Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Norbert Dentressangle

I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Always used to make me chuckle. Memorable, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 13:58:34 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Always used to make me chuckle. Memorable, too.

I was amused how long it took Jim'll mix it cement company took to rename themselves. It a shame clueless ****wits were the reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Some trucks used to be Christian Salvesen, who for some reason had a
generator hire company, called Aggreko, which is now a standalone
company, still based in Glasgow, I think.

I think an array of big blue containers were all clustered together
at the Olympic Park during London2012 to supply backup power, should
it be needed. These were Aggreko.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 14:13, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:38:22 +0000, John wrote:

I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

On a related note, SWMBO read something about Eddie Stobart being on the
rocks recently ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...eddie-stobart/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Moi aussi
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Counting Norberts was something we did to while away a motorway or
autoroute journey. The XPO trucks are nowhere near as noticeable.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Some trucks used to be Christian Salvesen, who for some reason had a
generator hire company, called Aggreko, which is now a standalone
company, still based in Glasgow, I think.

Christian Salveson used originally to operate a whaling fleet. They
diversified. The haulage company was bought by Norbert Dentrissagle in
2007.

The large numbers of penguins at Edinburgh Zoo is a as a resultb of the
whaling crews taking penguins as pets on their travels and not being able
to keep them when they got home.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:58:26 +0000, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Always used to make me chuckle. Memorable, too.

Sort of French equivalent to Eddie Stobart. I always managed to forget how
to pronounce the 'memorable' name within a minute of seeing one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:13:27 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:38:22 +0000, John wrote:

I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

On a related note, SWMBO read something about Eddie Stobart being on the
rocks recently ?

Seems to be since it became Deaddie Stobart.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 16:42:48 UTC, nightjar wrote:
Counting Norberts was something we did to while away a motorway or
autoroute journey. The XPO trucks are nowhere near as noticeable.

I used to count the number of times father said "bloody".

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:38:22 +0000, John wrote:

I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Yes, we were always seeing 'Norberts' going along the M2. I hadn't
noticed they'd disappeared!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably found nobody could remember it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.222...
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 15:22, Andrew wrote:
On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Some trucks used to be Christian Salvesen, who for some reason had a
generator hire company, called Aggreko, which is now a standalone
company, still based in Glasgow, I think.

I think an array of big blue containers were all clustered together
at the Olympic Park during London2012 to supply backup power, should
it be needed. These were Aggreko.

They seem to use white or grey now and it used to be orange with a brown
base back in the '90s.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

My little car's been through the mangle
It was bashed by Dentressangle

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 22:14:03 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
My little car's been through the mangle
It was bashed by Dentressangle

The wing mirror's now a missing part
It got sideswiped by E. Stobart

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 5:09:58 PM UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 21/11/2019 13:38, John wrote:
I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some
Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Some trucks used to be Christian Salvesen, who for some reason had a
generator hire company, called Aggreko, which is now a standalone
company, still based in Glasgow, I think.

Christian Salveson used originally to operate a whaling fleet. They
diversified. The haulage company was bought by Norbert Dentrissagle in
2007.

The large numbers of penguins at Edinburgh Zoo is a as a resultb of the
whaling crews taking penguins as pets on their travels and not being able
to keep them when they got home.

Oddly enough, I was just thinking recently that I hadn't seen their lorries recently. I have seen Dentressangle occasionally referred to as Deathstrangle.

Christian Salvesen, despite the name, were a Scottish company based in Leith. I remember my dad telling me that and not quite believing him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always liked the late Terry Wogan's name for them - Norbert Disentangle.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

SWMBO read something about Eddie Stobart being on the
rocks recently ?

Seems to be since it became Deaddie Stobart.

I think he retired, rather than died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:

can anyone positively confirm the 'Stobart' is pronounced
'Stobbart', and not 'Stowbart'?

Their own corporate video pronounces it 'stow'

https://vimeo.com/325701626
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

can anyone positively confirm the 'Stobart' is pronounced
'Stobbart', and not 'Stowbart'?

Their own corporate video pronounces it 'stow'

https://vimeo.com/325701626

It's probably a north/south accent variation.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2019 13:57, Andy Burns wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

SWMBO read something about Eddie Stobart being on the
rocks recently ?

Seems to be since it became Deaddie Stobart.

I think he retired, rather than died.

Eddie Stobart died when he was in his 50's but his
brother kept the trucking side going.

They seem to have diverged into two companies, one
running heavy haulage and the other doing rail
maintenance, biomass and running Southend airport.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Eddie Stobart died when he was in his 50's but his
brother kept the trucking side going.

They seem to have diverged into two companies, one
running heavy haulage and the other doing rail
maintenance, biomass and running Southend airport.

So is wikip shudder/ wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Eddie Stobart died when he was in his 50's but his
brother kept the trucking side going.

They seem to have diverged into two companies, one
running heavy haulage and the other doing rail
maintenance, biomass and running Southend airport.

So is wikip shudder/ wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Stobart

seems to say it was the son who died, not the father ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

As a second aside, how should you pronounce 'Dentressangle'?

I would guess 'Dontre-songle', with the emphasis on the first
syllable

I'll buy that one!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

can anyone positively confirm the 'Stobart' is pronounced 'Stobbart',
and not 'Stowbart'?

Their own corporate video pronounces it 'stow'

https://vimeo.com/325701626

True (five times). As I said, the TV documentary also used 'Stowbart',
but I'm sure that in the radio interview (which I'm sure I heard), one
of the family frequently referred to 'Stobbart'. I remember this because
I used to work near an ES depot, and used to see dozens of lorries each
day. I mentally used to read 'Stowbart' - until I heard the radio
programme. Maybe they've simply adopted a policy of 'If you can't beat
'em, join 'em'.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

can anyone positively confirm the 'Stobart' is pronounced
'Stobbart', and not 'Stowbart'?

Their own corporate video pronounces it 'stow'

https://vimeo.com/325701626

It's probably a north/south accent variation.

Similarly, it seems that Colin Powell, the Mercadian 4* general
and former US Secretary of State prefers "Collin" rather than
"Coe-lin", but decided not to swim against the media tide.

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon doesn't care about the fnords anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:23:03 +0000, Sn!pe wrote:

charles wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

can anyone positively confirm the 'Stobart' is pronounced
'Stobbart', and not 'Stowbart'?

Their own corporate video pronounces it 'stow'

https://vimeo.com/325701626

It's probably a north/south accent variation.

Similarly, it seems that Colin Powell, the Mercadian 4* general and
former US Secretary of State prefers "Collin" rather than "Coe-lin", but
decided not to swim against the media tide.

Would that be "Coe-lin Pole"?