Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's it called (AKA replacing a 1/4" brass hinge pin)

I'm restoring a 30s steel window and need new 1/4" brass hinge pins. The
hinges are external so I need to make the pins tamper-proof. The
originals were plain rod with a 1/8" round disk riveted on each end (the
ends were probably threaded as well) but something the shape of a
flat-headed nail would be better, and tapping a thread into the end to
take some sort of wide-headed screw (the whole thing being similar to a
book "binding post"). The lathe is out of action at the moment so I need
to find something off the shelf.
Any better ideas?
What's the name for a rod with a flat head?
How best to secure the bottom thread: cross drill and roll pin,
threadlock (is there a permanent type?), something else?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 9:35:53 AM UTC+1, wrote:
I'm restoring a 30s steel window and need new 1/4" brass hinge pins. The
hinges are external so I need to make the pins tamper-proof. The
originals were plain rod with a 1/8" round disk riveted on each end (the
ends were probably threaded as well) but something the shape of a
flat-headed nail would be better, and tapping a thread into the end to
take some sort of wide-headed screw (the whole thing being similar to a
book "binding post"). The lathe is out of action at the moment so I need
to find something off the shelf.
Any better ideas?
What's the name for a rod with a flat head?
How best to secure the bottom thread: cross drill and roll pin,
threadlock (is there a permanent type?), something else?

Could you not peen the ends. Brass is relatively soft