Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cookers

Looking for a bit of guidance here, as I'm (hopefully temporarily)
struck down and waiting the results of scans etc.

Two days ago, there was a spffffft, all the house lights dimmed and the
cooker went off while heating a pie for our disabled "house guest".

I've checked everything to the power switch above the cooker - all OK.
Nothing on the cooker comes on, though, so we will have to get a new one
delivered and installed. Reluctantly, I've been browsing the Curry's
website.

The old cooker has controls at the top of an upstand at the back, and is
55cm wide. Her indoors has put up with it (Tricity Bendix) for at least
20 years in spite of the poor design and construction, where bits kept
falling off etc.

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

It looks as though we will have to go down to a 50cm wide one to avoid
the main switch coming over the LH hobs. We also, presumably, will have
to invest in some sort of wall mounted splashback to protect the
wallpaper behind the cooker or hide the lack of it.

I wonder if anyone knows of a 55cm wide cooker with high controls at the
back, or can recommend a lowish cost 50cm wide one that is reasonably
well built. High controls would be good.

I would have installed it myself up to a few weeks ago. But we will have
to go for a supplier who will deliver and install.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
[...]

You seem to have discounted the repair option.

Chances are the oven element has gone and tripped the circuit breaker or
blown the fuse on the cooker circuit. It may well be of course that spares
arent available due to its age but some components stay pretty constant
over the years so you never know. Do you know the model name or number? It
probably has an identity plate situated somewhere.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

New elements are available for the Tricity Bendix SB 431W (fan oven) and SB
412W (conventional oven) which match the description of your cooker.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 19:25:43 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
It looks as though we will have to go down to a 50cm wide one to avoid
the main switch coming over the LH hobs. We also, presumably, will have
to invest in some sort of wall mounted splashback to protect the
wallpaper behind the cooker or hide the lack of it.
I wonder if anyone knows of a 55cm wide cooker with high controls at the
back, or can recommend a lowish cost 50cm wide one that is reasonably
well built. High controls would be good.

AO.com have 55 cookers less than 55cm wide, starting with an white Electra at £165.

https://ao.com/l/electric_cookers-wi...aol_saleincvat

Black Beko at £189 is cheapest for free next day delivery.

Amica AFS5500WH at £254 is cheapest for 2-year warranty.

Connection is £75.00 and disposal of the old one is £20.

"Get your new cooker fitted the same day its delivered. Our engineers will disconnect your old appliance before getting your new one set up. We'll give your new appliance a full health check to ensure its safe and ready to use straight away."

I can't see any cookers with high level controls at the back; I suspect they're no longer allowed due to the risks of reaching over hot pans.

Stainless steel splashback from £40 + £10 delivery, stick to the wall with silicone.

https://www.kitchen-surplus.co.uk/st...k_750_600.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 19:00:42 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Chances are the oven element has gone and tripped the circuit breaker or
blown the fuse on the cooker circuit

Except that he has power all the way to the cooker switch.

I'd endorse ao.com - we have used them for a number of items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2019 21:06, Bob Eager wrote:

I'd endorse ao.com - we have used them for a number of items.

+1
I used them for the sixth time a few days ago. Competitive pricing plus
excellent delivery. I selected a delivery day and got a text message
and email at around 7am on the day of delivery giving a one hour
delivery slot and a phone call from the delivery driver 10 minutes
before he turned up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:
[...]

ao.com have 30 listed at that width, 17 in all electric:

https://ao.com/l/electric_cookers-st..._cm/1-36/9-11/

I would have installed it myself up to a few weeks ago. But we will have
to go for a supplier who will deliver and install.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 21:06:59 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 19:00:42 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Chances are the oven element has gone and tripped the circuit breaker or
blown the fuse on the cooker circuit

Except that he has power all the way to the cooker switch.

If that's correct, maybe a switch, connector etc in the oven. Usually fixable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I have no idea if this is helpful, but we put in a new Hotpoint 50 cms
wide cooker. Not the most expensive, but it seems okay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
I have no idea if this is helpful, but we put in a new Hotpoint 50 cms
wide cooker. Not the most expensive, but it seems okay.

Thanks to everyone for the input, all of which is helpful.

On the subject of repairs to the present cooker, SWMBO has never liked
it, and this was compounded by the faults - largely caused by the way
handles and other parts were held on by self tappers into very thin
blind behind metal.
She is under huge strain nursing our domineering "house guest" so I have
to sympathise with what she wants. At the moment I am also not up to
dragging the cooker out to look at what may have gone wrong, but there
is vague talk of a son appearing tomorrow, who I might be able to
persuade to help.
I have looked through AO.com and, ignoring different colours of the same
beast, there seem to be 3, 55cm cookers under 500, which is our limit.
At least one of these appears cheaper in Curry's, although there it is
out of stock. I also see profit warnings and "sell" advice about AO.com.

