DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops). (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/64268-petrol-diesel-car-ooops.html)

Steve Hall August 8th 04 04:04 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Folks,

Ive joined the ranks of idiots that accidentally went for the nice
green pump at the petrol station instead of the smelly black one!

Thankfully, I realised DURING filling, so stopped (of course!) and DID
NOT start the engine. So having spoken with a few knowledgeable
friends, I believe I can now just do as much as I can on the "remove
and refill" front.

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove?! I know halfords do oil disposal, but petrol too?? Or
perhaps just my friendly neighbourhood mechanic would take it for a
few quid?

(What REALLY annoys me about this is that my father did the same thing
a few weeks back, and I found it quite funny. I've stopped laughing
now!)

Thoughts and suggestions invited

Cheers

Steve, feeling particularly annoyed with himself.

Ian Stirling August 8th 04 04:18 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Steve Hall wrote:
Folks,

Ive joined the ranks of idiots that accidentally went for the nice
green pump at the petrol station instead of the smelly black one!

Thankfully, I realised DURING filling, so stopped (of course!) and DID
NOT start the engine. So having spoken with a few knowledgeable
friends, I believe I can now just do as much as I can on the "remove
and refill" front.

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove?! I know halfords do oil disposal, but petrol too?? Or
perhaps just my friendly neighbourhood mechanic would take it for a
few quid?

AIUI, if you mix petrol in low volumes (10% or so), there should not
be a problem.
So, you could just buy a large petrol can, and then top up with
the appropriate amount of this and proper diesel as you go.

in2minds August 8th 04 04:45 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Ive joined the ranks of idiots that accidentally went for the nice
green pump at the petrol station instead of the smelly black one!

Thankfully, I realised DURING filling, so stopped (of course!) and DID
NOT start the engine. So having spoken with a few knowledgeable
friends, I believe I can now just do as much as I can on the "remove
and refill" front.

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove?! I know halfords do oil disposal, but petrol too?? Or
perhaps just my friendly neighbourhood mechanic would take it for a
few quid?

(What REALLY annoys me about this is that my father did the same thing
a few weeks back, and I found it quite funny. I've stopped laughing
now!)

Thoughts and suggestions invited

how much petrol did you put in ?

diesel engines will run happily (well, within boundaries) on
petrol/diesel mix as long as there's more diesel
if there's not too much petrol, top it up with diesel and keep topping
it up so the ratio gets weaker fairly quickly then run it nearly dry and
fill up with diesel
that's what I did anyway and it was fine, about £10 was petrol but the
tank held £60 so I just filled it up.
I aint a mechanic so don't take that as gospel, ask a mechanic, but our
car has done 160k miles and is still running sweet as a nut.

Dave Liquorice August 8th 04 04:56 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On 8 Aug 2004 08:04:46 -0700, Steve Hall wrote:

Thankfully, I realised DURING filling, so stopped (of course!)

How much did you put in? Hhow much space for "dilution" with diesel is
there?

A couple of gallons (10l or so) of petrol into an empty tank the
filled with diesel (asuming 10gallon + tank) I don't think would worry
to much when you can squeeze a bit more diesel in do so to dilute it
even more.

Diesels are tough old devices, run on anything from cooking oil up. I
wouldn't thrash or rev the engine to much for a couple of complete
tankfuls though.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

dp August 8th 04 05:19 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove

I had a similar problem in Greece after getting water in the tank. I asked
my landlord if he'd mind me tipping it at the bottom of the garden. "No!
Don't waste it", he said "we can use it on the weeds". Suffice to say that a
short time later we both had singed eyebrows and the couple in the upstairs
flat were woken by "an enormous flash". We did, however, clear some weeds.

_____
www.4vans.com

Mike Mitchell August 8th 04 05:44 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

[...]

