DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Moss on roof (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/642929-moss-roof.html)

Mr Pounder Esquire December 22nd 19 05:28 PM

Moss on roof

Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes time to
work?

Andy Burns[_13_] December 22nd 19 05:35 PM

Moss on roof

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day

Round here it's the crows and rooks that dislodge the moss while pecking
to find insects of some sort.

ARW December 22nd 19 05:51 PM

Moss on roof

On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes time to
work?

No Rod Hull impressions then?

--
Adam

Andy Burns[_13_] December 22nd 19 05:53 PM

Moss on roof

Jethro_uk wrote:

when SWMBO was taking weekly injections of Avonex - a beta interferon
for MS. In some people it can produce a ****ty 24-48 hours of "flu
like symptoms", and it did in SWMBO. However, buried in a magazine
was a tip that eating*fresh* pineapple before the injection would
greatly reduce this. SWMBO tried it, and it eliminated these effects.
Being of a scientific bent, she experimented and confirmed that
eating pineapple prevented side effects. Not eating it and they
developed.

Does pineapple have an undesirable interaction with the drug, the same
way that grapefruit can?

Brian Reay[_6_] December 22nd 19 06:01 PM

Moss on roof

On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes time to
work?

I've heard the same re copper wire. I suspect it could be a question of
concentration. One wire on a small roof may do the trick. One wire on a
large roof may help but not cure the problem.

Wet and Forget is another product someone recommended but I've not tried
it.

Caecilius[_2_] December 22nd 19 06:33 PM

Moss on roof

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 17:28:28 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes time to
work?

The best thing I've found for killing moss is benzalkonium chloride.
It's the active ingrident in most patio and decking treatments, but is
available much more cheaply as "BAC 50".

I buy 5 litres each year, which is enough to treat my drive at patio.
I've not tried it on my roof yet though.

Mr Pounder Esquire December 22nd 19 07:29 PM

Moss on roof

Andy Burns wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day

Round here it's the crows and rooks that dislodge the moss while
pecking to find insects of some sort.

This is the first year that this has been happening.

Mr Pounder Esquire December 22nd 19 07:32 PM

Moss on roof

Brian Reay wrote:
On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very
rough and are like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof,
never mind and ******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since
Autumn chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe
the copper wire takes time to work?

I've heard the same re copper wire. I suspect it could be a question
of concentration. One wire on a small roof may do the trick. One wire
on a large roof may help but not cure the problem.

Wet and Forget is another product someone recommended but I've not
tried it.

Seems to have helped. I've had to clean the gutters out a couple of times.

Mr Pounder Esquire December 22nd 19 07:34 PM

Moss on roof

wrote:

Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very
rough and are like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof,
never mind and ******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since
Autumn chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe
the copper wire takes time to work?

The best thing I've found for killing moss is benzalkonium chloride.
It's the active ingrident in most patio and decking treatments, but is
available much more cheaply as "BAC 50".

I buy 5 litres each year, which is enough to treat my drive at patio.
I've not tried it on my roof yet though.

No moss on the drive. I'm too bloody old to climb back on that roof again.

Fredxx[_3_] December 22nd 19 08:15 PM

Moss on roof

On 22/12/2019 19:19:45, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very
rough and are like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof,
never mind and ******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since
Autumn chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe
the copper wire takes time to work?

No Rod Hull impressions then?

Wot?

This one, I believe it was his last.

Fredxx[_3_] December 22nd 19 08:16 PM

Moss on roof

wrote:

Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very
rough and are like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof,
never mind and ******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since
Autumn chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe
the copper wire takes time to work?

The best thing I've found for killing moss is benzalkonium chloride.
It's the active ingrident in most patio and decking treatments, but is
available much more cheaply as "BAC 50".

I buy 5 litres each year, which is enough to treat my drive at patio.
I've not tried it on my roof yet though.

No moss on the drive. I'm too bloody old to climb back on that roof again.

A decent spray might get far enough

Mr Pounder Esquire December 22nd 19 09:10 PM

Moss on roof

wrote:

[...]

Maybe next year if I'm still around. I would have thought the sun would have
killed the moss. The north facing roof is fine.

Marland December 22nd 19 11:40 PM

Moss on roof

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 17:28:28 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough
and are like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never
mind and ******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn
chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper
wire takes time to work?

