Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stixall adhesive

I'm using Stixall to secure/seal some PVC cladding.

Couple of points Google hasn't helped with.... low temperature use and
is it OK for use on the cladding fill material as I am having to machine
joints.

Temperature forecast here tomorrow around 5 deg. C!
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use Stixall outside quite a lot. It holds a variety of materials firmly
and immovably together even in freezing weather, but in my experience never
sets completely hard.

It's far and away the best of of its type that I've ever used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 19:40:02 -0000, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

I use Stixall outside quite a lot. It holds a variety of materials firmly
and immovably together even in freezing weather, but in my experience never
sets completely hard.

It's far and away the best of of its type that I've ever used.

I haven't used Stixall but have used Gripfill (full fat) quite a lot
and love it.

A test I've used in the past is 'how easy is it to get off tools and
fingers' and with Gripfill the answer is 'near impossible'. ;-)

When building the workshop I Gripfilled 6" lengths of 6x2 sawn wooden
blocks to the insides of the cast panels that made up the walls (top
middle and bottom). Then I hung 8 x 4 sheets of 1/2" ply to that and
have since hung slotted upright / racking to them (through the ply and
into said blocks). All seem to still be there 20+ years later. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

I use Stixall outside quite a lot. It holds a variety of materials firmly
and immovably together even in freezing weather, but in my experience never
sets completely hard.

It's far and away the best of of its type that I've ever used.

I haven't used Stixall but have used Gripfill (full fat) quite a lot
and love it.

A test I've used in the past is 'how easy is it to get off tools and
fingers' and with Gripfill the answer is 'near impossible'. ;-)

When building the workshop I Gripfilled 6" lengths of 6x2 sawn wooden
blocks to the insides of the cast panels that made up the walls (top
middle and bottom). Then I hung 8 x 4 sheets of 1/2" ply to that and
have since hung slotted upright / racking to them (through the ply and
into said blocks). All seem to still be there 20+ years later. ;-)

Well it seems reassuringly firm after setting off overnight. I'll get on
and finish the job today.

I am a bit nervous of tube fixatives after reading the threatening
disclaimer that came with my shower panels and their supplied materials!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is it based on, if its so good.how come I've never heard of it?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
I use Stixall outside quite a lot. It holds a variety of materials firmly
and immovably together even in freezing weather, but in my experience never
sets completely hard.

It's far and away the best of of its type that I've ever used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 09:09:45 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it will be fine. JOOI, what I tend to do (for my own
satisfaction if nothing else) is to test a sample of whatever I want
to bond to destruction. The ultimate result being the surrounding
material fails before the bond does.

I'll get on
and finish the job today.

Good luck.

I am a bit nervous of tube fixatives after reading the threatening
disclaimer that came with my shower panels and their supplied materials!

Yeah, I think Gripfill (full fat, not the water based one) says it's
not waterproof so not to be used in *exposed* external applications.

If doing that, I think I'd use CT1, another example of incredible
stuff [1].

Cheers, T i m

[1] Given un repairable washing machine (13 months old) with
ultrasonically welded tub so main bearings couldn't be replaced. I cut
the (un-glue able plastic) tub in half round it's seam, replaced the
bearing and bolted / CT1'd it back together again.

7 years later the bearings failed again but the CT1'd seam never
leaked a drop (not bad considering the conditions in a WM).

https://www.ct1.com/our-products/ct1/

FWIW, the dagger board casing of my Seahopper folding boat is fitted
(in the boatyard) to the (flexing) hull using CT1. Given it's always
under the waterline it's good to know they use some good gear. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

What is it based on...

According to the label, "STIXALL, based on hybrid polymer technology..."

There is also a long and complex chemical breakdown of its constituents,
which I hope you'll forgive me for not transcribing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Modified Silicone

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
What is it based on, if its so good.how come I've never heard of it?
Brian

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Technical details (though not the complete chemical breakdown found on the
actual product) are he

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-conte...IXALL-V1.1.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And a more detailed listing of constituents is he

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-conte...White-V1.3.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bert
Coules writes
And a more detailed listing of constituents is he

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-conte...rbuild-Stixall
-White-V1.3.pdf

A safe temperature range is given elsewhere but I searched for
limitations at time of use. Perhaps there aren't any:-)

Worked OK overnight so 2 or 3 C not a problem. As you say it is not
brittle hard.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim,

I was surprised to see that the clear version has less tolerance to high
temperatures than the others. Perhaps the pigment shields the heat .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very informative, thanks. Seems a little too good to be true and reminds me
very much of a dow corning product you used to be able to get called
Urethane bond. That was stickier than some very sticky stuff indeed. Best be
sure you did it right first time!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Technical details (though not the complete chemical breakdown found on the
actual product) are he

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/wp-conte...IXALL-V1.1.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian,

Stixall isn't one-chance-only instant-grab: it remains workable for a
decent length of time. And once completely set a bond can be broken but it
takes a great deal of effort.

It's also splendidly easy to handle. As a misjudged economy measure on a
recent job I tried a cheaper alternative: I regretted it the moment I
started working with it.