I have often thought how easy it would be to confuse the nozzles. As I
get older and more absent-minded I have to make a list when I go
shopping otherwise I invariably come home without an item or two. When
I park the car at the pumps, I mentally use that Japanese train driver
methodology, where the driver makes exaggerated movements with his
hands before actually grasping the levers, so that he concentrates his
mind exactly on the task he needs to be doing at that moment.

Okay, you won't see me on a forecourt actually waving my arms about,
but, like I say, I do consciously look, then look again, at the pump
and the nozzle and the price BEFORE I press the trigger. However, I
can easily see how you could have made this mistake, and I believe the
fuel companies should do more to warn people in some way. For
instance, the type of nozzle for Diesel could be shaped in such a way
that it would not fit on a petrol-driven vehicle, and vice versa.

Another offshoot from my recently expressed idea to make drivers pay
for fuel first, then receive a one-time card to insert into the pump:
If you're asked then whether you want petrol or Diesel, the card they
give you would only work in the designated type of pump.

MM

GB August 8th 04 06:03 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"dp" no@mail wrote in message ...
What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove

I had a similar problem in Greece after getting water in the tank. I asked
my landlord if he'd mind me tipping it at the bottom of the garden. "No!
Don't waste it", he said "we can use it on the weeds". Suffice to say that

short time later we both had singed eyebrows and the couple in the

upstairs
flat were woken by "an enormous flash". We did, however, clear some weeds.

__

If this was petrol, and you are talking about the best part of a tank full,
then I think you are both bloody lunatics, and lucky with it. :-)

Graham Wilson August 8th 04 06:39 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove?! I know halfords do oil disposal, but petrol too?? Or
perhaps just my friendly neighbourhood mechanic would take it for a
few quid?

Just don't do as someone once did at a a petrol station and trying
sucking the contaminated fuel out using the petrol station's car vac.

(:-)

Graham

Harvey Van Sickle August 8th 04 06:49 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On 08 Aug 2004, Mike Mitchell wrote

-snip-

However, I can easily see how you could have made this mistake,
and I believe the fuel companies should do more to warn people in
some way. For instance, the type of nozzle for Diesel could be
shaped in such a way that it would not fit on a petrol-driven
vehicle, and vice versa.

That's what they did in North America when catalytic converters and
non-lead fuel came in (1970s): the pump nozzles were smaller, and the
fuel inlet of the relevant cars was narrowed down with a plate which
blocked you from using the larger (leaded) nozzle.

It seems a simple enough thing to do -- minimal cost.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Dave Liquorice August 8th 04 07:41 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:49:00 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

That's what they did in North America when catalytic converters and
non-lead fuel came in (1970s): the pump nozzles were smaller, and
the fuel inlet of the relevant cars was narrowed down with a plate
which blocked you from using the larger (leaded) nozzle.

Obviously someone highly unobservant or only ever fuels diesels.
Unleaded nozzels over here are also smaller with a restrictor plate in
the filler to stop the larger leaded and diesel nozzels fitting.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice August 8th 04 07:55 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:44:55 +0100, Mike Mitchell wrote:

but, like I say, I do consciously look, then look again, at the pump
and the nozzle and the price BEFORE I press the trigger.

Driving an unleaded petrol drinker I doubt I could get it wrong but I
still check that the pump thinks it is delivering what I expect it to.
Not so bad with just unleaded/diesel pumps but with those ones with
super lo sulphur go faster costs more unleaded and/or diesel its much
more of an issue.

BTW filled up with bog standard BP unleaded at a place that had the
option for super lo sulphur go faster costs more unleaded and my car
is not happy. Lacks power and pinks compared with its the normal diet
of Safeways bog standard unleaded petrol. The cynic in me says the
standard BP stuff is crap to make you buy the expensive stuff...

For instance, the type of nozzle for Diesel could be shaped in such
a way that it would not fit on a petrol-driven vehicle, and vice
versa.

I guess you could make it ovoid or square/triangular (different
diameter is already used for leaded/unleaded) but it would have to
backwardly compatible, which sort of negates any benefit in the short
term.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Rick Dipper August 8th 04 08:48 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

[...]

