Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WR1 wireless thermostat upgrade

I have a WR1 wireless thermostat, it's fine but doesn't control the
timing. The central heating has a programmable timer, it's fine but
doesn't control the temperature. These are in different places.

I want the house to not freeze while we're on holiday, and to warm up
before we return. It seems the obvious way would be to replace the
thermostat with something programmable. Is there such a thing which is
compatible with the receiver? I don't want remote controlled internet
stuff.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote in news:qqbqjq$vch$1@dont-
email.me:

WR1 wireless thermosta

It's a rebadged Drayton Digistat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote in news:qqbqjq$vch$1@dont-
email.me:

WR1 wireless thermosta

Your approach is good - I have one with "Holiday Mode" - Set number of days
on holiday and min temp for house (default is 7 - I set it to 17!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 14:18, Clive Arthur wrote:
I have a WR1 wireless thermostat, it's fine but doesn't control the
timing.Â* The central heating has a programmable timer, it's fine but
doesn't control the temperature.Â* These are in different places.

I want the house to not freeze while we're on holiday, and to warm up
before we return.Â* It seems the obvious way would be to replace the
thermostat with something programmable.Â* Is there such a thing which is
compatible with the receiver?Â* I don't want remote controlled internet
stuff.

You have not mentioned what type of boiler it is (i.e. combi or not). If
its a combi, then a programmable stat will do what you want. They
normally let you specify a number of time zones, and then usually a
target temperature for each - so they replace the function of both
programmer and stat.

If you also have a hot water cylinder however, you may still need the
programmer to schedule heating periods for that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 17:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/11/2019 14:18, Clive Arthur wrote:
I have a WR1 wireless thermostat, it's fine but doesn't control the
timing.Â* The central heating has a programmable timer, it's fine but
doesn't control the temperature.Â* These are in different places.

I want the house to not freeze while we're on holiday, and to warm up
before we return.Â* It seems the obvious way would be to replace the
thermostat with something programmable.Â* Is there such a thing which
is compatible with the receiver?Â* I don't want remote controlled
internet stuff.

You have not mentioned what type of boiler it is (i.e. combi or not).

It's not a combi, it's a pressurised hot water system, but that makes no
difference really, it's the same type of controller.

If
its a combi, then a programmable stat will do what you want. They
normally let you specify a number of time zones, and then usually a
target temperature for each - so they replace the function of both
programmer and stat.

The only one I've seen so far has a repeating weekly cycle, so no good
for a longer absence.

If you also have a hot water cylinder however, you may still need the
programmer to schedule heating periods for that.

Hot water can stay off, it heats up fairly quickly with our 32kW boiler,
but the house doesn't.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 17:10, John wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote in news:qqbqjq$vch$1@dont-
email.me:

WR1 wireless thermosta

Your approach is good - I have one with "Holiday Mode" - Set number of days
on holiday and min temp for house (default is 7 - I set it to 17!)

Is that a British Gas RC Plus? If so, looks like that would do it.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote in
:

On 11/11/2019 17:10, John wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote in
news:qqbqjq$vch$1@dont- email.me:

WR1 wireless thermosta

Your approach is good - I have one with "Holiday Mode" - Set number
of days on holiday and min temp for house (default is 7 - I set it to
17!)

Is that a British Gas RC Plus? If so, looks like that would do it.

Cheers

Check out Drayton Digistat - and ask the makers if they are compatable with
the receiver of the WR1