Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom Mirror with light

SWMBO wants an illuminated, demisting bathroom mirror on the wall. I have
agreed proviing ith has a shaver socket.

My question is about wiring it. It will be fitted almost where a Shaver
Transformer is currently.

I would like to remove the existing transformer and use the wiring (off
lighting circuit) to power the mirror.

The transformer has 3 lives and 3 neutrals looped into the back box.

I would like to end up with the backbox covered over and the flex from the
mirror terminated under that cover.

Any suggrestions for doing it correctly?

An alternative may be to pull the 3 cables up into the loft, join them in a
junction box and take a single cable down to the back box. However the
cables are in an area of very restricted working space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/07/2019 10:26, DerbyBorn wrote:
SWMBO wants an illuminated, demisting bathroom mirror on the wall. I have
agreed proviing ith has a shaver socket.

My question is about wiring it. It will be fitted almost where a Shaver
Transformer is currently.

I would like to remove the existing transformer and use the wiring (off
lighting circuit) to power the mirror.

The transformer has 3 lives and 3 neutrals looped into the back box.

I would like to end up with the backbox covered over and the flex from the
mirror terminated under that cover.

Any suggrestions for doing it correctly?

An alternative may be to pull the 3 cables up into the loft, join them in a
junction box and take a single cable down to the back box. However the
cables are in an area of very restricted working space.

If you could fit a blank plate with a hole drilled in it for the flex
then do that. Wagos or strip connector will be fine.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote in
:

[...]

Sounds great. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote in
:

[...]

I am assuming the shaver socket will not be on an isolating transformer.
Should I consider a separate earth leakage device - (which would mean
pulling the cables up the partition wall into the loft!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 12:02:28 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
ARW wrote in
:

[...]

Use an FCU

I am assuming the shaver socket will not be on an isolating transformer.

it certainly will be

Should I consider a separate earth leakage device - (which would mean
pulling the cables up the partition wall into the loft!)

no need

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 13:56:39 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 28/07/2019 13:24, tabbypurr wrote:

I am assuming the shaver socket will not be on an isolating transformer.

it certainly will be

Personally, I'd like to test that. One way is to dismantle the mirror
and take a look. Is the other way to check the voltage of the socket's
two conductors against earth separately? Worrying if they are not both
zero.

test for continuity from outputs to mains inputs. If there is continuity, it's not fit for purpose.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/07/2019 12:02, DerbyBorn wrote:

I am assuming the shaver socket will not be on an isolating transformer.
Should I consider a separate earth leakage device - (which would mean
pulling the cables up the partition wall into the loft!)

That would not be regs compliant. It needs to be an isolating
transformer, not a bog standard shaver point with RCD protection.

See if you can find a manual for what she wants to buy?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
[...]

I'm giving one away but he will have to fetch:-)

Shaver outlet, led lamps, heated glass and a photo cell on/off switch.

The downside is the glass stands 2" off the wall due to the transformers
and controls and was vetoed by senior management after installation:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/07/2019 17:23, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
On 28/07/2019 10:26, DerbyBorn wrote:
SWMBO wants an illuminated, demisting bathroom mirror on the wall. I
have
agreed proviing ith has a shaver socket.
Â*My question is about wiring it. It will be fitted almost where a Shaver
Transformer is currently.
Â*I would like to remove the existing transformer and use the wiring (off
lighting circuit) to power the mirror.
Â*The transformer has 3 lives and 3 neutrals looped into the back box.
Â*I would like to end up with the backbox covered over and the flex
from the
mirror terminated under that cover.
Â*Any suggrestions for doing it correctly?
Â*An alternative may be to pull the 3 cables up into the loft, join
them in a
junction box and take a single cable down to the back box. However the
cables are in an area of very restricted working space.

If you could fit a blank plate with a hole drilled in it for the flex
then do that. Wagos or strip connector will be fine.

I'm giving one away but he will have to fetch:-)

Shaver outlet, led lamps, heated glass and a photo cell on/off switch.

The downside is the glass stands 2" off the wall due to the transformers
and controls and was vetoed by senior management after installation:-(

Most mirror lights do stand off the wall.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
[...]

I've seen LCD televisions that are flush with the tiles.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/07/2019 19:17, Graham. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
[...]

I have fitted them. And they cost a few more quid than mirror lights.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
[...]

but the tiles were stood off the wall :-)

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
[...]

For a neat flex outlet, get a socket with a TV outlet on it, and remove the
tv socket.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 19:17, charles wrote:
For a neat flex outlet, get a socket with a TV outlet on it, and remove the
tv socket.

Simpler still, just get a flex outlet plate, it includes the terminals,
cord grip and neat cable outlet slot flush against the wall.
e.g. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1090.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
[...]

Yes. These particular ones are embedded in the glass

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
SWMBO wants an illuminated, demisting bathroom mirror on the wall. I have
agreed proviing ith has a shaver socket.

My question is about wiring it. It will be fitted almost where a Shaver
Transformer is currently.

I would like to remove the existing transformer and use the wiring (off
lighting circuit) to power the mirror.

The transformer has 3 lives and 3 neutrals looped into the back box.

I would like to end up with the backbox covered over and the flex from the
mirror terminated under that cover.

Any suggrestions for doing it correctly?

An alternative may be to pull the 3 cables up into the loft, join them in a
junction box and take a single cable down to the back box. However the
cables are in an area of very restricted working space.

Weve got a these in both bathrooms and wouldnt be without them- although
I dont use the shaver socket, I cant get on with electric razors.

Both of ours have a shallow metal box behind the glass which keeps the
glass maybe an inch from the wall. It is virtually as large as the mirror.
It is hollow, mostly empty ( it contains the electronics but they dont
take much space). The fitting instructions show it against the wall,
rather than sunk into it.

Provided your new mirror covers the existing power outlet, it will cover it
and solve your problem.

My only regret is not getting the version with radio in. I like Classic FM
in the morning.