The manual for my IZUSU 4x4 advised the mixing of petrol into the
diesel at low temperatures.

The easiest way to dispose of petrol is to burn it, but be somewhat
carefull if you try.

Rick

Rick Dipper August 8th 04 08:49 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:56:48 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 8 Aug 2004 08:04:46 -0700, Steve Hall wrote:

Thankfully, I realised DURING filling, so stopped (of course!)

How much did you put in? Hhow much space for "dilution" with diesel is
there?

A couple of gallons (10l or so) of petrol into an empty tank the
filled with diesel (asuming 10gallon + tank) I don't think would worry
to much when you can squeeze a bit more diesel in do so to dilute it
even more.

Diesels are tough old devices, run on anything from cooking oil up.

The is a website to tell you how to get your diesel engine to run on
cooking oil, they will even sell you cooking oil, with road fund duty
paid, so you can do it legally.

Rick Dipper August 8th 04 08:52 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

On 08 Aug 2004, Mike Mitchell wrote

-snip-

However, I can easily see how you could have made this mistake,
and I believe the fuel companies should do more to warn people in
some way. For instance, the type of nozzle for Diesel could be
shaped in such a way that it would not fit on a petrol-driven
vehicle, and vice versa.

That's what they did in North America when catalytic converters and
non-lead fuel came in (1970s): the pump nozzles were smaller, and the
fuel inlet of the relevant cars was narrowed down with a plate which
blocked you from using the larger (leaded) nozzle.

It seems a simple enough thing to do -- minimal cost.

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of the
average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if you
need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

Rick

Dorothy Bradbury August 8th 04 08:58 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

No-one has said what happens if it is mostly petrol :-)

Seen it done on 325td & Peugeot 106 diesel
o Blew the head gasket on the 325td
---- limped in that state back to the dealer as a corp pool car
o Blew the head gasket & smoke pouring out on the 106
---- had to be flat-bedded back to the dealer

Both where *filled* + ran some distance on petrol.
The 106 was eventually found by the police bucking/smoking 3mph.
Policement (Transport, RRover) admitted he'd done the same !

A different nozzle would be A Good Idea :-)
Tanks do have drain plugs, but that's a proper mechanic (re petrol :-)
For just a bit of petrol, dilute it with diesel & limit load on the engine,
I think the oil companies say to also change oil after - vested interest.
--
DB.

Harvey Van Sickle August 8th 04 09:23 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On 08 Aug 2004, Dave Liquorice wrote

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:49:00 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

That's what they did in North America when catalytic converters
and non-lead fuel came in (1970s): the pump nozzles were
smaller, and the fuel inlet of the relevant cars was narrowed
down with a plate which blocked you from using the larger
(leaded) nozzle.

Obviously someone highly unobservant or only ever fuels diesels.

I've fuelled both unleaded and leaded here in the UK -- although
there's no leaded any more (and my local petrol station has even
stopped doing LRP) -- but I've never encountered restrictor plate in a
UK car.

Can't say for diesels -- never fuelled one.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Dave Liquorice August 8th 04 09:52 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:23:50 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

... but I've never encountered restrictor plate in a UK car.

You probably wouldn't notice unless you tried to fill it with
leaded/4*/LRP/diesel. My car has a small orfice, a 10 year old Mondeo,
all cars I've fuelled that are fitted with a CAT have one. One way to
kill a CAT is to feed it lead, a *very* expensive mistake.

Can't say for diesels -- never fuelled one.

AFAIK diesels have the standard leaded/4*/LRP/diesel orifice of about
1" dia. Unleaded nozzle/orifice is around 3/4" dia.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

ARWadsworth August 8th 04 10:23 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Another offshoot from my recently expressed idea to make drivers pay
for fuel first, then receive a one-time card to insert into the pump:
If you're asked then whether you want petrol or Diesel, the card they
give you would only work in the designated type of pump.

Would it be wife proof. She put unleaded in my diesel as it was cheaper.

