Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to fix these in place?

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of alignment. Ideas welcome!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to

meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise.
But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim
nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side
of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there.
Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how
to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to
slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to
get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the
string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars
will end up out of alignment. Ideas welcome!

NT

Skewed screws, counter bored for heads and the hole filled?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 23:44:47 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to

meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise.
But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim
nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side
of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there.
Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how
to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to
slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to
get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the
string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars
will end up out of alignment. Ideas welcome!

NT

Skewed screws, counter bored for heads and the hole filled?

Yeah, I reckon so.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2020 23:22, wrote:
Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps
to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space
up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right
side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar.
But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear
how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg
with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with
using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being
angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2

A dowel would not actually be that difficult - drill the initial hole in
the stringer at a slight angle, and then straighten the drill as you
reach full depth. In effect creating a squashed conical hole - with some
slop near the surface in the front to back sense. That should allow the
down to enter at an angle, but then straighten and tighten as it bottoms
out.

nails at an angle through the bar into the string is an option, but
my experience with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of
alignment. Ideas welcome!

Rail end sockets used with a bar:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-loc...pack/5008v#_=p

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A dowel in a deep hole with a coil spring behind it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:

I'm not sure what size the bars are, but let's say 1" square.

Use wooden brush handle as dowel instead of square bars, drill a partial
hole in the left stringer, drill a full hole in the right stringer,
insert the long dowel and glue-up?

Or use pipe instead of dowel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2020 09:46, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, wrote:
Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps
to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space
up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side
is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar. But
the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one
could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with
little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with using a
dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being angled, so
it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an
angle through the bar into the string is an option, but my experience
with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of alignment. Ideas
welcome!

NT

I'm not sure what size the bars are, but let's say 1" square.Â* Use two
strips of 1" x 1/2" for each one instead, rout out a shallow slot in the
ends so as to form a hole in the end if the two strips were held together.

Use a woodscrew with a steel spacer to form a dowel projecting from the
inside of the stairs - or just a wooden dowel - then clamp and glue or
screw the strips together around this.

Two woodscrews left proud by 10mm or so, one above the other, The
softwood strips would probably not need routing, the screw heads would
bite in nicely when clamped.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Or screw some timber under the tread?

https://images.app.goo.gl/8UBZ7msYs6PWtfsw8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Or screw some timber under the tread?

https://images.app.goo.gl/8UBZ7msYs6PWtfsw8

I think that would look a lot better than an €śextra bar€ť.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 03:04:01 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

A few people seem to have misunderstood this. It's not possible to angle the bar more than marginally when inserting it, so any solution relying on sticking one end in then the other won't work.

Rail end sockets used with a bar:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-loc...pack/5008v#_=p

That would work, but it would look awful against what's already there.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 05:05:10 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

how to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar
has to slide into place without being angled

Spring loaded dowels?

https://www.berger-tools.co.uk/Indexing_Plungers_Locking_Pins__Spring_Plungers_/Gn610_Spring_Loaded_Shell_Steel_Or_Stainless_Steel

https://www.fdbonline.co.uk/products/245-9303?_pos=24&_sid=a607fc399&_ss=r

https://shutterplus.co.uk/product/louvre-pins-hidden-tilt-rod

I never knew such things existed. Now I do. Cheers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 08:21:30 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, tabbypurr wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of alignment.. Ideas welcome!

NT

What is the cross-section of the bars? Could you use pocket screws?

2x2. I reckon that's what I'll do. On one staircase I can position them invisibly, but on the other I can't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 09:46:21 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, tabbypurr wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of alignment.. Ideas welcome!

NT

I'm not sure what size the bars are, but let's say 1" square. Use two
strips of 1" x 1/2" for each one instead, rout out a shallow slot in the
ends so as to form a hole in the end if the two strips were held together..

Use a woodscrew with a steel spacer to form a dowel projecting from the
inside of the stairs - or just a wooden dowel - then clamp and glue or
screw the strips together around this.

Cheers

Clever. The wood has now been cut up ready to fit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 09:51:06 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

I'm not sure what size the bars are, but let's say 1" square.

Use wooden brush handle as dowel instead of square bars, drill a partial
hole in the left stringer, drill a full hole in the right stringer,
insert the long dowel and glue-up?

Or use pipe instead of dowel.

Yuck, but yes it'd work. Planning to pocket screw or angle nail.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 09:55:45 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, tabbypurr wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar. But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2 nails at an angle through the bar into the string is an option, but my experience with nailguns is that the bars will end up out of alignment.. Ideas welcome!

NT

Glue first and then nail.

Good idea, if the glue will hold when nailing. I'm not sure it will though.

Make a removable jig to position the bars so they don't move when nailing..

Yes I plan to, though I'm not as optimistic about them not moving.

Is nailing strong enough to survive someone (accidentally) kicking the
bar when ascending the stairs?

I think so.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

Now who'd do a thing like that...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2020 19:53, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps a diagram / photo would help?

Could you for example route a recess for the bar end that allows it to
be inserted deeper than required for assembly before being withdrawn
slightly for final fix?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 21:11:53 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/01/2020 19:53, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

No. And if I tried, patches of raw wood amid dark would look awful. I'll use angled screw/nails, it seems to be the only workable option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 January 2020 09:55:23 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
On 08/01/2020 19:53, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 03:04:01 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/01/2020 23:22, tabbypurr wrote:

Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps
to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space
up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right
side is easy, a slim nail through the string into the end of the bar.
But the left outer side of the stair is inaccessible, so not clear
how one could fix them there. Yes it's easy to do so it looks bad, eg
with little L brackets, but how to do it neatly? The problem with
using a dowel is that the bar has to slide into place without being
angled, so it would not be possible to get a dowel into position. 2

I'm late into this so apology if this has already been suggested.

You need something like this, Ive use mine to good effect.

Silverline Pocket Hole Screw Jig c/w Dowel Drill Sets Screw Joint Hole
Tools | eBay https://ebay.us/k3T2tJ

Mike

I can't think why I'd need that, and isn't the angle too shallow? A bit of card will make a template for marking where to drill so they're all the same. Plan to drill at nearer 45 degrees.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2020 18:00, wrote:
[...]

No, its just right :-)

A bit of card will make a template for marking where to drill so
they're all the same. Plan to drill at nearer 45 degrees.

The point of a pocket hole jig is it makes strong joints quickly and
repeatedly. While it all also make them consistent such that they line
up, that is not the main selling point.

The pocket hole has a flat bottom, which when used with the correct
pocket hole screws[1], will give a much stronger joint that will not
tend to split the end of the wood in the same way that driving a normal
wood screw at an angle will.

Ideally you need one with a proper profiled pocket hole drill bit with
the shoulder on it:

https://ebay.us/hmjePW

[1] e.g. with pan/wafer head, not countersunk:

https://ebay.us/OXSnHZ

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 January 2020 20:42:33 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2020 18:00, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I realise the shoulder with raised head is a plus for strength, but the shallow angle is a minus. It would either leave a thin bit of wood one side of the screw or the screw would be huge to get anywhere near the centre for better strength. A countersunk hole plus not overtightening does the job well enough.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 January 2020 13:12:01 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 09/01/2020 18:00, tabbypurr wrote:

I can't think why I'd need that, and isn't the angle too shallow? A bit of card will make a template for marking where to drill so they're all the same. Plan to drill at nearer 45 degrees.

Depending on access, I would take a block of scrap wood, drill a hole
through it at 45 degrees and then clamp it to what you want to drill to
act as a drill guide. In my experience attempting to keep a fixed angle
using a card guide with a drill freehand is difficult. With a
pre-drilled scrap of wood the drill bits keep going at the correct angle.

I measured the point to drill then went in freehand. It doesn't matter if there's a bit of variation on angle.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2020 01:39, wrote:
[...]

The angle is such that when you place a pocket hole on the end of a 19mm
bit of wood/ply the screw will emerge from the end approximately in the
middle of the thickness, and the part of the screw that penetrates the
adjacent panel, will remain within the footprint of the end of the
timber with the pocket hole.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 January 2020 23:53:01 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/01/2020 01:39, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Yup. I'm using 44mm. Main thing with an angled screw is to countersink & not tighten it up too much. It's sorted now.

NT