Old June 13th 19, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone - SMS works, calls don't :(

SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started ****ing about.

Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However try to make
a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted.

SMS send/receive OK, so the phone is talking ********. (Found this out
when I went to log into her online account and it sent a 2FA text to the
phone which is received - then I tested sending ....)

Have tried all the tips - reboot, safe mode, cleaning SIM tray and card.

SIM works OK in another phone.

Apparently the phone is (just) in warranty, but I'm suspecting that'll be
a 6-week wait situation ... annoyingly SWMBO relies a lot on the phone
because of the screen size (she's partially sighted).

Have I missed anything obvious.

Completely stock Android etc.

Old June 13th 19, 07:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote

SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started ****ing about.

Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However
try to make a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted.

That’s usually poor contacts with the sim.

SMS send/receive OK, so the phone is talking ********.

Dunno, havent tried that with a phone complaining about the lack of a sim.

(Found this out when I went to log into her online account and it sent
a 2FA text to the phone which is received - then I tested sending ....)

Have tried all the tips - reboot, safe mode, cleaning SIM tray and card.

Not necessarily cleaning, try bending the prongs that
contact the sim out if you can get to them to do that.

SIM works OK in another phone.

Apparently the phone is (just) in warranty, but I'm suspecting that'll
be a 6-week wait situation ... annoyingly SWMBO relies a lot on the
phone because of the screen size (she's partially sighted).

Some get a used one and then sell it again after the
original is fixed under warranty in that situation.

Old June 13th 19, 07:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started ****ing about.

Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However try to make
a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted.

SMS send/receive OK, so the phone is talking ********. (Found this out
when I went to log into her online account and it sent a 2FA text to the
phone which is received - then I tested sending ....)

Have tried all the tips - reboot, safe mode, cleaning SIM tray and card.

SIM works OK in another phone.

Apparently the phone is (just) in warranty, but I'm suspecting that'll be
a 6-week wait situation ... annoyingly SWMBO relies a lot on the phone
because of the screen size (she's partially sighted).

I had just moved my SWMBO onto an Orange cheapest contract in an EE shop
from pay-as-you go when her phone died.

They took it for repair under warranty, and we bought the cheapest phone
they had rather than the offered loan one.
It was back within a week, with a statement saying "No fault found".

Within a few days, it failed again. We went back and in a few days they
replaced it with a brand new phone of the same model flip phone with
largish buttons and screen.

--
Bill
Old June 13th 19, 07:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:12:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Dunno

THAT word, TOO, would make a nice nym for you, senile Rodent!

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Old June 13th 19, 09:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2019 17:41, Jethro_uk wrote:
SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started ****ing about.

Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However try to make
a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted.

SMS send/receive OK, so the phone is talking ********. (Found this out
when I went to log into her online account and it sent a 2FA text to the
phone which is received - then I tested sending ....)

Have tried all the tips - reboot, safe mode, cleaning SIM tray and card.

SIM works OK in another phone.

Apparently the phone is (just) in warranty, but I'm suspecting that'll be
a 6-week wait situation ... annoyingly SWMBO relies a lot on the phone
because of the screen size (she's partially sighted).

Have I missed anything obvious.

Completely stock Android etc.

If the battery is removable - remove it. A reboot doesn't necessarily
reset crashed software whereas a total remove of the power for 5 minutes
will.

Old June 13th 19, 11:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started ****ing about.

Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However try to make
a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted.

SMS send/receive OK, so the phone is talking ********. (Found this out
when I went to log into her online account and it sent a 2FA text to the
phone which is received - then I tested sending ....)

Have tried all the tips - reboot, safe mode, cleaning SIM tray and card.

SIM works OK in another phone.

Apparently the phone is (just) in warranty, but I'm suspecting that'll be
a 6-week wait situation ... annoyingly SWMBO relies a lot on the phone
because of the screen size (she's partially sighted).

Have I missed anything obvious.

Completely stock Android etc.

Check all your APN settings. My One+3T phone is crap at sorting out its
network connections after a factory reset. My SIM card work fine in other
phones but in mine I have to set up all the APN settings manually. After
that it works fine.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old June 14th 19, 11:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 16:41:01 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started ****ing about.

Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However try to make
a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted.

SMS send/receive OK, so the phone is talking ********. (Found this out
when I went to log into her online account and it sent a 2FA text to the
phone which is received - then I tested sending ....)

Have tried all the tips - reboot, safe mode, cleaning SIM tray and card.

SIM works OK in another phone.

Apparently the phone is (just) in warranty, but I'm suspecting that'll
be a 6-week wait situation ... annoyingly SWMBO relies a lot on the
phone because of the screen size (she's partially sighted).

Have I missed anything obvious.

Completely stock Android etc.

Cheers for all replies.

battery is not removable However am leaving phone off for a few hours.
See what happens.

Going through various recommended steps, and looking at the diagnostic
report for the GSM module, everything is talking. It knows it's IMEI
number, can see all the networks around here. So the modem is working and
the network can happily communicate with it.

Haven't tried a factory reset, yet.

Tesco (supplier) say it's still in warranty and I can have it
"repaired" (as if). But that leaves SWMBO phoneless for a while.

My water is smelling some weird software issue. With predictable
resignation, the ****ing phone is incapable of managing to do the *one
job* you'd expect a phone to do. Says it all about modern life. All of a
sudden a ferry company with no ships makes sense - and they'd probably
win an award for customer service.
Old June 14th 19, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

battery is not removable

Phones without removable battery may have a "soft battery removal"
option, press and hold power button for a long (e.g 60 seconds) time.
Old June 14th 19, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:57:22 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

battery is not removable

Phones without removable battery may have a "soft battery removal"
option, press and hold power button for a long (e.g 60 seconds) time.

Well did a factory reset. No change, but managed to work out phone can
call 999 ....