Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why are torx screws so expensive?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 13:48:30 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 19:52:08 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 11:23:34 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 27 January 2020 17:31:26 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 17:15:56 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Agreed. And we don't need 50 different sizes either. Small medium and
large would do fine. To change a part on my car I often need a 12mm,
13mm, 14mm, and 15mm spanner. Why make them all slightly different, even
on the same vehicle?

Because a stupid frog 'designed' it that way.

Not true of my cars.

Funny how all socket sets have everything from 4mm to 20mm in 1mm increments.

As for flat and Phillips, they should just be stopped. Pozi is much more
robust, and torx even better. When a better version is invented, the old
one should stop being made.

Problem is the license cost with the new one.

A license for a shape, WTF?

Anyway, come on, a pack of 100 screws - £10 for Pozi and £50 for Torx. That's way too much for a license.

Probably supply and demand torx are good but mostly not needed.

They bloody are, how many times have you burred a pozi?

Not many, and usually when I've used crap drivers, or phillips rather than pozi.
I've got Torx from T1 to T30

Or you're trying to use self tapping screws to self tap. They don't, you need to pilot drill, which isn't always possible, or is too much hassle.

using the correct tool for the job helps too.

Be more specific.

How about allen keys and hex and then there's security torx,

But security torx will also operate on torx. Might aswell just make all the bits with the hole in the middle.

Which will negate the idea behind security torx.

The idea has already failed, because I can buy security torx bits without signing some sort of agreement or having a criminal background check.

I think those 'new' trianglaur ones are worse as they are used when someone doesn't want
you to open something up.

Triwing. Do they really think we don't have Ebay? Bloody hell you can even buy specific ones to open a Playstation 4 or whatever.

of course you can buy them and yuop can buy bolt cutters too.
So what is the point of putting padlocks on suitcases when you go on holiday.
You don't even need a SDS drill to get through most suitcases.

I think you'd get stopped if you walked onto a train with bolt cutters. Those are large.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.0fkpgfoowdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

But battery mini angle grinders arent.

One silly pom cow here doesn't like the idea that the emergency
door release on our latest trains in Sydney can be overridden
by the main train control center so the emergency release
does nothing and carrys a battery powered angle grinder
with her at all times just in case the train derails and she
needs to cut her way out of the train.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:49 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 03:49:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

03:49??? Yet again? LMAO

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 16:01:21 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Not had a problem with them, although I do use a centre punch first.

They don't, you need to pilot drill, which isn't always possible, or is too much hassle.

Not if you want to do it right.

using the correct tool for the job helps too.

Be more specific.

if I know it;s a torx screw I try to find out what size, and then pick the appropriate driver from my T1 to T30 set.

How about allen keys and hex and then there's security torx,

But security torx will also operate on torx. Might aswell just make all the bits with the hole in the middle.

That would make them more expensive and mean experone would have to buy the
more expensive drivers, what's the point (pun intended)

Which will negate the idea behind security torx.

The idea has already failed, because I can buy security torx bits without signing some sort of agreement or having a criminal background check.

Most won't realise and it's only a first step measure.
we had load of mice go missing from the PC's but we had security screws on our mace mice and none went missing and they were more expensive.
So it worked for us.

I think those 'new' trianglaur ones are worse as they are used when someone doesn't want
you to open something up.

Triwing. Do they really think we don't have Ebay? Bloody hell you can even buy specific ones to open a Playstation 4 or whatever.

of course you can buy them and yuop can buy bolt cutters too.
So what is the point of putting padlocks on suitcases when you go on holiday.
You don't even need a SDS drill to get through most suitcases.

I think you'd get stopped if you walked onto a train with bolt cutters. Those are large.

Not if you're a memebr of staff or wear a high viz jacket you won't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile HUGE ASSHOLE Alert! LOL

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 07:11:28 -0800 (PST), whisky-depraved, the notorious,

Not if you're a memebr of staff or wear a high viz jacket you won't.

BOTH of you equally retarded idiots should be put in a straight jacket! And
I wouldn't be surprised at all if you cretins hadn't been put in one
repeatedly!