Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC outside Broadcasts Why?

What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes sense.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spendingÂ* TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

I don't see the point of OB on radio. How do we know they are genuine?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh you unromantic cynic you.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:10 18 Sep 2019, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 16:50:39 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes sense.

I'd be more than happy to move Wimbledon to the bin ...

Nothing against tennis or it's devotees personally, but when - in 2019 -
programmes are still being bumped for the ****ing tennis, it reminds me
how much I detest sport on TV. A hatred borne of (a) not really liking
sport at school and (b) a childhood of missed TV thanks to sport
overrunning, or simply just being there. Made all the worse with only 3
channels to chose from.

Those were the days! Cricket too.

Worst of all to a young one was the budget speech. Mind-numbingly boring and
elbowing aside episodes of genuinely important stuff like Tin Tin or Blue
Peter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2019 17:10, Jethro_uk wrote:

Nothing against tennis or it's devotees personally, but when - in 2019 -
programmes are still being bumped for the ****ing tennis, it reminds me
how much I detest sport on TV. A hatred borne of (a) not really liking
sport at school and (b) a childhood of missed TV thanks to sport
overrunning, or simply just being there. Made all the worse with only 3
channels to chose from.

Three channels? You were lucky...

Bill the Yorkshireman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes sense.

I'd be more than happy to move Wimbledon to the bin ...

Nothing against tennis or it's devotees personally, but when - in 2019 -
programmes are still being bumped for the ****ing tennis, it reminds me
how much I detest sport on TV. A hatred borne of (a) not really liking
sport at school and (b) a childhood of missed TV thanks to sport
overrunning, or simply just being there. Made all the worse with only 3
channels to chose from.

You had 3 channels? We only had one, until I was eight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:03:23 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

I don't see the point of OB on radio. How do we know they are genuine?

How do you know a TV OB is genuine?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes sense.

I'd be more than happy to move Wimbledon to the bin ...

Nothing against tennis or it's devotees personally, but when - in 2019 -
programmes are still being bumped for the ****ing tennis, it reminds me
how much I detest sport on TV. A hatred borne of (a) not really liking
sport at school and (b) a childhood of missed TV thanks to sport
overrunning, or simply just being there. Made all the worse with only 3
channels to chose from.

You had 3 channels? We only had one, until I was eight.

Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC TV
transmitter.

--
*People want trepanners like they want a hole in the head*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 11:24:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting
outsides simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes
sense.

I'd be more than happy to move Wimbledon to the bin ...

Nothing against tennis or it's devotees personally, but when - in
2019 -
programmes are still being bumped for the ****ing tennis, it reminds
me how much I detest sport on TV. A hatred borne of (a) not really
liking sport at school and (b) a childhood of missed TV thanks to
sport overrunning, or simply just being there. Made all the worse
with only 3 channels to chose from.

You had 3 channels? We only had one, until I was eight.

Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

When we got ITV, the transmitter was half a mile away. I had to make an
attenuator and put it in the antenna lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

wrote:
What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting
outsides simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Very true. Move Wimbledon into a studio. You just know it makes
sense.

I'd be more than happy to move Wimbledon to the bin ...

Nothing against tennis or it's devotees personally, but when - in
2019 - programmes are still being bumped for the ****ing tennis, it
reminds me how much I detest sport on TV. A hatred borne of (a) not
really liking sport at school and (b) a childhood of missed TV thanks
to sport overrunning, or simply just being there. Made all the worse
with only 3 channels to chose from.

You had 3 channels? We only had one, until I was eight.

Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC TV
transmitter.

We didn't get anything in Edinburgh until Coronation year - I was 13!
My parents didn't buy a tv set until about 1960, we watched the Coronation
in a friend's house. The room was packed

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
[...]

I'd nearly left home and started work when ITV arrived. ;-)

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

We didn't get anything in Edinburgh until Coronation year - I was 13!

Didn't realise the capital was so much later than Glasgow. The temporary
Aberdeen one at Redmoss was in place for the coronation too.

My parents didn't buy a tv set until about 1960, we watched the
Coronation in a friend's house. The room was packed

Father was in the motor trade and went to the London show each year, so
saw TV at his sister's place, long before it made it up north. And saw it
as a way of getting out taking the family to the cinema. So got one as
soon as it arrived. ;-)

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2019 16:12, Broadback wrote:
What is the point of spendingÂ* TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

because we can't tolerate adverts......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

We didn't get anything in Edinburgh until Coronation year - I was 13!

Didn't realise the capital was so much later than Glasgow. The temporary
Aberdeen one at Redmoss was in place for the coronation too.

They were both served by Kirk o'Shotts, which (according to Pawley)
actually opened on 17 August 1952. Not having parents who were interested
in TV I didn't note the date.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

Broadback wrote:
[...]

But then being an idle ******* you decided to stay on the dole and watch
day time TV - no?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

When we got ITV, the transmitter was half a mile away. I had to make an
attenuator and put it in the antenna lead.

I'd nearly left home and started work when ITV arrived. ;-)

But then being an idle ******* you decided to stay on the dole and watch
day time TV - no?

Yes - the dole was very good to me. Got me a house worth over a million
with a Porsche parked outside. And a large enough pension for my needs.

Why I don't whinged on and on about how unfair life has been and want to

*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 16:12:53 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Exactly. If the Americans can stage a lunar landing from a studio in
California, why would anyone need to move outside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the point of spending TV license money Broadcasting outsides
simply for the effect of it. What a load of garbage.

Exactly. If the Americans can stage a lunar landing from a studio in
California, why would anyone need to move outside?

A friend went into his fathers house to find him watching football, and enjoying the game. His father said it was a good game, lot of goals. Score was something like 12-10. My mate then looked more closely and realised it was a screening of a xbox game. So the op may be correct.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:38:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

We didn't get anything in Edinburgh until Coronation year - I was 13!

Didn't realise the capital was so much later than Glasgow. The temporary
Aberdeen one at Redmoss was in place for the coronation too.

Surely Glasgow and Edinburgh got the same signal from Kirk O'Shotts,
starting in 1952? I thought there was a push to open the main
transmitters in time for the Coronation.

My parents didn't buy a tv set until about 1960, we watched the
Coronation in a friend's house. The room was packed

Father was in the motor trade and went to the London show each year, so
saw TV at his sister's place, long before it made it up north. And saw it
as a way of getting out taking the family to the cinema. So got one as
soon as it arrived. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 17:33:35 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

We didn't get anything in Edinburgh until Coronation year - I was 13!

Didn't realise the capital was so much later than Glasgow. The temporary
Aberdeen one at Redmoss was in place for the coronation too.

They were both served by Kirk o'Shotts, which (according to Pawley)
actually opened on 17 August 1952. Not having parents who were interested
in TV I didn't note the date.

I should have read this before posting. Looking again, there exists
the possibility that the whole service area was not reached from the
start.

The BBC 405-line television service in Scotland started from Kirk
o'Shotts on 14 March 1952 using low power reserve transmitters
(Marconi). Full service began on 17 August 1952 using the main high
power transmitters. Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_o...itting_station

Maybe parts of Glasgow were served before parts of Edinburgh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 17:33:35 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it since Charles is likely correct. The one at Aberdeen was
temporary too. Situated close to town along with the MF transmitters. The
later permanent one at Old Meldrum, along with the FM transmitters.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.