Adam

dp August 8th 04 11:26 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

short time later we both had singed eyebrows and the couple in the

upstairs
flat were woken by "an enormous flash". We did, however, clear some

weeds.

__

If this was petrol, and you are talking about the best part of a tank

full,
then I think you are both bloody lunatics, and lucky with it. :-)

I've got it sussed now - I'm driving a diesel.

G&M August 8th 04 11:34 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"Steve Hall" wrote in message
om...
Folks,

Ive joined the ranks of idiots that accidentally went for the nice
green pump at the petrol station instead of the smelly black one!

Of course one could ask why you bought a car using truck fuel in the first
place.

The Natural Philosopher August 9th 04 12:17 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

Rick Dipper wrote:

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of the
average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if you
need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

That's more to do with a litigation cultire.

Rick

Terry August 9th 04 01:31 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
The general ability of the average americian is well below that of the
average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if you
need any convincing about the ..... corectness ...... of my statement.

Rick

The 'correctness' of that statement I doubt. Some of the best documentation
is US. Problem is often with something translated from Japanese/Taiwanese
etc.
So I jump to defence of our American cousins, who are currently complaining
about the high cost of gasoline at around $1.80 US per US gallon! (That's
roughly 30 New Pence per litre). Here (Eastern Canada) we are currently
paying the equivalent of about 37 New Pence per litre. It's less in central
Canada.
In Qatar where my son is, it costs the equivalent of 18 Canadian cents per
litre; roughly 8 pence, having risen from 16 Can. cents per litre in
January! And no sales taxes.
I attribute the lack of devices in the UK to discourage the use of the wrong
type of fuel to the general UK backwardness/slowness to adopt anything new;
especially if it was devised/introduced elsewhere!
And, gee, gosh darned it, you SHOULD be careful since your fuel costs so
much more than elsewhere. Just as well distances in the UK are so much less!
In year 2000 it cost about $200 Canadian for two of us to go the couple of
hundred miles from Farnborough to Liverpool and back, in a small 4 cylinder
car! And the country is almost flat!
Here, that's my fuel bill for a month!
BTW some 30 years back we had a VW diesel rabbit; it's handbook recommended
the addition of a certain percentage of gasoline to diesel fuel to aid
starting in very cold weather such as encountered in other parts of north
America.
Per the OP what I'd do is drain off some of the petrol/diesel mix in the
tank now; and keep diluting the tank with more and more diesel. Over time
chuck the gasoline diluted stuff back in a bit at a time until it's used up.
Canuck. Ex Liverpudlian.

Mike Mitchell August 9th 04 06:52 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

[...]

I suppose you could always insert a card in the newsagents, asking if
any local murderers have a body they want to dispose of...

But those ruddy cards cost a fortune nowadays.

MM

Dave Liquorice August 9th 04 09:16 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of
the average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

That's more to do with a litigation cultire.

But if the American had some common sense makers wouldn't need to
spell out in words of one syllable what you shouldn't use a particular
device for. The "it must be safe because I haven't be told it isn't"
attitude is the first step to getting a Darwin Award.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

SteveS August 9th 04 01:24 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"Rick Dipper" wrote

Singapore is the total opposite, you are not allowed to do it, unless
the government has said you can .......

As a Dutch colleague said to me:

Germany: It's forbidden unless it's permitted.
England: It's permitted unless it's forbidden.
Italy: It's permitted *especially* if it's forbidden.

Steve S

MBQ August 9th 04 02:53 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of
the average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

That's more to do with a litigation cultire.

But if the American had some common sense makers wouldn't need to
spell out in words of one syllable what you shouldn't use a particular
device for. The "it must be safe because I haven't be told it isn't"
attitude is the first step to getting a Darwin Award.

Or the british woman who ignored the warning not to mix pool cleaning
chemicals in the same bucket:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...09/ixhome.html

"she accepts she did not correctly follow the instructions - which
state that the chemicals should not be mixed in the same container -
she says the labelling did not warn of the possibility of an
explosion"

Sorry, but I have no sympathy.

