DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stone houses. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/634972-stone-houses.html)

Clive Arthur April 23rd 19 03:52 PM

Stone houses.

Thinking of moving to west Cornwall. I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses. We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed. The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal. What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side. Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cheers
--
Clive

Michael Chare[_4_] April 23rd 19 04:12 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 15:52, Clive Arthur wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall.Â* I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses.Â* We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed.Â* The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal.Â* What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side.Â* Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cheers

When you say stone, do you mean large bits cut to shape or what you
might think of as pebbles? One issue may be the absense of a damp proof
course.

--
Michael Chare

harry April 23rd 19 04:20 PM

Stone houses.

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 15:52:12 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall. I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses. We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed. The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal. What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side. Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cheers
--
Clive

You need to get in the roof space and make sure that the chimney has not been left hanging in midair. It has been known.

Another factor is when the chimney stack has multiple flues from adjacent properties.
ie, back to back fireplaces.
That can REALLY muck things up.

A lot of noise in terrace houses comes via the roof space if the partition wall is not "sealed" to the roof.

Usually stone built terrace houses have much thicker partition walls that transmit very little noise.

[email protected] April 23rd 19 04:22 PM

Stone houses.

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 15:52:12 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall. I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses. We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed. The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal. What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side. Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cheers

much heavier means less sound transmission. Cold & Radon are the prime problems.

NT

harry April 23rd 19 04:24 PM

Stone houses.

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 15:52:12 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall. I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses. We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed. The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal. What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side. Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cornwall- think Radon.
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environm...tection-radon/

Dennis@home April 23rd 19 04:32 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 16:22, wrote:
[...]

Not much worse than living next to Chernobyl.

Some houses may need a forced air ventilation system to reduce the
radiation below Chernobyl levels.

If buying check that its been tested and what levels it has so you can
determine how much its going to cost to "fix".

Clive Arthur April 23rd 19 04:43 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 16:12, Michael Chare wrote:

snip

When you say stone, do you mean large bits cut to shape or what you
might think of as pebbles? One issue may be the absense of a damp proof
course.

Large bits cut to shape.

Cheers
--
Clive

Tricky Dicky[_4_] April 23rd 19 05:15 PM

Stone houses.

Get a structural survey done, might cost you a few hundred pounds but at least you will have peace of mind otherwise you are simply guessing and problems may come back to bite you. A house purchase is something you cannot afford to go wrong. Do not rely on a building society survey these can often only be drive by's their only concern is the valuation and how easy it is to get their money back in a foreclosure, sometimes they recommend some immediate repairs as part of mortgage conditions but are not as detailed as a structural survey.

You can always put a bid in for a property even a deposit subject to survey and simply walk away if the survey is unsatisfactory the only unrecoverable costs being that of the survey fee.

Richard

charles April 23rd 19 05:23 PM

Stone houses.

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 15:52:12 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall. I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses. We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed. The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal. What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side. Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cornwall- think Radon.

everybody in Cormwall is killed of by radiation? I think not.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

[email protected] April 23rd 19 05:41 PM

Stone houses.

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 17:27:23 UTC+1, charles wrote:
everybody in Cormwall is killed of by radiation? I think not.

I expect all that clotted cream has an effect on the arteries too

Owain

TimW April 23rd 19 06:22 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 17:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Get a structural survey done, might cost you a few hundred pounds but at least you will have peace of mind otherwise you are simply guessing and problems may come back to bite you. A house purchase is something you cannot afford to go wrong. Do not rely on a building society survey these can often only be drive by's their only concern is the valuation and how easy it is to get their money back in a foreclosure, sometimes they recommend some immediate repairs as part of mortgage conditions but are not as detailed as a structural survey.

You can always put a bid in for a property even a deposit subject to survey and simply walk away if the survey is unsatisfactory the only unrecoverable costs being that of the survey fee.

Richard

And a local surveyor who is familiar with the local old building types
and structures. Remember they can only report on what they can see.
TW

Clive Arthur April 23rd 19 06:31 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 17:53, Chris Hogg wrote:

snipped

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 15:52:05 +0100, Clive Arthur
wrote:

Thinking of moving to west Cornwall. I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses. We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

So you'll be a neighbour, then.