SWMBO wants to see and feel things like the way the doors open and the
knobs turn, so we will have a look tomorrow. She seems happy to go to a
basic 50cm cooker if it feels right and holds together, and I might be
up to hacking together a small shelf to fill in the gap.

The wall behind the upstand of the old cooker is papered, so I assume we
can manage without a splashback at least in the short term.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

In message , mechanic
writes
On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 17:36:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 21:06:59 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 19:00:42 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Chances are the oven element has gone and tripped the circuit breaker or
blown the fuse on the cooker circuit

Except that he has power all the way to the cooker switch.

If that's correct, maybe a switch, connector etc in the oven.
Usually fixable.

Last week we had a dead cooker with power apparently to the wall
switch, turned out the switch had failed so replacing that got the
cooker back working. At first I thought such switches didn't fail so
discounted that. But no new cooker needed (expensive AEG model!).

Thanks. I checked power up to the input to the switch, but not the
output, so I will check this if and when I can get a helper here. The
way the house lights flickered and dimmed when the failure occurred
still leave me to believe it was a near short rather than just the
single cooker oven supply (8A or so?) arcing over before failing.

The fact that the lights had time to flicker before the cooker MCB
tripped suggests a relatively high resistance fault. The element will
draw a lot more than 8A if there is an element wire to jacket fault near
the live end. This is not uncommon.

However, if you want a new cooker anyway, this is a good time to get it,
just an academic point about the fault.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 April 2019 13:42:41 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

Thanks. I checked power up to the input to the switch, but not the
output, so I will check this if and when I can get a helper here. The
way the house lights flickered and dimmed when the failure occurred
still leave me to believe it was a near short rather than just the
single cooker oven supply (8A or so?) arcing over before failing.

What you describe sounds like an arc-over failure. In which case the fault is likely to be visually spottable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

Take a look at AO

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 16:56:08 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

Take a look at AO

A few of us have suggested that, but he seems to think they may be
suspect in some way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

Take a look at AO

A few of us have suggested that, but he seems to think they may be
suspect in some way.

The Americans have a saying something like "She wants to see it, she
wants to touch it, She's from Missouri".
We might well go to AO.com, but only after her indoors has seen the
device that will sit in the kitchen for the next 20 or so years.

It doesn't look as though they are suspect, although the financial
results don't look very exciting.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 18:28:20 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

Take a look at AO

A few of us have suggested that, but he seems to think they may be
suspect in some way.

The Americans have a saying something like "She wants to see it, she
wants to touch it, She's from Missouri".
We might well go to AO.com, but only after her indoors has seen the
device that will sit in the kitchen for the next 20 or so years.

It doesn't look as though they are suspect, although the financial
results don't look very exciting.

Oh, I'd certainly look at it first.

There are many, many companies with worse financial results, e.g. Ocado.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

Take a look at AO

A few of us have suggested that, but he seems to think they may be
suspect in some way.

But he is just buying a cooker, not investing in the company. AO.com do
not make the cookers - they only sell them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 18:28, Bill wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes

On 06/04/2019 19:25, Bill wrote:

Curry's seem to do only one model the same size, it's unavailable and
out of stock, and also very expensive(799).

Take a look at AO

A few of us have suggested that, but he seems to think they may be
suspect in some way.

The Americans have a saying something like "She wants to see it, she
wants to touch it, She's from Missouri".
We might well go to AO.com, but only after her indoors has seen the
device that will sit in the kitchen for the next 20 or so years.

It doesn't look as though they are suspect, although the financial
results don't look very exciting.

Well, buy with a credit card, and there is no much to worry about. They
do next day delivery on many items.

(the whole white goods online delivery model does seem to have claimed a
number of victims over the years though - so it might not be best to
assume any will be there significantly into the future).

--
Cheers,

John.

Free standing gas cookers - do they come with connectors? David WE Roberts (Google) UK diy 24 September 21st 05 07:50 PM
Spare element for Cookers oven Gary Cavie UK diy 3 May 19th 04 05:17 PM
Baumatic cookers; any good? Neal Jones UK diy 9 May 12th 04 06:36 PM
Baumatic Cookers/Fridges Saeed UK diy 1 January 28th 04 08:11 AM
Powering two cookers off single radial electrical circuit Michael Brewer UK diy 20 January 27th 04 03:33 PM