DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Selling more gas (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644818-selling-more-gas.html)

Andy Burns[_13_] February 22nd 20 08:20 AM

Selling more gas

If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to turn
the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could play the
advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the background to
placate lonely dogs.

jon lopgel February 22nd 20 08:30 AM

Selling more gas

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to turn
the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could play the
advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the background to placate
lonely dogs.

Doesnt work with the better systems like siri,
it is trained to your voice so that wouldnt work.

Andy Burns[_13_] February 22nd 20 09:06 AM

Selling more gas

jon lopgel wrote:

better systems like siri, it is trained to your voice so that
wouldnt work.

You /can/ train google assistant to one or more voices (which is
intended to distinguish between people's playlists, to-do lists, payment
cards) but training doesn't much reduce the false triggering which seems
to work more on the cadence of the phrase.

Peeler[_4_] February 22nd 20 09:39 AM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 19:30:45 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

Doesnąt work with the better systems like siri,
it is trained to your voice so that wouldnąt work.

How many of those idiotic gadgets do you have, you lonely forsaken senile
sociopath? After all, they are the ONLY ones in your senile real life that
"talk" to you! And we all know the reason why!!! BG

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 22nd 20 10:48 AM

Selling more gas

Yes there have been complaints about radio stations and plays and adverts
causing mayhem. Surely these people understand these things are mostly on
line all the time?Indeed its not well known but there is a hack whereby you
can change the wake word to something so unusual it would not appear in any
kind of normal talk, so radio stations can use them on air without having to
press the button. It needs a secret skill and a phrase you have to say
involving the word POKE, I bet that takes you back!
However, they could do as the bbc do in their promos, and just use the
reply, or invent another word and dub it in. Its not rocket science, is it?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 22nd 20 10:50 AM

Selling more gas

No but Lady A it does, although she does ask if I'd like to train her to
recognise my voice. Its not very successful I have to say.
Unfortunately partnering with Google they probably are onto a win win
situation, as I don't think you can change the wake word at all.
Brian

--
----- --

Andy Burns[_13_] February 22nd 20 10:53 AM

Selling more gas

Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes there have been complaints about radio stations and plays and adverts
causing mayhem. Its not rocket science, is it?

AFAIK there is no way to alter the wake word on the gooogle devices,
people compile lists of unexpected phrases that are similar enough to
trigger it, I've noticed the stilted presentation style that many
youtubers adopt is prone to trigger it.

polygonum_on_google[_2_] February 22nd 20 11:25 AM

Selling more gas

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 08:20:49 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to turn
the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could play the
advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the background to
placate lonely dogs.

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course, my phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything I know of is off.)

I detest using voice to control things. It simply jars with my very being. When I have had to use voice, I end up stuttering and being incomprehensible - yet normally, with humans, I am positively loquacious.

Inability to switch off voice control would be sufficent reason to not buy a product.

Andy Burns[_13_] February 22nd 20 11:43 AM

Selling more gas

polygonum_on_google wrote:

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course,
my phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything
I know of is off.)

I didn't have any always listening devices until recently, I can speak
to my car's handsfree or satnav in after pressing a button on the
steering wheel, I have my phone set so it isn't listening for the
wake-word, then at xmas google offered me a free smart speaker, mixed
results but generally positive ...

I detest using voice to control things. It simply jars with my very
being. When I have had to use voice, I end up stuttering and being
incomprehensible - yet normally, with humans, I am positively
loquacious.

sometimes it's handy, other times not, I wouldn't like a home full of
devices that can *only* be controlled by voice.

Inability to switch off voice control would be sufficent reason to
not buy a product.

there is a physical mic switch.

Roger Hayter[_2_] February 22nd 20 11:50 AM

Selling more gas

polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 08:20:49 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to turn
the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could play the
advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the background to
placate lonely dogs.

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course, my
phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything I know
of is off.)

I detest using voice to control things. It simply jars with my very being.
When I have had to use voice, I end up stuttering and being
incomprehensible - yet normally, with humans, I am positively loquacious.

Inability to switch off voice control would be sufficent reason to not buy
a product.

I agree. I just don't see the need for it either. If you really don't
want to stand up and walk to the switch, operation over the local
network using a phone or other computer would seem rather more
civilised.

--

Roger Hayter

Steve Walker[_5_] February 22nd 20 02:48 PM

Selling more gas

On 22/02/2020 11:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 22 February 2020 08:20:49 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to turn
the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could play the
advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the background to
placate lonely dogs.

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course, my phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything I know of is off.)

