DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Checking USB power output (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635633-checking-usb-power-output.html)

David May 14th 19 11:30 AM

Checking USB power output

Following on from my brief foray into solar power, I noted that it wasn't
easy to measure the power output of the USB adapter.

Amazon offers, for instance
https://www.amazon.co.uk/COOWOO-Mult...y-Banks-Black/
dp/B06XFZFZX6/

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Mo...ers-Panels/dp/
B01CVMAK2M/.

I'm sure some people here have used such things. Does anyone have a
recommendation?

Should I be looking for USB 3 capability for the few USB 3 devices I use
(none of which are chargeable).

Cheers

Dave R

---

Jim[_87_] May 14th 19 11:57 AM

Checking USB power output

"David" wrote in message
Following on from my brief foray into solar power, I noted that it wasn't
easy to measure the power output of the USB adapter.

Amazon offers, for instance
https://www.amazon.co.uk/COOWOO-Mult...y-Banks-Black/
dp/B06XFZFZX6/

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Mo...ers-Panels/dp/
B01CVMAK2M/.

I'm sure some people here have used such things. Does anyone have a
recommendation?

Should I be looking for USB 3 capability for the few USB 3 devices I use
(none of which are chargeable).

Cheers

Dave R

I use one of these with a dummy load ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-T-UT6...981650db1950ba

Jim[_87_] May 14th 19 12:22 PM

Checking USB power output

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Isola...W9bb zs3SoigA

Brian Gaff May 14th 19 05:16 PM

Checking USB power output

As fare as I can see usb3 is just the speed.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Steve Walker[_5_] May 14th 19 09:58 PM

Checking USB power output

On 14/05/2019 17:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
As fare as I can see usb3 is just the speed.
Brian

USB 3 can also provide more power.

As standard, USB 2 can provide up to 500mA; USB 3 up to 900mA and
special versions for fast charging connected devices, up to 1500mA.

SteveW

Dennis@home May 14th 19 10:34 PM

Checking USB power output

On 14/05/2019 21:58, Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/05/2019 17:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
As fare as I can see usb3 is just the speed.
Â* Brian

USB 3 can also provide more power.

As standard, USB 2 can provide up to 500mA; USB 3 up to 900mA and
special versions for fast charging connected devices, up to 1500mA.

SteveW

The latest USB 3.1 (IIRC) can supply a lot more than that and at a
higher voltage than 5V.