Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Firewood splitting/burning qualities questions

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:11:38 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 15/06/2019 21:42, T i m wrote:

Only flown once (to Nice) for work, wouldn't do it again out of
principal (pollution).

I have never commuted any distance by vehicle (my choice) and when I
have needed to (commute) I've generally gone by train.

We do our 'weekly shop' (and most other shopping) on foot.

Not perfect and not tree huggers, just do what we can.

It all sounds perfectly pointless to me. Just putting yourself out for
the sake of it.

So, we now find out you do actually try to recycle (hard man
credentials slipping a bit there g) so what do you do for exercise?

Some run in circles round the block, or even whilst going nowhere (on
a treadmill) and others pay to go into a big room and lift weights or
bend and stretch.

We don't do those, we walk with the dogs whilst exploring the
countryside, or go shopping on foot (generally with the trolley for
the 'big shop').

It's *easier* and often quicker for us in an overall convenience POV
(inc parking, getting stuff into a trolley, getting it to the car)
and it's better for the environment than if we were to drive ... plus
we get some more exercise and often meet more people along the way.
;-)

We generally walk to my Mums, or the local park (again, often with the
dogs) and when 'her' Mum and Dad were alive and they moved away (10
miles) when they downsized, we used to cycle to see them, along the
towpath.

No 'putting ourselves out', enjoying what we do and keeping fit (or
certainly fitter than we would have been otherwise) in the meantime.

Daughter is 29, is pretty strong and has a pretty physical job (often
working outside) and towards the end of a day of us working together,
asked why I (at 63) wasn't exhausted (like her). ;-)

Yesterday we walked to my Mums with the dogs then walked nearly the
same distance back to go shopping (via the cafe for a treat g). We
did our weekly shop (over £100's worth) and walked it home (in the
drizzle) with trolley and a couple of bags. Then we walked back to
Mums and then took the dogs for a walk to and around the park and then
walked home.

A 'good' dog walk for us is only about 5 miles as the Mrs is nearly 70
and is trying to conserve her metal knees a bit. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Firewood Cutting and Splitting george [dicegeorge] UK diy 5 July 16th 11 10:30 PM
Serious Question - Why am I splitting firewood [email protected] Home Repair 26 May 20th 11 04:57 AM
burning old firewood mm Home Repair 3 April 12th 08 07:28 PM
Burning green/wet firewood Ook Home Repair 21 November 5th 06 02:52 AM
Firewood smell in basement when burning wood on first floor. [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 17th 04 04:59 PM