I detest using voice to control things. It simply jars with my very being. When I have had to use voice, I end up stuttering and being incomprehensible - yet normally, with humans, I am positively loquacious.

Inability to switch off voice control would be sufficent reason to not buy a product.

I prefer the way the Amazon Firestick works - the remote control has the
microphone and a push-to-talk button, so there is no need for anything
to be listening except when you want to give it a command.

SteveW

Tricky Dicky[_4_] February 22nd 20 03:07 PM

Selling more gas

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course, my phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything I know of is off.)

I detest using voice to control things. It simply jars with my very being. When I have had to use voice, I end up stuttering and being incomprehensible - yet normally, with humans, I am positively loquacious.

Inability to switch off voice control would be sufficent reason to not buy a product.

You can still control things without voice control just use the relevant app certainly all Echo devices have a microphone kill button. I have had voice control in several cars now and have never used it mainly because the first one needed you to remember specific command phrases. By the time I could remember the correct commands and go through the process of going through various menus I could have pressed the relevant button. Since then I have ignored voice control even though later versions might be simpler to use, just not bothered to find out.

Richard

jon lopgel February 22nd 20 04:02 PM

Selling more gas

"Andy Burns" wrote in message

jon lopgel wrote:

better systems like siri, it is trained to your voice so that
wouldnt work.

You /can/ train google assistant to one or more voices (which is intended
to distinguish between people's playlists, to-do lists, payment cards) but
training doesn't much reduce the false triggering which seems to work more
on the cadence of the phrase.

Like I said, it works much better with siri.

jon lopgel February 22nd 20 04:03 PM

Selling more gas

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes there have been complaints about radio stations and plays and adverts
causing mayhem. Its not rocket science, is it?

AFAIK there is no way to alter the wake word on the gooogle devices,
people compile lists of unexpected phrases that are similar enough to
trigger it, I've noticed the stilted presentation style that many
youtubers adopt is prone to trigger it.

Doesnt happen with sire. Alexa is even worse,

jon lopgel February 22nd 20 04:07 PM

Selling more gas

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
No but Lady A it does, although she does ask if I'd like to train her to
recognise my voice. Its not very successful I have to say.

It is with siri.

Unfortunately partnering with Google they probably are onto a win win
situation, as I don't think you can change the wake word at all.

We arent talking about changing the wake word, we are
talking about training it to only work with your voice.

--
----- --

Andy Burns[_13_] February 22nd 20 04:07 PM

Selling more gas

jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

You /can/ train google assistant to one or more voices

Like I said, it works much better with siri.

Brian seems to disagree.

jon lopgel February 22nd 20 04:16 PM

Selling more gas

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

Much more primitive, actually. Particularly when your
hands are otherwise occupied like when cooking etc.
Much more convenient than a manual timer etc.

Very convenient for launching apps on the phone too
and for initiating a navigation when driving around and
to get it to answer an incoming call or to call someone.

John Rumm February 22nd 20 04:59 PM

Selling more gas

On 22/02/2020 11:25, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 22 February 2020 08:20:49 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to
turn the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could
play the advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the
background to placate lonely dogs.

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course,
my phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything
I know of is off.)

I detest using voice to control things. It simply jars with my very
being. When I have had to use voice, I end up stuttering and being
incomprehensible - yet normally, with humans, I am positively
loquacious.

Part of the difficulty is the need to converse in a way that is not
really a conversation.

Talking to people is usually a multiple step process, where deciding
what to say next is easy and intuitive. Information flows in small lots
during multiple interactions. Trying to work out a clearly spoken
packet of information to instruct your smart device with everything it
needs to do something in one hit can be much harder.

Modern kit is getting better at conversational - but its still not quite
there.

(ISTR reading that Google are working on a whole android replacement
designed to be conversational as a basic foundation)

Inability to switch off voice control would be sufficent reason to
not buy a product.

I find it useful occasionally. Interacting with the phone in the car for
example to "navigate to" or "raad my last text message", but keeping it
talking long enough to get the desired result can be hard - especially
if you can't see or touch the screen.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peeler[_4_] February 22nd 20 05:00 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:03 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 03:02:02 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:01??? LMAO! Yet AGAIN? Sick idiot!

cretin from Oz:

Peeler[_4_] February 22nd 20 05:01 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:07 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 03:07:20 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:07??? Do you really know NO shame AT ALL, you despicable psychopathic
cretin?

Peeler[_4_] February 22nd 20 05:03 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:03 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 03:03:46 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

03:03??? Let me guess: it will be another LONG night of endless trolling for
you again, you lonely obnoxious cretin!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Peeler[_4_] February 22nd 20 05:04 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:16 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 03:16:38 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile troll****

03:16, AGAIN??? ROTFLOL

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
jon lopgel February 22nd 20 05:08 PM

Selling more gas

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
jon lopgel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
You /can/ train google assistant to one or more voices

Like I said, it works much better with siri.

