DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing Machine Woes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/638125-washing-machine-woes.html)

TheChief July 27th 19 05:41 PM

Washing Machine Woes

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

ARW July 27th 19 05:48 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

--
Adam

[email protected] July 27th 19 05:59 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On Saturday, 27 July 2019 17:41:15 UTC+1, TheChief wrote:
Hi Guys
How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.
I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.
Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Yes, and every washing machine repairman knows it :-)

Hopefully the machine isn't full of water or there's a pump sump/filter you can open to drain it.

Isolate the machine, take the lid off and there'll be something to pull to override or disengage the door interlock. It probably won't be obvious but try googling for your machine model.

In many cases just waiting long enough will do it as whatever power is holding the interlock on should run down eventually.

Owain

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 27th 19 06:03 PM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief was thinking very hard :
Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil

Remove the drain pipe from where it drain into and tip it into a bowl
on the floor. It may take several bowl fulls to empty it completely.

Water is only retained in the machine, because drain pipe rises up
higher than the highest water level the machine ever achieves. To drain
it in normal operation, needs to use a pump in the bottom.

Once it is drained, you can usually take to top panel off and gain
access to the door latch to manually release the door.

Tripping an RCD, is usually due to carbon from the worn motor brushes
shorting the motor internals to ground. Worth cleaning out and fitting
new brushes, usually.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 27th 19 06:08 PM

Washing Machine Woes

laid this down on his screen :
In many cases just waiting long enough will do it as whatever power is
holding the interlock on should run down eventually.

Often an electrically heated wax unit. The wax expands, and blocks the
door release for several minutes until the wax cools and contracts.

Sometimes the door release mechanism is solenoid, so power is needed to
release it, but that will not operate with water in the machine.

So drain it first, then remove the top cover with the machine unplugged
and look down for a mechanical release.

[email protected] July 27th 19 06:27 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On Saturday, 27 July 2019 17:41:15 UTC+1, TheChief wrote:
Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil

Drain it first. If it still doesn't open, sometimes just giving it a smack then works, if not others have commented further.

NT

Andy Burns[_13_] July 27th 19 06:40 PM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief wrote:

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

There is a trick to opening them using a bit of string which you weedle
in around the rubber seal and manipulate the lock mechanism, I was
surprised when it worked for me ...

https://youtu.be/Fd8ddreBYL4

Search for your model, there are probably variations of the trick.

TheChief July 27th 19 07:01 PM

Washing Machine Woes

ARW Wrote in message:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

--
Adam

Hi Adam

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember :)

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

TheChief July 27th 19 07:01 PM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief Wrote in message:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks guys

I'll try the lid off route tomorrow and try to recover the contents.

As it is around 10 years old it looks like a new one is in order.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

ARW July 27th 19 07:14 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 18:56, TheChief wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

--
Adam

Hi Adam

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember :)

It's not hard to temporary bypass a RCD.....

--
Adam

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 27th 19 07:22 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 18:59, TheChief wrote:
TheChief Wrote in message:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks guys

I'll try the lid off route tomorrow and try to recover the contents.

As it is around 10 years old it looks like a new one is in order.

When mine did this it was a short in the motor internals and a new motor
for about £60 fixed it

Phil

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

charles July 27th 19 07:49 PM

Washing Machine Woes

ARW Wrote in message:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid
cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

--
Adam

Hi Adam

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember :)

It's not hard to temporary bypass a RCD.....

for you quite easy - but for a realy amateur

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Bob Eager[_7_] July 27th 19 07:54 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:56:47 +0100, TheChief wrote:

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember

What does the manual say?

1) About draining in emergency - our has a hidden drain hose.

2) About manual door release.

GB July 27th 19 08:02 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 19:54, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:56:47 +0100, TheChief wrote:

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember

What does the manual say?

1) About draining in emergency - our has a hidden drain hose.

2) About manual door release.

Come now. Why would he RTFM?

Mr Pounder Esquire July 27th 19 08:28 PM

Washing Machine Woes

GB wrote:
On 27/07/2019 19:54, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:56:47 +0100, TheChief wrote:

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember

What does the manual say?

1) About draining in emergency - our has a hidden drain hose.

2) About manual door release.

Come now. Why would he RTFM?

You seem to be getting worse. You used to be helpful, now you seem to have
turned into a ****. If I can't help with a problem I don't type in the ****
that you have done.
To the OP, give the door a gentle kick by the lock, this may just work.