Can't really comment about the chimney, although if it's a granite
cottage built a century or more ago, the walls are usually pretty
thick, and the flue could well be within the wall.

This picture is in Penzance, picked at random, but it seems there are
streets and streets of this type of construction...

Cheers
--
Clive

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 23rd 19 06:52 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 17:23, charles wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

smokers have an above average (for smokers) death rate.

It is one of the very few real data points on radiation that show it
having a slight ill effect.

Cornwall is of course far more radiactive than the Fukushima exclusion
zone...

"There are a number of important radon hotspots in the UK. The most
noticeable one is Cornwall in the south-west where the average UK
background dose is 7.8 mSv, nearly three times the national average.
This is due to the presence of igneous granite, which naturally contains
more uranium (10-20 parts per million) than other rocks."

http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2011/12/...ion-in-the-uk/

7.8mSv is nowt to worry about. The problem is ground floors and cellars

Where radon - which is very heavy - can collect. You can go 100 times
higher if ventilation is not good.

fully understood.

newshound April 23rd 19 07:43 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 15:52, Clive Arthur wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall.Â* I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses.Â* We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed.Â* The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Is there a distinct chimney breast downstairs, or is the wall three feet
thick? It would be much more effort to remove a true "chimney breast" in
a stone house than a brick one, so I think it is likely that the agent
is right. Is there a loft where you can see the flue structure?

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal.Â* What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side.Â* Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

It all depends. I think that in Cornwall you find both the random stone,
"rubble fill" structure that we have in the Cotswolds (and many other
parts of the UK) together with the "stone sawn into large bricks"
construction that you find in early industrial Yorkshire and Lancashire.
You also get the distinctive slate construction. It shouldn't be too
difficult to get an idea of the "party wall" thickness by direct
measurement. I would generally expect stone terraces to be better than
brick.

In my 1780's "rubble fill" end terrace cottage, the party wall was
originally five inch oak "studwork" with lath and plaster on each side,
but the neighbours side now has a concrete block face inboard of the
"studding".

Cheers

newshound April 23rd 19 07:44 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 16:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 08:22:11 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

Only if you have a cellar ?

No, it still potentially comes up through the floor (depending on the
construction).

newshound April 23rd 19 07:45 PM

Stone houses.

harry wrote:
[...]

After their Brexit vote I was thinking brain damage.

newshound April 23rd 19 07:49 PM

Stone houses.

wrote:

Thinking of moving to west Cornwall.Â* I'm used to old brick built houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses.Â* We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

So you'll be a neighbour, then.

Can't really comment about the chimney, although if it's a granite
cottage built a century or more ago, the walls are usually pretty
thick, and the flue could well be within the wall.

This picture is in Penzance, picked at random, but it seems there are
streets and streets of this type of construction...

Cheers

Yes well those are what I think of as stone "bricks". Wall thickness
(including party walls) is likely to be at least 9 inches. They will be
single skin of course.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 23rd 19 07:50 PM

Stone houses.

Â*Â*Â* harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 15:52:12 UTC+1, Clive ArthurÂ* wrote:
Thinking of moving to west Cornwall.Â* I'm used to old brick built
houses
here, but there they're mainly old stone houses.Â* We'd be looking at a
terrace to start until we can sell here.

One we saw had a downstairs fireplace intact but the upstairs fireplace
removed.Â* The hearthstone was still there but someone appears to have
stolen the chimney breast, though the chimney is still on the roof.

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal.Â* What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Also, brick terraces can be quite noisy, side to side.Â* Should I expect
that a stone terrace is better in this respect?

Cornwall- think Radon.

everybody in Cormwall is killed of by radiation?Â* I think not.

After their Brexit vote I was thinking brain damage.

Nah. you get that from Brown Rice and Islington

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 23rd 19 10:33 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 23:02, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

smokers have an above average (for smokers) death rate.

This is because the smoke is inhaled deep into the lungs.

It is one of the very few real data points on radiation that show it
having a slight ill effect.

