Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator bleed valve keys - Brass/Zinc or other

I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

I think all the ones I've broken over the years have been zinc, I'd pick
either of the brass type that Wickes show, don't think I've managed to
break either of those

https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=brass+radiator+key
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

Brass with a large finger grip (if they will fit).

https://tinyurl.com/yy25crpd

If you have a 1/4 inch ratchet/socket set you may find that one of the
hex sockets fits over the square radiator plug and the raatchet handle
gives a lot more leverage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 19:36:59 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

In order of strength:
steel, brass, zinc & such alloys, plastic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

Maybe you need one of these?

Rear Access Radiator Vent Bleed Key Tommy Bar
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0182OUQ..._uOlSDbJNEBJ0M

Personally I would grind/file the open face flatter to improve the grip on
the bleed valve. The actual square socket seems to be quite deeply
recessed.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

I have a brass one with "wings", they don't hurt my fingers like the
smaller ones do.

In the past I have snapped the head off a stiff vent screw and had to
replace the radiator. I was probably using pliers to increase leverage,
but it is something to think about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 20:05:52 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

Brass with a large finger grip (if they will fit).

https://tinyurl.com/yy25crpd

If you have a 1/4 inch ratchet/socket set you may find that one of the
hex sockets fits over the square radiator plug and the raatchet handle
gives a lot more leverage.

What square radiator plug?

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/yy25crpd

If you have a 1/4 inch ratchet/socket set you may find that one of the
hex sockets fits over the square radiator plug and the raatchet handle
gives a lot more leverage.

What square radiator plug?

so what is the fitting?

If it's a slot then a screwdriver bit in a 1/4 inch ratchet handle or a
right angled screwdriver
If a hex shaped hole then a cut down hex/allen key with a socket/ratchet
or just the hex key

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

A decent tight fitting socket from a small socket set. Made of tool steel
rather than chocolate.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws. All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for? Draper Zinc?

We had one like that (siezed bleed screw, positioned at the back).
It was only an inch or so from the wall and impossible to get anything
other than a key on to, so the rad would have to come off the wall one
way or another.

The rad was a bit rusty anyway, just a single panel, and Toolstation
were selling brand new double-panel radiators for under £10 (and still
are), I just replaced the whole thing.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 18:10, Tim+ wrote:

Ive never understood why so many of the brass keys in particular have the
socket countersunk (thus reducing the contact area).

Possibly it helps with manufacture in that the cheap brass item doesn't
need extra manufacturing processes.

It probably helps locating the key on the valve especially is there is
any rust or the valve has been slightly mangled with pliers etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 11:42, Pancho wrote:
On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a couple of awkward bleed screws.Â* All the screws are direct
into the back of the radiator so not easy to get at and I've fractured
a couple of cheapo keys.

As a last resort I'd like to get a stronger key - what should I go
for?Â* Draper Zinc?

I have a brass one with "wings", they don't hurt my fingers like the
smaller ones do.

In the past I have snapped the head off a stiff vent screw and had to
replace the radiator. I was probably using pliers to increase leverage,
but it is something to think about.

I must admit, I prefer the ones with the bleed valves on the ends.
Easier to access and you can change the whole bleed valve if the needle
gets stuck.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have never come across a bleed valve that goes all the way in until
the head is against the radiator. They normally have a pointy bit that
seals on the end and making contact with the head would stop them
working. Therefore a small chamfer makes bugger all difference to
contact area and does make them easier to make and use.

Removing the chamfer increases the chance of all the square being in
contact and not twisting the end off or ruining the key.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/yy25crpd

If you have a 1/4 inch ratchet/socket set you may find that one of the
hex sockets fits over the square radiator plug and the raatchet handle
gives a lot more leverage.

What square radiator plug?

so what is the fitting?

If it's a slot then a screwdriver bit in a 1/4 inch ratchet handle or a
right angled screwdriver
If a hex shaped hole then a cut down hex/allen key with a socket/ratchet
or just the hex key

It's as per photo at:

https://flic.kr/p/2hAcV3x

The photo is the front facing bleed valve from one of two double rads
and so I can easily get to these. All the other rads have the bleed
screw facing the wall so I have ~2" to work in.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 23/10/2019 19:36, AnthonyL wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/yy25crpd

If you have a 1/4 inch ratchet/socket set you may find that one of the
hex sockets fits over the square radiator plug and the raatchet handle
gives a lot more leverage.

What square radiator plug?

so what is the fitting?

If it's a slot then a screwdriver bit in a 1/4 inch ratchet handle or a
right angled screwdriver
If a hex shaped hole then a cut down hex/allen key with a socket/ratchet
or just the hex key

It's as per photo at:

https://flic.kr/p/2hAcV3x

The photo is the front facing bleed valve from one of two double rads
and so I can easily get to these. All the other rads have the bleed
screw facing the wall so I have ~2" to work in.

But that *is* a square radiator plug/bleed valve. I wouldnt use a hex
socket on it though. Too much chance of rounding it off. The key I posted a
link to earlier should work on the ones behind the radiator.

Tim

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's as per photo at:

https://flic.kr/p/2hAcV3x

The photo is the front facing bleed valve from one of two double rads
and so I can easily get to these. All the other rads have the bleed
screw facing the wall so I have ~2" to work in.

But that *is* a square radiator plug/bleed valve. I wouldnt use a
hex socket on it though. Too much chance of rounding it off. The key I
posted a link to earlier should work on the ones behind the radiator.

Tim

Tim

Very short square - hence importance of filing the chamfered end off the
key - otherwise it won't fully engage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hex socket would be a poor fit on a square - a dodecagonal socket would be
OK but not such 'hard' engagement. Well worth filing off the taper.

I put a piece of eraser rubber in the key so that the plug stays forward
enough to engage with the thread; the rubber is a tad short then a little
bit of Blu-Tac or Plumber's Mait in there hold the plug.
I started to do this after a) backing out a touch too far on a filled system
that was hot (the plug went into the key...!) and b) removing the key with
the plug in and dropping the plug (another system). Getting the key+plug
from an awkward place...

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Hex socket would be a poor fit on a square - a dodecagonal socket would
be OK but not such 'hard' engagement. Well worth filing off the taper.

Use a bi-hex socket. That will be a perfect fit. If the right size. And
likely to shear it before rounding off the nut part.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *