Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortise lock question

I needed to replace the mortise lock on a wooden patio door, so I bought another ERA brand one online hoping it'd fit without much adjustment.

The lock fits just fine but the issue is the plate that covers the lock, and the keep.

The doors have rebates on both edges and overlap, the keep and plate are designed to fit this rebate. I thought I could use the old ones on my new lock but although the lock has the same basic dimensions the layout is subtly different such that the old ones won't fit.

I need to order a set of the bits required and am wondering what they are called to help find them online?

This photo shows what I'm talking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tn0qxl2sj...43115.jpg?dl=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Murmansk" wrote in message
The lock fits just fine but the issue is the plate that covers the lock,
and the keep.

The doors have rebates on both edges and overlap, the keep and plate are
designed to fit this rebate. I thought I could use the old ones on my new
lock but although the lock has the same basic dimensions the layout is
subtly different such that the old ones won't fit.

When I had this problem, after a lock began to jam and needed to be
replaced, I just used the new striker plate that came with the new lock,
which meant chiselling out a bit more of the door frame to take the slightly
different placement of the "pockets" for the handle and lock bolts.

I never know whether "mortise" should be spelled "mortice" in the UK.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mortise lists both spellings
without any "UK / US" advice. I would tend to think of "mortise" as the
American spelling of "mortice".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 May 2019 10:36:07 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
The doors have rebates on both edges and overlap,

Double door rebate conversion kit, or similar

http://www.conquest-ironmongery.co.u...s-c102x3204051

https://ironmongeryexperts.co.uk/loc...bate-sets.html

https://www.imperiallocks.co.uk/rebate-sets/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks folks - makes sense that it'd be called "rebate set" with the benefit of hindsight!

As for the spelling of mortice/mortise, again with the benefit of hindsight, I prefer mortice!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 11:14, NY wrote:
I never know whether "mortise" should be spelled "mortice" in the UK.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mortise lists both
spellings without any "UK / US" advice. I would tend to think of
"mortise" as the American spelling of "mortice".

I looked it up. There seems to be no clear afavouritre,. I spell it mortice.

"I before E when surrounding a C"....

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 10:36, Murmansk wrote:
I needed to replace the mortise lock on a wooden patio door, so I bought another ERA brand one online hoping it'd fit without much adjustment.

The lock fits just fine but the issue is the plate that covers the lock, and the keep.

The doors have rebates on both edges and overlap, the keep and plate are designed to fit this rebate. I thought I could use the old ones on my new lock but although the lock has the same basic dimensions the layout is subtly different such that the old ones won't fit.

I need to order a set of the bits required and am wondering what they are called to help find them online?

This photo shows what I'm talking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tn0qxl2sj...43115.jpg?dl=0

In the past faced with similar issues I have found it simpler to
"modify" the existing striker plate with a Dremel so that the new lock
clears.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most locks I have had have the bit the lock fits into when closed and they
are never it seems the same as the existing one. So you either unscrew the
old one and put on the new and chisel away the door to fit, or you go
bonkers and modify the old plate.
As for any handles and the key hole I'm surprised these are not all
different too, most of the locks in this house on internal doors are around
1939 vintage and although you can get almost exact replicas from the fitting
in the door standpoint almost all the holes are displaced by about half an
inch, making the job really annoying.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Murmansk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/05/2019 10:36, Murmansk wrote:
I needed to replace the mortise lock on a wooden patio door, so I bought another ERA brand one online hoping it'd fit without much adjustment.

The lock fits just fine but the issue is the plate that covers the lock, and the keep.

The doors have rebates on both edges and overlap, the keep and plate are designed to fit this rebate. I thought I could use the old ones on my new lock but although the lock has the same basic dimensions the layout is subtly different such that the old ones won't fit.

I need to order a set of the bits required and am wondering what they are called to help find them online?

This photo shows what I'm talking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tn0qxl2sj...43115.jpg?dl=0

The alternative approach is to take some bits out of the new lock and
use that to repair the old one. It obviously depends on what's wrong
with the old one and how much ERA have changed the design internally
over the years.