Brian seems to disagree.

No he doesnt, he's talking about alexa, not siri.

Peeler[_4_] February 22nd 20 05:28 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:08 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 04:08:09 +1100, jon lopgel, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

04:08? Do you have no self-respect AT ALL, senile sociopath? tsk

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

bert[_7_] February 24th 20 08:39 PM

Selling more gas

In article ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Saturday, 22 February 2020 08:20:49 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
If you're Centrica, just include the phrase "OK G**gl* tell Hive to turn
the heating on" in your adverts.

Yes they actually do that, I suppose for best effect they could play the
advert in one of those podcasts people leave in the background to
placate lonely dogs.

I have not got any active voice-activated devices. (Yes, of course, my
phone or whatever might surreptitiously be listening, but anything I
know of is off.)

SWMBO thinks I am one.

polygonum_on_google[_2_] February 25th 20 09:08 AM

Selling more gas

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 11:43:13 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

Good there is a switch - but if the product effectively doesn't work without voice, that isn't very helpful! Also, I feel I am paying for the voice mechansim, including the switch, when I don't want it. Effectively, my money is being used to enhance a company's ability to collect more information so as to make even more out of me.

polygonum_on_google[_2_] February 25th 20 09:11 AM

Selling more gas

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 16:59:55 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

For my needs, I'll find somewhere to stop and read my messages!

Something based from the ground up on voice sounds hideous.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] February 25th 20 09:57 AM

Selling more gas

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 01:11:06 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Interacting with the phone in the car for example to "navigate to"

or
"raad my last text message", but keeping it talking long enough to

get
the desired result can be hard - especially if you can't see or

touch
the screen.

For my needs, I'll find somewhere to stop and read my messages!

I have an app that'll read out new messages so I know the content and
thus decide if I need to stop to respond or not. It does text to
speech within the phone. The app can also do speech to text for a
reply but needs to be online for that to work. That can be handy but
it's accurracy leaves a little to be desired, presumably because of
the background noise whilst driving.

Something based from the ground up on voice sounds hideous.

Agreed text to speech or speech to text just isn't relaible enough
IMHO. Not to mention the delay whilst it "thinks about" what you have
said. It just a makes the whole process so cumbersome especially for
commonly used sequencies which w,ith proper buttons, you learn the
order of. Note proper buttons not touch screen "buttons" that may or
may not register a touch or register more than one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Burns[_13_] February 25th 20 10:18 AM

Selling more gas

Dave Liquorice wrote:

speech to text just isn't relaible enough
IMHO. Not to mention the delay whilst it "thinks about" what you have
said. It just a makes the whole process so cumbersome especially for
commonly used sequencies which w,ith proper buttons, you learn the
order of. Note proper buttons not touch screen "buttons" that may or
may not register a touch or register more than one.

Having now tried out the "free" google device I certainly wouldn't want
my lighting, audio, heating to be *only* controlled by it, but it's a
useful extra method for the lazy ... "Hey g**gle, turn off the ceiling
light, and turn the bedside light on minimum and stream Radio4" from
beneath the sheets.

John Rumm February 25th 20 02:10 PM

Selling more gas

On 25/02/2020 09:11, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

I say, "ok google, read my last message" and it reads it out to me. It
then reads each new message in turn and offers the option to skip to the
next or reply each.

Something based from the ground up on voice sounds hideous.

I think you might be misinterpreting that. It will still allow
interactions in all the normal ways, but will also handle extended
contextualised conversations better. If you like making it a more
natural conversation.

Android already does it to a limited extent. You can say: "send a text"
and it will ask "Who to", you then say a name. If it can uniquely
identify the recipient in your contacts from what you say it will ask
for the message, else it might read a list of names and ask which one.
(or it might ask you to chose when number to text when there are
multiple for a given contact). Once you have spoken your message, it
will read it back, and ask if you want to send or edit etc.

In other cases its a bit more stilted, since you may have to use the "ok
google" wake up to continue a conversation. e.g. "ok, what is the
weather like", will cause it to speak a summary of the weather for the
current location. You can then say "ok google, what about tomorrow", and
it will understand that is an extension of the previous question, and
tell you about tomorrow's weather even though I did not mention weather
that time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rod Speed February 25th 20 05:04 PM

Selling more gas

polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

They all have more fancy versions with a screen etc too.
And an app for your phone as well.

