or to the taps. I would check out all of these before more drastic work. The bottom line is if a water leak is the reason for the mould you need to find it and sort before doing anything else, covering it up will not make the problem go away.

Richard

Leak was from a dripping pipe
as well as from people splashing and getting out of the bath which cant be stopped, hence I want a sloping floor

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Erm, well, surely underneath your lino will be damp and a breeding ground
for mould. Main thing is to decide where the damp is getting in, also decide
if it can be vented, Bathroom steam goes everywhere of course so its not
uncommon to find what you describe in areas not often inspected.
More ventilation of the room can do a lot to help.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"George Miles" wrote in message
There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath!
I'm thinking of pulling up the floorboards,
putting down 18mm OSB3 sloped to a point
with some kind of drain.
Then covering it with Lino or similar.
Much cheaper and quicker than a wetroom kit like
https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms...kit/cat8780001
Advice please
george

Posted to uk.d-i-y

why would it be damp under the lino?
I thought its waterproof.

If so then would floorbaords be better than OSB under the Lino
as any moisture could escape down the gaps between boards
(and cause mould where we can see it on the ceiling)

[g]

On Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 9:14:34 AM UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 March 2020 09:51:31 UTC, George Miles wrote:
"George Miles" wrote in message

There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath!
I'm thinking of pulling up the floorboards,
putting down 18mm OSB3 sloped to a point
with some kind of drain.
Then covering it with Lino or similar.
Much cheaper and quicker than a wetroom kit like
https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms...kit/cat8780001
Advice please
george

why would it be damp under the lino?
I thought its waterproof.

because
There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath!

Just in case you don't know, black mould is bad news for health and must all be removed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The mould comes from a leaky tap and bath spillages.
When the floor is sloping and waterproof I will replace the plasterboard.

[g]

On Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 11:52:40 AM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 15 March 2020 09:51:31 UTC, George Miles wrote:
"George Miles" wrote in message

There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath!
I'm thinking of pulling up the floorboards,
putting down 18mm OSB3 sloped to a point
with some kind of drain.
Then covering it with Lino or similar.
Much cheaper and quicker than a wetroom kit like
https://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms...kit/cat8780001
Advice please
george

why would it be damp under the lino?
I thought its waterproof.

because
There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath!

Just in case you don't know, black mould is bad news for health and must all be removed.

Hanging a radiator in a room with a sloping floor F[_2_] UK diy 4 October 4th 13 12:00 PM
Sloping gara, -er, SHOP floor Matt Stachoni Woodworking 15 November 10th 05 03:52 PM
sloping floor TLF Home Repair 5 June 2nd 05 11:12 PM
Sloping Basement Floor BluesDrummer Home Repair 3 April 9th 05 06:43 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM