Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Iphone FaceTime - possible on 2G ?

A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime
which works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the
screen and that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2019 17:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime which
works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the screen
and that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?

Is it possible that the phone is indeed on 2G but faceTime is actually
going over a connected WiFi link?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote :
On 22/07/2019 17:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime which
works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the screen and
that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?

Is it possible that the phone is indeed on 2G but faceTime is actually going
over a connected WiFi link?

One time he was in the sticks, fishing, so no..

He's on EE and suggests it says EE 2G.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You might get always with facetime audio, but not video.
Personally, I'd suspect he is at home and hence logged into his wifi or
something like that.
What part of the world is he in that does not have even3G?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime which
works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the screen and
that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I understood that EE only do 3 and 4G in most places.

Indeed the old systems are supposed to be obsolete in some areas as my old
phone would say no signal a lot since it was pre 3g.

He needs to look at his settings app.
Brian

--
----- --

Andrew May wrote :
On 22/07/2019 17:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime which
works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the screen
and that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?

Is it possible that the phone is indeed on 2G but faceTime is actually
going over a connected WiFi link?

One time he was in the sticks, fishing, so no..

He's on EE and suggests it says EE 2G.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote :
You might get always with facetime audio, but not video.
Personally, I'd suspect he is at home and hence logged into his wifi or
something like that.
What part of the world is he in that does not have even3G?

Just half a mile from me and I always get 4G. He says it shows 2 where
ever he goes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote :
You might get always with facetime audio, but not video.
Personally, I'd suspect he is at home and hence logged into his wifi or
something like that.
What part of the world is he in that does not have even3G?

Just half a mile from me and I always get 4G. He says it shows 2 where
ever he goes.

Then that's the problem, its not really 2G whatever his phone says.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Swer wrote :
Then that's the problem, its not really 2G whatever his phone says.

I agree, but you try convincing him lol

I just didn't think FaceTime could work on 2G and wanted to check.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 19:21:33 +1000, Swer, better known as cantankerous

What part of the world is he in that does not have even3G?

Just half a mile from me and I always get 4G. He says it shows 2 where
ever he goes.

Then that's the problem, its not really 2G whatever his phone says.

If people ONLY always asked YOU first, eh, senile Mr Know-it-all? VBG

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2019 17:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A friend is convinced his Iphone is using 2G, but he uses Facetime which
works full speed. I think he is misreading what it says on the screen
and that he must be on 4G. Is FaceTime even possible on 2G?

Tell him to do a speed test.

Bill