Yeah, I've heard that too - from enough "different" sources (possibly
here) that I was tempted when I was last up on the roof.

Wasnt there a contributor on here when usenet was still in short trousers
who manufactured shaped copper sheets for the the ridge as part of a
business? Scottish based ISTR
The components were a lot more substantial than a thin bit of wire.

Wonder if this is them.

http://www.westlothianroofing.co.uk/copper_ridge.html

GH

Fredxx[_3_] December 23rd 19 12:55 AM

Moss on roof

wrote:

[...]

They say the good die young, you should live forever! :-)

Bill Wright[_3_] December 23rd 19 03:27 AM

Moss on roof

On 23/12/2019 00:55, Fredxx wrote:

They say the good die young, you should live forever! :-)

Harsh

Bill

alan_m December 23rd 19 05:10 AM

Moss on roof

On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes time to
work?

Has the copper wire gone green?

Spike[_6_] December 23rd 19 09:20 AM

Moss on roof

On 22/12/2019 18:46, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 17:53:13 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

when SWMBO was taking weekly injections of Avonex - a beta interferon
for MS. In some people it can produce a ****ty 24-48 hours of "flu like
symptoms", and it did in SWMBO. However, buried in a magazine was a tip
that eating*fresh* pineapple before the injection would greatly reduce
this. SWMBO tried it, and it eliminated these effects.
Being of a scientific bent, she experimented and confirmed that eating
pineapple prevented side effects. Not eating it and they developed.

Does pineapple have an undesirable interaction with the drug, the same
way that grapefruit can?

Well it's not contra indicated, and SWMBO didn't seem to suffer for 10
years but that's anecdata, not research.

The more interesting thing is despite telling her consultant back in
2004, in 2014, not a single patient had been advised by the consultant -
despite at least 10 SWMBO was in regular contact with trying it and
mentioning to the same consultant how effective it seemed.

Even now, with t'internet, it seems to be a just a piece of folklore -
but SWMBO has mentioned in on MS newsgroups, and people are still finding
it effective. Except for the ones who use tinned pineapple and then say
"it doesn't work". But there really is no helping some people.

One gets the impression that the medical mind runs on rails - probably
something to do with being sued should things go awry. If it isn't part
of the official diagnosis/treatment algorithm, it won't get mentioned.
It's left to self-help groups and the like to spread the word. Arthritis
is another similar area - anecdata suggests not consuming tomatoes and
potatoes can ameliorate the discomfort, but you'll never hear that in a
doctor's surgery.

--
Spike

harry December 23rd 19 09:21 AM

Moss on roof

http://www.ibnature.com/copper-compo...lgaecides.html
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/copper...oss-33916.html

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) December 23rd 19 09:38 AM

Moss on roof

Copper strip works better. Its a hard one as possibly not all of it is moss,
it can act as a growing agent for all sorts of other organic stuff from
fungi to ordinary weeds, its a jungle up there.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Reay[_6_] December 23rd 19 09:47 AM

Moss on roof

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

If you speak to doctors- and I mean those who have been around some time
and across a range of areas- you will learn that is far from the case.

True, there are some 'standard' approaches, which experience has shown
tend to work. It makes sense, when confronted with a patient who
presents the appropriate symptoms and/or gives the right details etc
those first- and it may require a few tries, especially of drug 'mixes'.
However, if the standard approaches don't work, the medics go 'off
piste' and do try other mixes or things.

It is amazing, for example, how many drugs originally developed for one
purpose are used 'off label' for other things, in some cases even if
they are deprecated for their original use. There are some, (in) famous
examples.

probably
something to do with being sued should things go awry.

In the UK, suing of Doctors is surprising rare. I know someone who
worked (briefly) for a company dealing in malpractice insurance for
Doctors who do private work. Only those in 'cosmetic surgery' are
considered a serious risk in terms of insurance.

If it isn't part
of the official diagnosis/treatment algorithm, it won't get mentioned.
It's left to self-help groups and the like to spread the word. Arthritis
is another similar area - anecdata suggests not consuming tomatoes and
potatoes can ameliorate the discomfort, but you'll never hear that in a
doctor's surgery.

Ah yes. I remember your advice re ignoring the Government's previous
alcohol consumption limit and your advocating a not 21 units but 60+.
Oddly, since then the mention of even moderate consumption sends you
into a tirade.

