DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Unable to open double fronted door (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/63959-unable-open-double-fronted-door.html)

sandiyan August 5th 04 08:56 PM

Unable to open double fronted door

One side of our double fronted (double glazed last year) door is
unable to open as one of the latch that holds the door to frame is not
releasing properly.

We had this problem few times now and the double glaze engineer had to
come and fix it for us - The fix seems (?) to have been carried out by
adjusting the hinges...

1. Where can I buy the tools somewhere to adjust the hinges to fix the
problem...?

2. What normally cause this problem...? As its the third time, should
double company looking into fixing the underlying problem...? e.g.
replace doors ??!

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

jacob August 6th 04 05:34 PM

(sandiyan) wrote in message . com...
One side of our double fronted (double glazed last year) door is
unable to open as one of the latch that holds the door to frame is not
releasing properly.

We had this problem few times now and the double glaze engineer had to
come and fix it for us - The fix seems (?) to have been carried out by
adjusting the hinges...

1. Where can I buy the tools somewhere to adjust the hinges to fix the
problem...?

2. What normally cause this problem...? As its the third time, should
double company looking into fixing the underlying problem...? e.g.
replace doors ??!

Thanks,
Sandiyan.

Are you talking about plastic cos if so basically you are ****ed. Just
keep leaning on the supplier and threaten bad publicity - Consumer
Association, trading standards, small claims court etc

cheers

Jacob

N. Thornton August 7th 04 10:17 AM

(jacob) wrote in message . com...
(sandiyan) wrote in message . com...
One side of our double fronted (double glazed last year) door is
unable to open as one of the latch that holds the door to frame is not
releasing properly.

Are you talking about plastic cos if so basically you are ****ed. Just

why's that?

Regards, NT

jacob August 7th 04 08:04 PM

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...
(jacob) wrote in message . com...
(sandiyan) wrote in message . com...
One side of our double fronted (double glazed last year) door is
unable to open as one of the latch that holds the door to frame is not
releasing properly.

Are you talking about plastic cos if so basically you are ****ed. Just

why's that?

Regards, NT

Because plastic doors/windows are an industrialised prefabricated
product with only limited facilities for adjustment, maintenance etc.
These doors were obviously faulty from the beginning - if 3 attempts
to correct have failed it's likely the problem is fundamental and
probably means major replacement. They are 'throw away, low
maintenance' products like cars, fridges etc.
As compared to timber where the whole thing can be worked over,
altered, trimmed, fitted with new hardware if necessary not to the
same spec or in same position - can be kept going indefinitely and
repaired ad infinitum.

cheers

Jacob

Michael Mcneil August 7th 04 11:47 PM

Unable to open double fronted door

"sandiyan" wrote in message
om

One side of our double fronted (double glazed last year) door is
unable to open as one of the latch that holds the door to frame is not
releasing properly.

I presume you mean the bolts that hold the secondary opener?

This has probably happened because the frame has moved or because the
glazing was put in incorrectly. Send them a letter telling them that
this is what you suspect and that you want the product repaired properly
or replaced. There is more information about this sort of prblem on
here.

Alternatively, the problem may be with a slight movement in the frame.
If you can get the door open you might be able to adjust the bolt. They
sometimes unscrew their fittings too. They are attached from below and
above (at the bottom and top respectively.)

sandiyan August 8th 04 06:07 PM

Unable to open double fronted door

I presume you mean the bolts that hold the secondary opener?

This has probably happened because the frame has moved or because the
glazing was put in incorrectly. Send them a letter telling them that
this is what you suspect and that you want the product repaired properly
or replaced. There is more information about this sort of prblem on
here.

Alternatively, the problem may be with a slight movement in the frame.
If you can get the door open you might be able to adjust the bolt. They
sometimes unscrew their fittings too. They are attached from below and
above (at the bottom and top respectively.)

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, its the lacth(bolt) for the secondary
door that is causing issues. As said in the thread, I should write a
letter to complain.
In the meantime, I was wondering whether I could buy the necessary
keys (from B&Q ???) to adjust the hinges to the door open...

Thanks for all your help.
Sandiyan.