MBQ

Ian Stirling August 9th 04 06:26 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

[...]

And tend to get a poor response, not to mention many newsagents being
reluctant to offer this, as it's very uncomfortable.

Jimbo August 9th 04 06:33 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

ill.com...
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of
the average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

JUST HAD TO STICK THIS IN AT THIS POINT. DOES YOUR COMMENT ABOVE EXPLAIN WHY
THE YANKS HAVE THE STRONGEST ECONOMY, LOWEST TAXES AND CHEAPEST LUXURY LIFE
STYLE IN THEY WORLD.

IMM August 9th 04 06:59 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

ill.com...
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian
is well below that of the average britisher,
just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness
of my statement.

JUST HAD TO STICK THIS IN AT THIS
POINT. DOES YOUR COMMENT ABOVE
EXPLAIN WHY THE YANKS HAVE THE
STRONGEST ECONOMY, LOWEST TAXES
AND CHEAPEST LUXURY LIFE
STYLE IN THEY WORLD.

The US exceeds the British on these points because of land, yes land.
Sounds bizarre, but true. We, 60 million of us, are all rammed into just
above 7% of the land mass. This creates an artificial land shortage ramping
up land prices to the point were 2/3 of the value of the average home id the
land value. Ludicrous. The hype about consumer debt omits that 80% of this
debt is mortgage to out a small poorly built roof over ours heads.

free land availability:
means - lower land prices,
means - cheaper commercial rents,
means - more competitive in the world market place
means - cheaper and larger homes.
menas - the wife would not have to work to help pay the mortgage and be at
home
means - less delinquency because of the latch-key kids.

The UK could easily be the world's No. 1 in standard of living and quality
of life if we dropped the Medieval land/planning system we have.

tony sayer August 9th 04 07:22 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

In article , IMM writes

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
[...]

He's right..for once....
--
Tony Sayer

Graham Wilson August 9th 04 07:53 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

What I have yet to find out is, how / where can I dispose of the evil
petrol I remove?! I know halfords do oil disposal, but petrol too?? Or
perhaps just my friendly neighbourhood mechanic would take it for a
few quid?

A few years ago, there was a chap on TV who owned a second world war
tank. Apparently, it would run on all sorts of fuel. One of the
vehicle recovery services used to pass on contaminated fuel that they
would drain from vehicles to run the tank.

Graham

Graham Wilson August 9th 04 08:00 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 06:52:45 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

I suppose you could always insert a card in the newsagents, asking if
any local murderers have a body they want to dispose of...

Crematoriums work at 1,000 degrees C. If you can get a bonfire upto
that temperature then that's impressive.

Graham

Andy Hall August 9th 04 08:22 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:01:39 GMT, Rick Dipper
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:33:45 +0000 (UTC), "Jimbo"
(remove $ ) wrote:

"MBQ" wrote in message
.com...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

whill.com...
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of
the average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

JUST HAD TO STICK THIS IN AT THIS POINT. DOES YOUR COMMENT ABOVE EXPLAIN WHY
THE YANKS HAVE THE STRONGEST ECONOMY, LOWEST TAXES AND CHEAPEST LUXURY LIFE
STYLE IN THEY WORLD.

YANKS are southern americians, northerners are insulted by the term.

Rick

Ummmm.. Other way round I think......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM August 9th 04 11:53 PM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM writes

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.com...
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian
is well below that of the average britisher,
just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness
of my statement.

JUST HAD TO STICK THIS IN AT THIS
POINT. DOES YOUR COMMENT ABOVE
EXPLAIN WHY THE YANKS HAVE THE
STRONGEST ECONOMY, LOWEST TAXES
AND CHEAPEST LUXURY LIFE
STYLE IN THEY WORLD.

The US exceeds the British on these points because of land, yes land.
Sounds bizarre, but true. We, 60 million of us, are all rammed into just
above 7% of the land mass. This creates an artificial land shortage

ramping
up land prices to the point were 2/3 of the value of the average home is

the
land value. Ludicrous. The hype about consumer debt omits that 80% of

this
debt is mortgage to put a small poorly built roof over ours heads.

free land availability:
means - lower land prices,
means - cheaper commercial rents,
means - more competitive in the world market place
means - cheaper and larger homes.
menas - the wife would not have to work to help pay the mortgage and be

at
home
means - less delinquency because of the latch-key kids.

The UK could easily be the world's No. 1 in standard of living and

quality
of life if we dropped the Medieval land/planning system we have.

He's right..for once....

Always right.
Kevin Cahill is working on his website, so far from fully finished. He has
put all the land data for each county up though.
http://www.hyperborea.plus.com/wobi/

IMM August 10th 04 12:06 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of the
average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if you
need any convincing about the ..... corectness ...... of my statement.

Rick

The 'correctness' of that statement I doubt.
Some of the best documentation
is US.

Totally correct. The US write simple clear English. I always use the US
book Elements of Style of English by Strunck & White. The only way to write
English.

They also think clearer when forming sentences in their head to speak. Look
at the average American being interviewed on TV. First time on TV and they
sound as if they are seasoned presenters.

I attribute the lack of devices in the UK to discourage the use of the

wrong
type of fuel to the general UK backwardness/slowness to adopt anything

new;

The Brits are weary of anything new that has not been tried. Modern, poorly
designed and built flats and houses were built in the 1950-60s, so anything
new, or new looking, is regarded with suspicion. Although they are fed
propaganda to keep the old and reject the new in housing, and that our
countryside is sacrosanct and beautiful, which it isn't for 90% of it. All
to do with vested landed interest.

They are not techophobic, with at one time having more PCs per head than any
other country in the world.

The Natural Philosopher August 10th 04 12:18 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

IMM wrote:

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message

"MBQ" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Actually the real reason is obvious when you go there.

We mined and farmed and bred whilst Indians were just whooping and
hollering.

We are stuck with bugger all natural resources, whilst the colonists
went over and stole the land, and are busy mining and farming and breeding.

Ecventually the resources will be exahusted, the country will be
overpopulated and polluted, and then it will be just as miserable as
anywhere else. More miserable, because at least we have a system with
dealing with the social issues that arise, but Merkins don't have any
system apart from crash burn pillage shoot steal and rape.

free land availability:
means - lower land prices,
means - cheaper commercial rents,
means - more competitive in the world market place
means - cheaper and larger homes.
menas - the wife would not have to work to help pay the mortgage and be at
home
means - less delinquency because of the latch-key kids.

The UK could easily be the world's No. 1 in standard of living and quality
of life if we dropped the Medieval land/planning system we have.

Zero to do with it.

The Natural Philosopher August 10th 04 12:19 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

wrote:

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:33:45 +0000 (UTC), "Jimbo"
(remove $ ) wrote:

"MBQ" wrote in message
e.com...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

owhill.com...

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:17:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The general ability of the average americian is well below that of
the average britisher, just look at an americian chansaw manual if
you need any convincing about the corectness of my statement.

JUST HAD TO STICK THIS IN AT THIS POINT. DOES YOUR COMMENT ABOVE EXPLAIN WHY
THE YANKS HAVE THE STRONGEST ECONOMY, LOWEST TAXES AND CHEAPEST LUXURY LIFE
STYLE IN THEY WORLD.

YANKS are southern americians, northerners are insulted by the term.

Rick

Ummmm.. Other way round I think......

Yup. Rebels are the southerners. Or confederates. Or is it Dixie landers.

The Natural Philosopher August 10th 04 12:21 AM

Petrol in a Diesel car (ooops).

IMM wrote:

The Brits are weary of anything new that has not been tried.

But at lest they know how to spell.

How can you be weary of anything you haven't tried?

I am really weary of you tho. **** off, there's a good chap.