Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone know anything about Japanese (maybe Chinese) furniture?

A lady friend far from here (Edinburgh) has been bequeathed some what
look to my eye, from photographs, to be Japanese items of furniture.
Age and quality is unknown, but she wishes to dispose of them. I
wouldn't want to see her items under sold, but how to proceed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 December 2019 16:01:59 UTC, wrote:
A lady friend far from here (Edinburgh) has been bequeathed some what
look to my eye, from photographs, to be Japanese items of furniture.
Age and quality is unknown, but she wishes to dispose of them. I
wouldn't want to see her items under sold, but how to proceed?

I assume the lady friend is in Edinburgh?

One of the main auction houses?

https://www.mctears.co.uk/whats-it-worth

https://ramsaycornish.com/departments/oriental/

https://www.thomsonroddick.com/presale-valuation.html

etc.

and Lyon and Turnbull have a Chinese speaking department.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright expressed precisely :
On 23/12/2019 16:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A lady friend far from here (Edinburgh) has been bequeathed some what look
to my eye, from photographs, to be Japanese items of furniture. Age and
quality is unknown, but she wishes to dispose of them. I wouldn't want to
see her items under sold, but how to proceed?

Drew and Tee

Bill

Thanks all, I have now managed to find someone able to assess them in
Edinburgh and been told they are of Chinese origin and probably no more
than around 50 years old.

If anyone on here might be interested in looking or perhaps making an
offer for them, I can forward photographs.

Yes, they are located not far from Edinburgh.