Bob Eager[_7_] July 27th 19 08:34 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 20:02:53 +0100, GB wrote:

On 27/07/2019 19:54, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:56:47 +0100, TheChief wrote:

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember

What does the manual say?

1) About draining in emergency - our has a hidden drain hose.

2) About manual door release.

Come now. Why would he RTFM?

I was suggesting a last resort, obviously.

mm0fmf[_2_] July 27th 19 08:39 PM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief Wrote in message:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks guys

I'll try the lid off route tomorrow and try to recover the contents.

As it is around 10 years old it looks like a new one is in order.

Phil

If it's not worth fixing at only 10 years old it's not a Bosch / Miele
or AEG.

ARW July 27th 19 09:04 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 19:49, charles wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid
cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

--
Adam

Hi Adam

I've waited about 2 hours but no good.

I don't have any non RCD supplies to power circuits. Nor to the
cooker as you may well remember :)

It's not hard to temporary bypass a RCD.....

for you quite easy - but for a realy amateur

He could quite easily correctly wire up his own cooker supply.

--
Adam

newshound July 27th 19 09:24 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 17:48, ARW wrote:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD.* So it
* cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

These days, quite a lot of machines (e.g. my Bosch) have a little
plastic strap that comes down under the cover to the drain pump. You
pull this down hard, and it releases the catch. It is quite fiddly to
do, on the Bosch.

alan_m July 27th 19 09:30 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil

Often you have to drain the water first. The drain hose attached to the
machine at floor level so you have to take the outlet of this drain hose
level or below this level and then gravity will empty the machine of water.

Fredxx[_3_] July 27th 19 09:42 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Two back to back 110V isolating transformers?

GB July 27th 19 10:42 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 27/07/2019 20:28, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

You seem to be getting worse. You used to be helpful, now you seem to have
turned into a ****.

You're right. I quite often type this sort of stuff for my own
amusement, then delete it.

Just at the moment, I'm feeling really sore, as I had my second, much
smaller op, last week. I think that's probably colouring my judgement,
although it's no real excuse.

All the washing machines I can remember have had some sort of manual
door release. Easily accessible without dismantling the machine.

Bob Eager[_7_] July 27th 19 11:30 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 21:24:14 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 27/07/2019 17:48, ARW wrote:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid
cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD.* So it
* cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

These days, quite a lot of machines (e.g. my Bosch) have a little
plastic strap that comes down under the cover to the drain pump. You
pull this down hard, and it releases the catch. It is quite fiddly to
do, on the Bosch.

Yes, our Bosch has that. Under the same flap as the emergency drain pipe,
and the pump cover (for getting dross out of the pump).

TheChief July 28th 19 08:21 AM

Washing Machine Woes

newshound Wrote in message:
On 27/07/2019 17:48, ARW wrote:
On 27/07/2019 17:41, TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Wait, or try a non RCD supply.

These days, quite a lot of machines (e.g. my Bosch) have a little
plastic strap that comes down under the cover to the drain pump. You
pull this down hard, and it releases the catch. It is quite fiddly to
do, on the Bosch.

Hey Newshound

Thanks for that. Yes mine has this release strap, but there is
absolutely no reference to this in the manual supplied with the
machine.
Er indoors can now at least get at her uniforms she needs for work
next week.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian Gaff July 28th 19 09:42 AM

Washing Machine Woes

And have plenty of towels and or shallow trays around when it does release.
Most seem to release eventually but if you have one that does not then I
really do not know unless somebody in the service business might have a
particular trick for your make.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Reay[_6_] July 28th 19 09:43 AM

Washing Machine Woes

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
laid this down on his screen :
In many cases just waiting long enough will do it as whatever power is
holding the interlock on should run down eventually.

Often an electrically heated wax unit. The wax expands, and blocks the
door release for several minutes until the wax cools and contracts.

Sometimes the door release mechanism is solenoid, so power is needed to
release it, but that will not operate with water in the machine.

So drain it first, then remove the top cover with the machine unplugged
and look down for a mechanical release.

Harry is correct.

You need to get the water out first.

Sometimes you can just lay the outlet hose low, almost along the floor, and
drain the water something. Ive never had a machine this didnt work for
but Ive heard some have valves. If yours does, tip it up and undo the
drain from the drum, with something under it. Make sure the machine is
unplugged.

The door interlock should release when cool and the water is out.

