Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Indoor Amplifier no longer working

I have a Vision V52-100 amplifier (14db - 26db UHF, 0db - 16db VHF + FM) in my
loft and over the past few weeks I have had issues with my TV signal for
certain channels. After further investigation I have taken the top off the
internal amplifier and noticed some blackened areas around some components.
When I connect the aerial cable direct to the TV I am still not getting a good
signal, so I am assuming that I need some sort of amplifier. I have checked
the Vision website and they no longer list it. Can anyone help with what would
be a suitable replacement for this amp?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...g-1391237-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2019 11:44, Ashley wrote:
I have a Vision V52-100 amplifier (14db - 26db UHF, 0db - 16db VHF + FM)
in my
loft and over the past few weeks I have had issues with my TV signal for
certain channels. After further investigation I have taken the top off the
internal amplifier and noticed some blackened areas around some components.
When I connect the aerial cable direct to the TV I am still not getting
a good
signal, so I am assuming that I need some sort of amplifier. I have checked
the Vision website and they no longer list it. Can anyone help with what
would
be a suitable replacement for this amp?

Labgear do great boosters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-LDA.../dp/B078SZ83FF

will take inputs from TV and VHF, boost them ten dB and drive four
outputs all for £20. Not worth repairing old kit.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 11:44:02 +0000, Ashley wrote:

I have a Vision V52-100 amplifier (14db - 26db UHF, 0db - 16db VHF + FM)
in my loft and over the past few weeks I have had issues with my TV
signal for certain channels. After further investigation I have taken
the top off the internal amplifier and noticed some blackened areas
around some components. When I connect the aerial cable direct to the TV
I am still not getting a good signal, so I am assuming that I need some
sort of amplifier. I have checked the Vision website and they no longer
list it. Can anyone help with what would be a suitable replacement for
this amp?

Cross posted to a useful forum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu 31/10/2019 15:09, David wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 11:44:02 +0000, Ashley wrote:

I have a Vision V52-100 amplifier (14db - 26db UHF, 0db - 16db VHF + FM)
in my loft and over the past few weeks I have had issues with my TV
signal for certain channels. After further investigation I have taken
the top off the internal amplifier and noticed some blackened areas
around some components. When I connect the aerial cable direct to the TV
I am still not getting a good signal, so I am assuming that I need some
sort of amplifier. I have checked the Vision website and they no longer
list it. Can anyone help with what would be a suitable replacement for
this amp?

Cross posted to a useful forum.

Look at www.blake-uk.com (who are in Sheffield) or
www.fringeelectronics.co.uk who are at Clipstone near Mansfield. They
both make good and reliable products, the former under the ProCeption
brand which you can also buy from Toolstation.

The fact that you say you are not getting a good signal without the amp
suggests some other fault which may or may not be signal level related.
It would be useful to know roughly where you are located, the type of
aerial in use, the location of your current amp (is it masthead/in the
loft/setback?), how long the cable run is to the amp and from the amp to
TV, and finally which transmitter(s) you are using.

Two useful sites you can look at:-
www.wolfbane.com will, from your postcode or map ref, tell you which
transmitters are available at your location and the approx signal
strength. The last column about aerial type can be ignored - it is
notoriously pessimistic.
www.macfh.co.uk, click on index, and then select the line about
terrestrial TV aerial alignment in section 2. It is straightforward to
use but it has the advantage over any other site of this type that it
shows you the signal path on Google Maps, on an OS map, and it shows the
signal path profile. You can enlarge the Google map, then go to
satellite view and move the lollipop to the exact position of your aerial.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

probably water in the downlead to the loft. I remember having a labgear
distribution amp and it looked a bit discoloured on the pcb near the diodes
and transformer, but it was a really good unit. It only needed a capacitor
to make it work correctly. Trouble is the modern stuff uses el cheapo bits.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 31/10/2019 20:16, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Of course a bit of discolouration does not mean its not working. Your aerial
down lead could have water in it, especially with recent weather.

On the other hand, it depends on whether the discolouration is also
capable of changing resistance or capacitance, and if so, whether it
affects the functioning of the unit.

I have an old PVR which I don't currently use apart from playing back
old recordings. There is a PCB inside (unfortunately buried under the
disc drive and another PCB so it is not an easy dismantle) which
collects discolouration, and when it gets fairly dark the clock no
longer functions when the machine is in standby, so I can't use it for
timed recordings any more until I take it apart (again!) and clean off
the discolouration with isopropyl alcohol. Once cleaned and dried and
reassembled it will work properly again for some time. Then the clock
function becomes erratic before stopping completely in standby and I
have to repeat the cleaning process once more.

In David's position, I would be be inclined to thoroughly clean off the
blackened areas in the amplifier and see if that restores proper
functionality.

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu 31/10/2019 22:22, Indy Jess John wrote:
[...]

More likely the problem with your machine Jim given its age and where
the board is located is that the larger electrolytic capacitors on the
board (and possibly on the PSU board) are drying out. Removing the board
and cleaning it gives the caps a while to slightly regenerate so it will
work for a while when you put it back.

Akai FM tuners were notorious for the same sort of problem - actually
the display going dimmer and dimmer until it blacked out - such that the
manufacturer actually offered a repair kit of a small bag of the
necessary capacitors (5 from memory) for the PSU card that needed to be
changed. Chances are all of the caps needed changing but the only ones
that affected operation (and were 'visible' to the user) were those
affecting the front panel display.