Also, I feel I am paying for the voice mechansim,
including the switch, when I don't want it.

But you are free to turn the mic on when you want
to tell it to do something and turn it off so it isnt
listening when you dont want to tell it to do stuff.

Effectively, my money is being used to enhance
a company's ability to collect more information
so as to make even more out of me.

Thats silly. And Apple doesnt make any money out
of the information, they dont sell it to anyone. And
in fact encrypt it so even they cant see where you
have navigated to etc.

Rod Speed February 25th 20 05:07 PM

Selling more gas

[...]

Much more convenient to not have to stop. I get a pair of messages
every time there is any transaction on any of my cards or bank accounts
and most of the operations that take automatic payments for the
net service or the electricity etc warn me a few days before that
happens so I can ensure that there is enough funds in that account.

Something based from the ground up on voice sounds hideous.

Only for luddites.

John_j February 25th 20 05:45 PM

Selling more gas

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
[...]

Its plenty reliable enough for some things like a kitchen
timer. I use mine almost every evening meal and I cant
remember the last time it failed reliability wise.

The only real quirk is that siri wont don't multiple simultaneous
timers and alexa does and I very occasionally tell siri to set the
multiple timer instead of alexa. I normally set 2 or 3 timers for
the evening meal,

Not to mention the delay whilst it "thinks about" what you have said.

Don't get that either.

It just a makes the whole process so cumbersome especially for
commonly used sequencies which w,ith proper buttons, you learn the
order of. Note proper buttons not touch screen "buttons" that may or
may not register a touch or register more than one.

Much more convenient to tell siri to turn all the lights
off last thing at night than to fart around with switches.

Even better first thing in the morning when it reads me
the weather forecast, tells me the current temperature etc
and turns on the lights needed given that I always get up
in the dark. And turns the do not disturb off, with just one
good morning command which it never gets wrong.

John_j February 25th 20 05:49 PM

Selling more gas

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

speech to text just isn't relaible enough
IMHO. Not to mention the delay whilst it "thinks about" what you have
said. It just a makes the whole process so cumbersome especially for
commonly used sequencies which w,ith proper buttons, you learn the
order of. Note proper buttons not touch screen "buttons" that may or
may not register a touch or register more than one.

Having now tried out the "free" google device I certainly wouldn't want my
lighting, audio, heating to be *only* controlled by it, but it's a useful
extra method for the lazy ...

Not just the lazy, for those who want to do things more efficiently too.

I dont use any physical switches at all anymore, its all done
with movement sensors with a few very short commands to
turn off all lights last thing at night and turn on what is needed
when getting up in the morning in the dark etc.

"Hey g**gle, turn off the ceiling
light, and turn the bedside light on minimum and stream Radio4" from
beneath the sheets.

Makes more sense to have a few scenes for common configs
and just use that scene word to initiate multiple changes.

Just morning first thing in the morning etc
Hey google morning.,

Peeler[_4_] February 25th 20 06:36 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:04 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 04:04:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

04:04??? LOL So why do you REFUSE to take your Nembutal, senile cretin?
Everyone who knows you, online and in RL, is anticipating it!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Peeler[_4_] February 25th 20 06:38 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:49 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 04:49:55 +1100, John_j, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

04:49??? LOL So you've been up and trolling for OVER AN HOUR already! Yet
AGAIN! I really would like to come over and shove your Nembutal down your
senile throat, you senile pest!

cretin from Oz:

Peeler[_4_] February 25th 20 06:40 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:45 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 04:45:16 +1100, John_j, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

04:45??? Where's your Nembutal, senile Rodent? I'll buy a ticket to
Australia and shove your Nembutal down your senile throat, you senile
cretin!

cretin from Oz:

Peeler[_4_] February 25th 20 06:41 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:07 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 04:07:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the 85-year-old trolling senile cretin's latest troll****

04:07??? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Andy Burns[_13_] February 25th 20 07:30 PM

Selling more gas

John_j wrote:

Makes more sense to have a few scenes for common configs
and just use that scene word to initiate multiple changes.

I'm trying to avoid getting google too deeply involved in the system,
have a local hub to talk to all the devices, but happy enough to use
google as voice input, don't want the signal from a light switch to go
half way round the world and back to tell a light bulb to turn on.

Andy Burns[_13_] February 25th 20 07:33 PM

Selling more gas

John_j wrote:

The only real quirk is that siri wont don't multiple simultaneous
timers

google assistant often gets confused about types of timers, if I've
asked it to stream music or radio, I can ask it too set a sleep timer
for e.g. 1 hour when it will shut off, but sometimes instead it sets an
actual timer called sleep to make an alert in 1 hour ...