A common reason machines dont drain is a block in the level sensor pipe.
The level sensor is generally round or a rounded rectangular box maybe 3
dia or long, above the middle of the machine. It has a few wires and a
small pipe which connects to the lower part of the machine. Check the pipe
isnt blocked, a common place is where it connects to the lower end.
Problems spinning is a common symptom of a block in this pipe as the
machine wont spin if it thinks it has water in it. Sometime, a partial
block will just cause things to be delayed until the air in the pipe
escapes past the blockage.

Brian Reay[_6_] July 28th 19 09:45 AM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief Wrote in message:

Hi Guys

How do I open the door to a washing machine when it has died mid cycle.

I cannot power the machine up without tripping the RCD. So it
cannot complete the wash and release the door.

Without a hammer or crowbar is there a way to retrieve the washing?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks guys

I'll try the lid off route tomorrow and try to recover the contents.

As it is around 10 years old it looks like a new one is in order.

Phil

If it's not worth fixing at only 10 years old it's not a Bosch / Miele
or AEG.

I dont rate either Bosch or AEG.

Our first new machine *was an Ariston, it lasted 17 years with no more than
door seals and a door handle (perhaps a switch as well- although that may
have been a later Ariston). Since then, others of various makes have
typically lasted 5 or 6 years with little difference between makes. We now
only buy machines which have 5 year a warranty included and plan on
replacing then when they die, unless it is something trivial.

* we bought a s/h machine when we were students, it lasted several years.

Our experience with AEG ( admittedly not washing machines) hasnt been
good. Ditto Bosch.

Brian Gaff July 28th 19 09:49 AM

Washing Machine Woes

This is drifting. What make and model is it, It is quite probable that his
question is a common one on the web somewhere. If its a machine that still
retains a mechanical switch or rotating knob, often returning it to the off
then plugging it in can release the door, but if it does trip even then, IE
its not a motor fault, then I feel you need a person who knows the tricks of
the trade.
Brian

--
----- --

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 28th 19 10:05 AM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief Wrote in message:

[...]

Bosch these days are total junk.

--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

alan_m July 28th 19 10:33 AM

Washing Machine Woes

On 28/07/2019 09:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
This is drifting. What make and model is it, It is quite probable that his
question is a common one on the web somewhere. If its a machine that still
retains a mechanical switch or rotating knob, often returning it to the off
then plugging it in can release the door,

There is often (always) an interlock to prevent the door opening if the
machine still has water in it.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. July 28th 19 10:43 AM

Washing Machine Woes

After serious thinking Brian Gaff wrote :
If its a machine that still retains a mechanical switch or rotating knob,
often returning it to the off then plugging it in can release the door, but
if it does trip even then, IE its not a motor fault, then I feel you need a
person who knows the tricks of the trade.

Sorry Brian, that is wrong...

If the fault is an N to E short or leakage, then even turned off, it
can still cause an RCD to trip.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. July 28th 19 10:59 AM

Washing Machine Woes

Brian Reay formulated on Sunday :
A common reason machines dont drain is a block in the level sensor pipe.
The level sensor is generally round or a rounded rectangular box maybe 3
dia or long, above the middle of the machine. It has a few wires and a
small pipe which connects to the lower part of the machine.

They are an extremely low pressure switch. Water rises up the pipe,
building up very slight air pressure in 'the box', which acts on a
flexible diaphragm, which then operates a microswitch. Releasing the
pipe from the box, you should be able to blow easily down it and hear
it bubbling in the drum, unless there is a restriction. Fitting a short
bit of pipe to 'the box' you should be able to blow very lightly ad
hear the microswitch click over.

Jeff Layman[_2_] July 28th 19 11:19 AM

Washing Machine Woes

On 28/07/19 10:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Brian Gaff wrote :
If its a machine that still retains a mechanical switch or rotating knob,
often returning it to the off then plugging it in can release the door, but
if it does trip even then, IE its not a motor fault, then I feel you need a
person who knows the tricks of the trade.

Sorry Brian, that is wrong...

If the fault is an N to E short or leakage, then even turned off, it
can still cause an RCD to trip.

Do you happen to know of a good summary of neutral-earth shorts? I've
done a bit of searching and am even more confused! For example "... I
would look for a neutral/earth fault. Not only can these can cause an
RCD to operate, but it is also possible for a neutral/earth fault to
defeat an RCD and prevent it from operating." (at
https://community.screwfix.com/threads/rcd-not-working-then-ring-main-neutrals-connected.187153/#post-1501878)

I would have thought that a modern MCB would be double-pole and break
live and neutral (although I accept that the CU the OP was referring to
might have had an old one. Were they ever single pole?). Or were you
referring to shared neutrals which might still have caused the RCD to
trip even if the live was disconnected via the MCB? Or is there another
explanation?