Adrian Caspersz December 23rd 19 09:49 AM

Moss on roof

On 23/12/2019 09:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 09:20:20 +0000, Spike
wrote:
One gets the impression that the medical mind runs on rails - probably
something to do with being sued should things go awry. If it isn't part
of the official diagnosis/treatment algorithm, it won't get mentioned.
It's left to self-help groups and the like to spread the word. Arthritis
is another similar area - anecdata suggests not consuming tomatoes and
potatoes can ameliorate the discomfort, but you'll never hear that in a
doctor's surgery.

They're both members of the Solanaceae family. Also includes peppers.
All Solanaceae are said to promote inflammation - hence the reason to
avoid them if you've got an inflammatory condition such as arthritis.

Ah, that explains why I ejected a tooth the other day :-(

Someone at work proffered up some chilli infused vodka, me gums had a
brush with dynamite...

--
Adrian C

Brian Reay[_6_] December 23rd 19 09:53 AM

Moss on roof

On 23/12/2019 05:10, alan_m wrote:
On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind
and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes
time to
work?

Has the copper wire gone green?

I recall an old church somewhere with a glorious green copper roof on
its spire. We stopped and admired it. Another tourist commented that
they should polish it.

alan_m December 23rd 19 10:04 AM

Moss on roof

Copper strip works better. Its a hard one as possibly not all of it is moss,
it can act as a growing agent for all sorts of other organic stuff from
fungi to ordinary weeds, its a jungle up there.

It probably will not work if the wire or strip has been varnished or
coated. The last copper strip I purchased (not for moss prevention) had
a thick plastic type coating to keep it looking shiny. I had to scrape
off some of this coating to solder a connection.

Brian Reay[_6_] December 23rd 19 10:15 AM

Moss on roof

wrote:

[...]

I don't sun it makes much difference. Our road runs, more or less,
North/South and most houses on our side have the roofs parallel to the
road. One 'face' gets the morning sun but some houses are shaded by tall
trees. The West side isn't shaded and gets the afternoon sun.

We used to be (more) shaded at the front (east side) but some trees were
removed (long story). From my roof I can see several nearby roofs on the
west side and the east side roofs are easy to see from the road due to
the lay of the land (the side of a hill).

To the eye, moss growth is about the same on both sides, certainly on
our house and the nearby ones. The front of ours was recently cleared,
the back will be done when the weather permits. I did it some years
back*, hopefully I won't need to do it again for some years!

*Last time I just brushed it, this time it was power washed. I'm
considering applying something like 'wet and forget' or similar.

Spike[_6_] December 23rd 19 12:00 PM

Moss on roof

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

It's not for the squeamish, but the BBC drama 'Bodies' on iPlayer
explains why the suing of doctors is rare - summed up as 'doctors look
after doctors, even the bad ones'. The drama doesn't show senior
doctors, and hospital management, in a good light.

If it isn't part
of the official diagnosis/treatment algorithm, it won't get mentioned.
It's left to self-help groups and the like to spread the word. Arthritis
is another similar area - anecdata suggests not consuming tomatoes and
potatoes can ameliorate the discomfort, but you'll never hear that in a
doctor's surgery.

Ah yes. I remember your advice re ignoring the Government's previous
alcohol consumption limit and your advocating a not 21 units but 60+.
Oddly, since then the mention of even moderate consumption sends you
into a tirade.

Many people have failed to notice that we now live in an era of Virtue
Signalling, Political Correctness. Perception Management, Identity
Politics, etc etc, and this is just as prevalent in the medical field as
in the 'climate change' industry. One either believes in what gets
handed out as the latest gospel, or works out why one is being fed such
things and in what ways the actual facts are being manipulated. Perhaps
your frequent mentions of steak, duck, goose, Calafornia wine and
Bushmills whisky are related to cognitive dissonance, given the current
war on booze and red meats from the great and the good.

--
Spike

In the Climate Change belief system, only the future is certain,
but the past is constantly changing. Unite behind the science!

Mr Pounder Esquire December 23rd 19 12:29 PM

Moss on roof

alan_m wrote:
On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very
rough and are like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof,
never mind and ******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since
Autumn chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe
the copper wire takes time to work?

Has the copper wire gone green?