Cornwall is of course far more radiactive than the Fukushima exclusion
zone...

"There are a number of important radon hotspots in the UK. The most
noticeable one is Cornwall in the south-west where the average UK
background dose is 7.8 mSv, nearly three times the national average.
This is due to the presence of igneous granite, which naturally
contains more uranium (10-20 parts per million) than other rocks."

Oy, you should know better than this. 7.8 mSv PER WHAT?

Year.

I assume. I cut and pasted that.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Fredxx[_3_] April 23rd 19 10:53 PM

Stone houses.

[...]

A cellar means you can ventilate the Radon away.

harry April 24th 19 07:07 AM

Stone houses.

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 17:15:58 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Get a structural survey done, might cost you a few hundred pounds but at least you will have peace of mind otherwise you are simply guessing and problems may come back to bite you. A house purchase is something you cannot afford to go wrong. Do not rely on a building society survey these can often only be drive by's their only concern is the valuation and how easy it is to get their money back in a foreclosure, sometimes they recommend some immediate repairs as part of mortgage conditions but are not as detailed as a structural survey.

You can always put a bid in for a property even a deposit subject to survey and simply walk away if the survey is unsatisfactory the only unrecoverable costs being that of the survey fee.

Richard

It's far better to see if there are any obvious problems before you get these wasters in.
Save some money.

If anything is wrong demand a price reduction.

harry April 24th 19 07:11 AM

Stone houses.

harry wrote:
[...]

You really are a ****-fer-brains.

A significant number die horribly of cancer and have their life shortened.
The ones that don't address the problem.

Graeme[_7_] April 24th 19 08:54 AM

Stone houses.

In message , Clive Arthur
writes

Here, I'd be very concerned, but the agent seemed to think it was quite
normal. What witchcraft is this, does it mean that the flues are
incorporated into the thickness of the wall and there was no chimney
breast?

Interesting question. We're at the opposite end (Aberdeenshire), in a
granite built house (1880s), with solid granite external walls 32 - 36
inches thick. Most fireplaces have been removed over the years, but
some were conventional with a chimney breast while others were in the
wall. Easy to see, as below the carpet the original granite heath is
still visible. All the fireplaces are/were on external walls.

Yes, granite houses are cold, but Aberdeenshire is colder than Cornwall.

Yes, parts of Aberdeenshire, like parts of Cornwall, enjoy Radon, but I
have yet to meet anyone who worries about it, or has taken any form of
action.

--
Graeme

Andrew[_22_] April 24th 19 10:49 AM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 16:22, wrote:
[...]

In Cornwall, Mundic block is an issue in many 'newer' properties.

Andrew[_22_] April 24th 19 10:51 AM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 17:41, wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 17:27:23 UTC+1, charles wrote:
everybody in Cormwall is killed of by radiation? I think not.

I expect all that clotted cream has an effect on the arteries too

Owain

Only if you apply it to the scone before/after the jam :-)

newshound April 24th 19 01:37 PM

Stone houses.

On 24/04/2019 11:02, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 19:44:51 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

I thought it was heavier than air ... if so how does it come "up" ?

Well if you really believe the cellar is sealed, it will fill up. And
then come up. In reality dynamic pressure changes associated with wind
on doors and windows will be more than enough to "stir things up" so
that it mixes with ground floor air.

newshound April 24th 19 02:13 PM

Stone houses.

On 24/04/2019 13:58, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:37:17 +0100, newshound wrote:

I thought it was heavier than air ... if so how does it come "up" ?

Well if you really believe the cellar is sealed, it will fill up. And
then come up. In reality dynamic pressure changes associated with wind
on doors and windows will be more than enough to "stir things up" so
that it mixes with ground floor air.

Not sure I'd trust that with LPG ... known for pooling and exploding ...

One reason being that LPG cools significantly as it leaks. It doesn't
alter the fact that it will eventually disperse by diffusion anyway, if
it is not being replaced. You need quite a deep containment (like a
ship's hold or a brewing vessel) for carbon dioxide to be really
dangerous (unless there is a huge leak).

harry April 24th 19 03:10 PM

Stone houses.

On Wednesday, 24 April 2019 08:54:58 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , Clive Arthur
writes

[...]

If you go down your local builders merchant, they will have radon proof membranes.
They even have it where I live.
But then I hear you associate with some very dim people.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rado...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 24th 19 03:30 PM

Stone houses.

[...]

overpressure.

And diffusion

--
New Socialism consists essentially in being seen to have your heart in
the right place whilst your head is in the clouds and your hand is in

ARW April 24th 19 07:03 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 17:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Get a structural survey done, might cost you a few hundred pounds but at least you will have peace of mind otherwise you are simply guessing and problems may come back to bite you. A house purchase is something you cannot afford to go wrong. Do not rely on a building society survey these can often only be drive by's their only concern is the valuation and how easy it is to get their money back in a foreclosure, sometimes they recommend some immediate repairs as part of mortgage conditions but are not as detailed as a structural survey.

You can always put a bid in for a property even a deposit subject to survey and simply walk away if the survey is unsatisfactory the only unrecoverable costs being that of the survey fee.

Did you mean a look on Google Street view or a real drive by in a car?

Maybe even slowing down to 20MPH as they pass the house on their way to
Starbucks?

--

Adam

ARW April 24th 19 07:08 PM

Stone houses.

On 23/04/2019 16:32, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/04/2019 16:22, wrote:
[...]

Of course a working chimney would have solved that.

"Much of Cornwall is designated as a Radon affected area."

from

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environm...tection-radon/

How's your chemo going? You mentioned it the other day and said it left
you a bit knackered. But other than that?

--
Adam

whisky-dave[_2_] April 25th 19 01:25 PM

Stone houses.

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 15:52:12 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:

You shouldn't throw glass in stone houses or something like that. :-)

Vir Campestris April 25th 19 09:23 PM

Stone houses.

On 24/04/2019 15:10, harry wrote:
If you go down your local builders merchant, they will have radon proof membranes.
They even have it where I live.
But then I hear you associate with some very dim people.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rado...mbrane&aqs=chr

That proves there is a market for them - possibly driven by the NRPB
advice that Chris's link discredits.

It does not prove there is a need.

Andy

[email protected] April 25th 19 09:49 PM

Stone houses.

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 21:23:12 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/04/2019 15:10, harry wrote:
If you go down your local builders merchant, they will have radon proof membranes.
They even have it where I live.
But then I hear you associate with some very dim people.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rado...mbrane&aqs=chr

That proves there is a market for them - possibly driven by the NRPB
advice that Chris's link discredits.

It does not prove there is a need.

Andy

What is this Chris's link?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 26th 19 06:46 AM

Stone houses.

On 25/04/2019 21:23, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/04/2019 15:10, harry wrote:
If you go down your local builders merchant, they will have radon
proof membranes.
They even have it where I live.
But then I hear you associate with some very dim people.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rado...mbrane&aqs=chr

That proves there is a market for them - possibly driven by the NRPB
advice that Chris's link discredits.

It does not prove there is a need.

Andy

I think it is part of building regs.

Mark Twain

RJH[_2_] April 26th 19 08:36 AM

Stone houses.

On 24/04/2019 08:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 08:19:04 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

harry wrote:

Cornwall- think Radon.

everybody in Cormwall is killed of by radiation? I think not.

You really are a ****-fer-brains.

A significant number die horribly of cancer and have their life shortened.
The ones that don't address the problem.

I shall be interested to see your evidence that radon in Cornwall
causes a significant number there to die of cancer caused by it. In
reality, there isn't any evidence (I looked, a few years ago; IIRC
lung cancer rates were below the national average). Very few people
'address the problem', as you put it, because there isn't a problem.

As usual you're talking through your arse.

See for example https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1068/a251361

"The differences between observed and predicted mortality in Cornwall
and Devon districts were compared with average indoor levels of radon,
which varied considerably between districts. Residual variations in
lung cancer mortality were not significantly correlated with average
indoor radon measurements. The current advice of the National
Radiological Protection Board to government is to concentrate radon
measurements, remedial action, and preventive action principally on
Cornwall and Devon, but cross-sectional geographical data do not
support the hypothesis that raised levels of radon indoors in
southwest England have an important effect on lung cancer mortality".

