DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   vernier-caliper (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/639618-vernier-caliper.html)

alan_m September 6th 19 06:13 PM

vernier-caliper

I've just purchased a vernier-caliper

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...-caliper/4269v

On the packaging it says "Made in China. All figures are approximate"

It doesn't give much confidence that the 100mm to 150mm +/-0.03mm figure
is accurate!

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. September 6th 19 10:29 PM

vernier-caliper

alan_m pretended :
I've just purchased a vernier-caliper

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...-caliper/4269v

On the packaging it says "Made in China. All figures are approximate"

It doesn't give much confidence that the 100mm to 150mm +/-0.03mm figure is
accurate!

Yesterday in Lidl, they had one of these -
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...-caliper/7093v
On their reduced shelves at just £5.59 reduced from £7.99. Identical
item, just a different badged name. I already had one, but it would
have been rude not to get a spare at that price..

Tim Lamb[_2_] September 7th 19 09:39 AM

vernier-caliper

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
alan_m pretended :
I've just purchased a vernier-caliper

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...-caliper/4269v

On the packaging it says "Made in China. All figures are approximate"

It doesn't give much confidence that the 100mm to 150mm +/-0.03mm
figure is accurate!

Yesterday in Lidl, they had one of these -
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...-caliper/7093v
On their reduced shelves at just £5.59 reduced from £7.99. Identical
item, just a different badged name. I already had one, but it would
have been rude not to get a spare at that price..

Not sure if that is the same one but.. my electronic vernier has a bad
habit of flattening the battery (2032?) while unused. There was a thread
about slotting the foam wrap to stop them switching on while on the
shelf. Perhaps a permanent current draw more likely.
I disconnect the battery for storage.

Seems OK on accuracy once calibrated.

--
Tim Lamb

Tim+[_5_] September 7th 19 11:56 AM

vernier-caliper

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Mine is exactly the same. I always remove the battery cover now for
storage.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Dave Plowman (News) September 7th 19 01:35 PM

vernier-caliper

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Not sure if that is the same one but.. my electronic vernier has a bad
habit of flattening the battery (2032?) while unused. There was a thread
about slotting the foam wrap to stop them switching on while on the
shelf. Perhaps a permanent current draw more likely.
I disconnect the battery for storage.

I'm forever leaving mine on. Mitutoyo brand and pretty old. Doesn't seem
to make a difference to battery life which is several years.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.