I can no longer see it with my tired old eyes, but it is not hanging down -
as far as I can see.
More moss has fallen down this morning.

Roger Hayter[_2_] December 23rd 19 01:20 PM

Moss on roof

wrote:
One gets the impression that the medical mind runs on rails - probably
something to do with being sued should things go awry. If it isn't part
of the official diagnosis/treatment algorithm, it won't get mentioned.
It's left to self-help groups and the like to spread the word. Arthritis
is another similar area - anecdata suggests not consuming tomatoes and
potatoes can ameliorate the discomfort, but you'll never hear that in a
doctor's surgery.

They're both members of the Solanaceae family. Also includes peppers.
All Solanaceae are said to promote inflammation - hence the reason to
avoid them if you've got an inflammatory condition such as arthritis.
But it seems difficult to get definitive information about it, I guess
because trials to prove the point would be expensive to run, with no
obvious benefit to the drug industry who would normally fund such
trials. http://tinyurl.com/rmzqm2y

Anyone with the cash to hire competent people and administer the trial
can run one. As you say, there is no reason a drug company should
spend its shareholders' money on such things, and a university
department would need some reason to suppose there was a benefit.
Contrary anecdata is that chilli pepper (especially Scotch Bonnet) is
very good for stomach problems, respiratory viruses and illness in
general and this is also a solanaceous plant. So I don't believe a word
of it. There is no obvious reason why doctors should tell patients any
old wives' tale that they may have come across, prove it if you want us
to believe it.

--

Roger Hayter

Roger Hayter[_2_] December 23rd 19 01:20 PM

Moss on roof

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

The clue here is in the word "drama". If you have any kind of case (or
indeed if you haven't) it is always possible to find a medical expert
who will condemn the offending doctor. One possible reason for failure
in court is that the doctor did nothing wrong, despite the litigant's
convictions.

[...]

Fashion has actually swung back in favour of red meat recently, I
gather.

--

Roger Hayter

[email protected] December 23rd 19 02:11 PM

Moss on roof

wrote:

[...]

Odd, it's our north-facing roofs that have the moss.

Rod Speed December 23rd 19 02:28 PM

Moss on roof

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

And some are stupid enough to ignore the evidence.

One GP decided that I had pancreatitis even tho there
is a very specific test for that that I had failed. Turned
out to actually be gallstones. My gallstones must have
had some unusual symptoms because it took a number
of doctors including the hospital A&E to work out that
that is what the problem was. An ultrasound eventually
proved that that is what the problem was.

It is amazing, for example, how many drugs originally developed for one
purpose are used 'off label' for other things, in some cases even if they
are deprecated for their original use. There are some, (in) famous
examples.

Yeah, mostly be someone noticing that it does help with
some patients that also have that other medical problem.

Peeler[_4_] December 23rd 19 02:52 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:28 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 01:28:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

01:28 in Australia? And you've been up and trolling for over HALF AN HOUR
already, yet AGAIN! Just HOW clinically insane are you, you senile pest?

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Spike[_6_] December 23rd 19 04:00 PM

Moss on roof

On 23/12/2019 13:20, Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:

It's not for the squeamish, but the BBC drama 'Bodies' on iPlayer
explains why the suing of doctors is rare - summed up as 'doctors look
after doctors, even the bad ones'. The drama doesn't show senior
doctors, and hospital management, in a good light.

The clue here is in the word "drama". If you have any kind of case (or
indeed if you haven't) it is always possible to find a medical expert
who will condemn the offending doctor. One possible reason for failure
in court is that the doctor did nothing wrong, despite the litigant's
convictions.

The clue here is in the words 'did nothing wrong', as other doctors,
knowing that at some time they could well be in the same position, come
out on the side of their colleague.

[...]

I expect XR very soon will be organising a protest about that, probably
over a steak-and-wine dinner...

--
Spike

Spike[_6_] December 23rd 19 04:00 PM

Moss on roof

Chris Hogg wrote:

All Solanaceae are said to promote inflammation - hence the reason to
avoid them if you've got an inflammatory condition such as arthritis.
But it seems difficult to get definitive information about it, I guess
because trials to prove the point would be expensive to run, with no
obvious benefit to the drug industry who would normally fund such
trials. http://tinyurl.com/rmzqm2y

Contrary anecdata is that chilli pepper (especially Scotch Bonnet) is
very good for stomach problems, respiratory viruses and illness in
general and this is also a solanaceous plant.

