Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing cooker switch backbox...

I want to change some switches & sockets.
Currently a 45a 1 gang cooker switch is in a 1 gang back box,
physically seperate from an adjacent 1 gang 20a switch
(dishwasher) & a double socket, these last share a 2 gang back
box (socket) & a linked (with a metal knockout joiner) 1 gang
back box.

I was going to replace these with a 2 gang box for the socket, & a
dual back box for the 2 single gang switches (cooker &
dishwasher) but a thought/question occurred....

Are these circuits (1 cooker, & 2 the others) supposed to have
separate earths as now?

If I were to use a dual box I'd in effect be linking their earths....

TIA
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/02/2020 16:00, Jimk wrote:
I want to change some switches & sockets.
Currently a 45a 1 gang cooker switch is in a 1 gang back box,
physically seperate from an adjacent 1 gang 20a switch
(dishwasher) & a double socket, these last share a 2 gang back
box (socket) & a linked (with a metal knockout joiner) 1 gang
back box.

I was going to replace these with a 2 gang box for the socket, & a
dual back box for the 2 single gang switches (cooker &
dishwasher) but a thought/question occurred....

Are these circuits (1 cooker, & 2 the others) supposed to have
separate earths as now?

If I were to use a dual box I'd in effect be linking their earths....

TIA

It's not a problem.

PS Do you remember supplementary bonding in bathrooms? That used to
"earth" together various electrical circuits (lighting, CH, immersion,
electric shower etc).

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 06/02/2020 16:00, Jimk wrote:
[...]

I do indeed now you mention it!

Cheers Adam :-)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

2 gang dimmer that fits a 2 gang backbox ARWadsworth UK diy 8 June 12th 07 06:00 PM
Running an earth bond wire through a backbox Ben Blaukopf UK diy 3 March 23rd 07 11:24 PM
Backbox depth David Hearn UK diy 4 March 31st 05 10:46 PM
Cooker Switch, back box earthing Ian UK diy 6 August 30th 04 09:48 PM
dual backbox question a UK diy 1 August 17th 04 12:14 AM