Note that last sentence!

A more recent article written by health professionals ('yours' is
written by an economic geographer):

"Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer among smokers and the
leading cause among non-smokers . . . Lung cancer is the leading cause
of cancer death in the United States (US), and smoking is the strongest
risk factor for the disease [1]. The second greatest risk factor is
exposure to radon, which causes approximately 21,000 cases of lung
cancer per year [2€“8]. High levels of radon exposure in homes have been
associated with lung cancer risk, regardless of the patients smoking
status, according to analyses of pooled data from multiple studies in
China, Europe, and North America" (p.962)

Acree, P., Puckett, M., & Neri, A. (2017). Evaluating Progress in Radon
Control Activities for Lung Cancer Prevention in National Comprehensive
Cancer Control Program Plans, 2011€“2015. Journal of Community Health,
42(5), 962€“967. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-017-0342-7

--
Cheers, Rob

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 26th 19 09:05 AM

Stone houses.

On 26/04/2019 08:36, RJH wrote:
On 24/04/2019 08:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 08:19:04 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:11:26 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 17:27:23 UTC+1, charlesÂ* wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* harry wrote:

[...]

Of course the actual radiation may in the end not be the problem

Radon has a relatively short half life and rapidly decays via
polonium/bismuth/thallium to lead.

All of these are heavy metals that in people with restricted cough
ability (smokers) is likely to lead to long term retention of inhaled
gases and decay products and tissue damage.

Clive Arthur April 26th 19 09:32 AM

Stone houses.

wrote:

Thinking of moving to west Cornwall.

So you'll be a neighbour, then.

What's the local situation regarding tradesmen? You get (obviously)
more house for your money if it needs work, but I don't have the time or
most of the skills. Here, in Berks, getting work done can be a bit of a
struggle and expensive.

Cheers
--
Clive

djc April 26th 19 08:29 PM

Stone houses.

On 25/04/2019 21:23, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/04/2019 15:10, harry wrote:
If you go down your local builders merchant, they will have radon
proof membranes.
They even have it where I live.
But then I hear you associate with some very dim people.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rado...mbrane&aqs=chr

That proves there is a market for them - possibly driven by the NRPB
advice that Chris's link discredits.

The surveyor of my house (in South Somerset) three years ago was obliged
to cut-n-paste the following in the survey:

4.5 The following statement was prepared by the RICS and must be
included in survey reports for properties in
areas notified as possibly affected by radon; this includes Dorset,
Devon and Somerset. The paragraph
may not apply to the specific location:
€œThe National Radiological Protection Board of Chilton, Didcot,
Oxfordshire OX11 0RO (NRPB) has
identified the area in which the property is situated as one in which,
in more that 1% of the dwellings, the
levels of radon gas entering the property are such that remedial action
is recommended. Radon is a naturally
occurring, colourless gas that is radioactive and is present in varying
quantities in all rocks and soils. A
Government survey has shown that the majority of houses in the UK do not
have significant radon levels.
For most people the risk from radon is insignificant compared to the
other risks of everyday life, such as fatal
accidents in the home. It is not possible during an inspection or survey
to determine whether radon gas is
present in any given building as the gas is colourless and odourless.
Tests can be carried out to assess the
level of radon in a building. At a small charge, test instruments and
results are available by post from the
NRPB and other approved laboratories. The minimum testing period is
three months. The NRPB strongly
advises against using shorter-term testing instruments as they can give
misleading results. If tests have not
been carried out, they are recommended. It has been the experience of
the NRPB that it is not expensive, in
proportion to the value of the property to take the recommended remedial
measures.€
4.6 The National Radiological Protection Board has now been renamed as
the Health Protection Agency

It does not prove there is a need.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Vir Campestris April 26th 19 09:53 PM

Stone houses.

On 26/04/2019 08:36, RJH wrote:

[...]

Thank you. That does indeed suggest there is a risk. Summary suggests a
couple of thousand cases annually in the USA.

If I lived in a granite area I think I'd follow more of the links!

Andy