I thought we were talking about a specific condition rather than
hand-waving 'illness in general'

So I don't believe a word of it.

Until your joints start playing up.

There is no obvious reason why doctors should tell patients any
old wives' tale that they may have come across, prove it if you want us
to believe it.

One can see why people stay away from doctors.

--
Spike

Andrew[_22_] December 23rd 19 04:56 PM

Moss on roof

On 22/12/2019 19:29, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day

Round here it's the crows and rooks that dislodge the moss while
pecking to find insects of some sort.

This is the first year that this has been happening.

Scrap bits of lead flashing bent around the copper wire at
intervals might have had more effect at detering moss.

I use a long extending decorators pole with a garden hoe
connected to end, so I can stand at the top of the ladder
at eaves height and reach most of the roof.

The moss seems to have grown with a vengeance that last
couple of years. The 2018 drought didn't semm to banish
it all.

A south-facing roof should be less badly affected by moss
because it gets the sun, surely ?.

Andrew[_22_] December 23rd 19 04:58 PM

Moss on roof

wrote:

[...]

That's odd. Are you in the Southern hemisphere ?.

Andrew[_22_] December 23rd 19 05:01 PM

Moss on roof

On 23/12/2019 05:10, alan_m wrote:
On 22/12/2019 17:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5
years
ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are
like steel.
I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills
moss,
so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind
and
******** to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss
have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes
time to
work?

Has the copper wire gone green?

That takes ages, and without coal fires maybe never.

The new swimming pool in Worthing is clad with copper
(it's right on the seafront). Started off nice shiny
copper but went dark, dull brown after a couple of months
and that is how it has stayed.

Rod Speed December 23rd 19 06:54 PM

Moss on roof

Spike wrote
Roger Hayter wrote
Spike wrote

It's not for the squeamish, but the BBC drama 'Bodies' on iPlayer
explains why the suing of doctors is rare - summed up as 'doctors
look after doctors, even the bad ones'. The drama doesn't show
senior doctors, and hospital management, in a good light.

The clue here is in the word "drama". If you have any kind of case
(or indeed if you haven't) it is always possible to find a medical expert
who will condemn the offending doctor. One possible reason for failure
in court is that the doctor did nothing wrong, despite the litigant's
convictions.

The clue here is in the words 'did nothing wrong', as other
doctors, knowing that at some time they could well be in
the same position, come out on the side of their colleague.

It isnt what happened here in real life when this one had killed
a number of his patients. Turned out he had already been struck
off back in the USA and our system was too incompetent to work
that out and allowed him to work here until eventually the other
doctors did make it clear how bad he was.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayant_Patel

You lot have had other examples of doctors no longer allowed
to practice, almost entirely due to the evidence of other doctors.

Peeler[_4_] December 23rd 19 07:22 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:36 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for EXACTLY FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 05:54:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

05:54??? And you've been up and trolling since 00:54, i.e. for FIVE
HOURS!!!!!! All night long! Yet AGAIN! Bruahahahahahahaaa!!!!

cretin from Oz:

Roger Hayter[_2_] December 23rd 19 08:08 PM

Moss on roof

Chris Hogg wrote:

All Solanaceae are said to promote inflammation - hence the reason to
avoid them if you've got an inflammatory condition such as arthritis.
But it seems difficult to get definitive information about it, I guess
because trials to prove the point would be expensive to run, with no
obvious benefit to the drug industry who would normally fund such
trials. http://tinyurl.com/rmzqm2y

Contrary anecdata is that chilli pepper (especially Scotch Bonnet) is
very good for stomach problems, respiratory viruses and illness in
general and this is also a solanaceous plant.

I thought we were talking about a specific condition rather than
hand-waving 'illness in general'

I suspect osteoarthritis is probably the final common pathway of a
number of different conditions.

So I don't believe a word of it.

Until your joints start playing up.

There is no obvious reason why doctors should tell patients any
old wives' tale that they may have come across, prove it if you want us
to believe it.

One can see why people stay away from doctors.

Very wise. And I can assure you doctors are generally grateful to most
people who stay away from them. (With the odd exception of people who
really ought not to have stayed away.)

--

Roger Hayter