--

Jeff

Brian Reay[_6_] July 28th 19 11:24 AM

Washing Machine Woes

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Brian Reay formulated on Sunday :
A common reason machines dont drain is a block in the level sensor pipe.
The level sensor is generally round or a rounded rectangular box maybe 3
dia or long, above the middle of the machine. It has a few wires and a
small pipe which connects to the lower part of the machine.

They are an extremely low pressure switch. Water rises up the pipe,
building up very slight air pressure in 'the box', which acts on a
flexible diaphragm, which then operates a microswitch. Releasing the
pipe from the box, you should be able to blow easily down it and hear
it bubbling in the drum, unless there is a restriction. Fitting a short
bit of pipe to 'the box' you should be able to blow very lightly ad
hear the microswitch click over.

Not sure about the bubbling, the pipe is normally connected at the top of
the sump area which should be empty when you are working on the machine.

Generally I find the blockage is a grey gunge, a mix of chalk, washing
powder (or fluid), oil from the wash, and dirt. The same gunge is often in
the other parts of the machine.

Brian Reay[_6_] July 28th 19 11:30 AM

Washing Machine Woes

TheChief Wrote in message:

[...]

Agreed

We replaced one with a Siemens which, when it failed (out of warranty) I
discovered used some identical parts inside to the Bosch it had replaced-
to the point some parts Id kept from the Bosch would fit and allowed me to
repair it.

charles July 28th 19 12:01 PM

Washing Machine Woes

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

while the master breaker would be double pole, the ones on subicircuits
would almost certainly be single pole.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Mike Clarke July 28th 19 12:34 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 28/07/2019 11:30, Brian Reay wrote:
We replaced one with a Siemens which, when it failed (out of warranty) I
discovered used some identical parts inside to the Bosch it had replaced-
to the point some parts Id kept from the Bosch would fit and allowed me to
repair it.

That's not surprising, Bosch, Siemens and Neff applances are in the same
group. Their domestic appliances have much in common but appear to aim
more upmarket in order Bosch - Siemens - Neff.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSH_Hausger%C3%A4te

"BSH Hausgeräte GmbH (or BSH Home Appliances) is the largest
manufacturer of home appliances in Europe and one of the leading
companies in the sector worldwide. The group stemmed from a joint
venture set up in 1967 between Robert Bosch GmbH (Stuttgart) and Siemens
AG (Munich) and posted annual sales of 13.4[1] billion euros in the year
2018. "

Jeff Layman[_2_] July 28th 19 12:35 PM

Washing Machine Woes

On 28/07/19 12:01, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It's a bad day when you fail to learn something useful from
uk.d.i.y!

--

Jeff

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. July 28th 19 12:57 PM

Washing Machine Woes

After serious thinking Jeff Layman wrote :
Do you happen to know of a good summary of neutral-earth shorts? I've done a
bit of searching and am even more confused! For example "... I would look for
a neutral/earth fault. Not only can these can cause an RCD to operate, but it
is also possible for a neutral/earth fault to defeat an RCD and prevent it
from operating." (at
https://community.screwfix.com/threads/rcd-not-working-then-ring-main-neutrals-connected.187153/#post-1501878)

Others have responded to the question of double/single pole MCB.

What has to be understood is that RCD's are triggered to open on a
fault, by an imbalance between current of live versus the neutral
conductor.

Most MCB's are single pole, isolating just the live. If there is a
voltage differential between the N & E (there is usually several volts
difference), even if the MCB is open, with a N&E leakage, or short/ or
fault - current can still flow down that neutral, through the RCD and
cause it to trip.

Which is why so many people have such difficulty finding the causes of
an RCD constantly tripping. Simply turning MCB's off or unplugging
alone, may not allow an RCD to be reset.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. July 28th 19 01:05 PM

Washing Machine Woes

Brian Reay used his keyboard to write :
Agreed

We replaced one with a Siemens which, when it failed (out of warranty) I
discovered used some identical parts inside to the Bosch it had replaced-
to the point some parts Id kept from the Bosch would fit and allowed me to
repair it.

Lots of the smaller parts in CH boilers, washing machines, cars and
many other things are common to many other makes. Why make something
from scratch, when you can buy off the shelf and add a few extra
percent, by putting it one of your own boxes?