Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Capping a brick wall

My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

Unless things have moved on it used to be an acid based cleaner was used
to clean brickwork, I dont know what it was called or if still used today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

I would suggest a DPC under whatever you cap it with .......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 11:16:44 UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

Unless things have moved on it used to be an acid based cleaner was used
to clean brickwork, I dont know what it was called or if still used today.

HCl or brick acid. Often called other things too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

Replavce that layer with somthing a bit more 'engineeri8ng'

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

if its white from carbonate salts use brick acid or patio acid - same
thing. Dilute hydrochloric acid

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has
no capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick
length thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more
water and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

To me, a stone capping is the traditional way. Anything else looks a bit
cheap.

--
*I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

Coping stones. Wire brush or if necessary brick acid for the stains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing to note is that nearly all the capped walls around here seem to
have loose capping after not many years, allowing the local yob fraternity
to pinch them lob them into a garden or in the case of a pillar turn it
through 45 degrees so my forehead got a big cut from the overhanging corner.
It occurred to me there has to be more sturdy ways to attach coping stones
than whatever people normally do. Maybe plastic pretend ones with clip on
tops screwed into the brickwork are the way to go?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

Replavce that layer with somthing a bit more 'engineeri8ng'

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more
water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

if its white from carbonate salts use brick acid or patio acid - same
thing. Dilute hydrochloric acid

--
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong."

? Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more
water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

Unless things have moved on it used to be an acid based cleaner was used
to clean brickwork,

Thats used to get the excess mortar off the face
off the bricks, not to clean water marks off them.

I dont know what it was called

Hydrochloric acid, also call muriatic acid.

or if still used today.

Yes it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:47 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for ONE HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 03:47:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the senile cretin's usual troll****

03:47??? AGAIN? I believe someone should really euthanize you now, you
abnormal senile cretin!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/10/2019 11:04, John wrote:
My daughter's house has a rather nice walled garden - but the wall has no
capping and some of the bricks are spalling. The wall is a brick length
thick - with the top of the wall laid with bricks across it.

I really feel we need to put some capping on the top to prevent more
water
and frost damage.

What would you suggest? Glazed brick? Stone?

Could the wall be cleaned as it looks a bit stained from water soacking
down it?

Coping stones. Wire brush

Thats going to mark the bricks.

or if necessary brick acid for the stains.

Thats only going to work with carbonate stains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 08:20:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s only going to work with carbonate stains.

Getting rid of you seems only to work with Nembutal, you useless trolling
senile pest!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

nearly all the capped walls around here seem to
have loose capping after not many years

Not helped by the parents who let their little darlings walk along
everyone else's walls ...